Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

It wouldn't be especially surprising if ICM registered a narrowing on February's poll. They also registered a 5 point swing towards the No campaign between January and February. In January there was a 7-point gap (37-44) and February a 12 point one (37-49).

So we're looking at 39-46-15?

Bear in mind that February with ICM churned out 37-49-14, and in January churned out 37-44-19 we're looking at a bunch of polls broadly within the margin of error of each other, and a roughly even split of a reduced don't knows figure among both sides. It's not evidence of any great surge of momentum in either direction. It suggests the polls are a bit more volatile than they've been, but not much.

We can't really deduce much from this. The 5 point swing this purports to show has simply served to cancel out a swing of the same magnitude in the opposite direction a month ago.

Here's John Curtice' view after todays poll.

ICM’s findings prompted the independent polling expert Professor John Curtice to say that Better Together is “beginning to look like a campaign in trouble”.

Writing in today’s Scotland on Sunday, Curtice said: “Frightening voters with messages of economic doom and gloom is not working…a more confident and convincing vision is needed.”

Pleasing.

So we're looking at 39-46-15?

Bear in mind that February with ICM churned out 37-49-14, and in January churned out 37-44-19 we're looking at a bunch of polls broadly within the margin of error of each other, and a roughly even split of a reduced don't knows figure among both sides. It's not evidence of any great surge of momentum in either direction. It suggests the polls are a bit more volatile than they've been, but not much.

We can't really deduce much from this. The 5 point swing this purports to show has simply served to cancel out a swing of the same magnitude in the opposite direction a month ago.

Sorry champ, but three polls going from 37-37-39 and 44-49-46 is regardless of the obvious margin of error a surface-based shift towards Yes. Which given a similar change in most other polling data since the turn of the year, draws a line under the clear fact that Yes has substantially gained upon No - with yet a considerable distance to catch up - over the next six months. That much is indisputable, as is confirmed by the analysis of Professor John Curtice who spends far more time and with far more credibility analysing the situation than law trolls.

Thanks for playing anyway, 'self-declared Yes voter'.

Here's John Curtice' view after todays poll.

ICM’s findings prompted the independent polling expert Professor John Curtice to say that Better Together is “beginning to look like a campaign in trouble”.

Writing in today’s Scotland on Sunday, Curtice said: “Frightening voters with messages of economic doom and gloom is not working…a more confident and convincing vision is needed.”

Pleasing.

Project fear plus Lamont equals more votes for yes.

Professor Curtice, not a man known for his nationalist leanings said "The No side is beginning to look like a campaign in trouble"

Lets just leave that quote there for all Unionists to mull over for a while......

Does the Yes campaign still need a seismic shift? Just checking...

No are rowing away frantically in the lead, YES are tucked in and still on the bridle.

Do No have anything left for the final surge?

Will YES find plenty in the closing stages?

Edited by ayrmad

This poll appears to have Yes Scotland at the same as they were in the Record/Survation poll, 2 weeks ago, and a couple of points up on the last ICM poll, a shift yes, but not a significant shift as the paper claims, as for John Curtice, knows his stuff, but he does come down on the side of the nationalists

This poll appears to have Yes Scotland at the same as they were in the Record/Survation poll, 2 weeks ago, and a couple of points up on the last ICM poll, a shift yes, but not a significant shift as the paper claims, as for John Curtice, knows his stuff, but he does come down on the side of the nationalists

Are you for real?

Not voting is an option - I agree.

And how do you quantify that in terms of the election?

Only two piles will be created.

One labelled Yes and the other No.

That means you ignore the Don't Knows.

To be honest I'm really not sure what your point is here.

You've even acknowledged my point that a Don't Know can go 3 ways.

I'm making no assumptions about an even split.

The onlystatistically valid way to deal with them is to ignore them until they decide.

BTW "reputable" pollsters? Why are panelbase not reputable?

Were they not ridiculed in 2011?

Were they not the pollsters to put SNP in front in 2011?

Edited by ayrmad

I have no idea.

They were right though if they did.

Out of all of them perhaps they were the only pollsters to actually get their predictions correct.

I can't remember.

I just remember standing amongst lots of others watching the results come in on the big screen.

Staggering. I'll never forget it.

Neither do I, Renton will know which pollster stood out on it's own.

Not voting is an option - I agree.

And how do you quantify that in terms of the election?

Only two piles will be created.

One labelled Yes and the other No.

That means you ignore the Don't Knows.

To be honest I'm really not sure what your point is here.

You've even acknowledged my point that a Don't Know can go 3 ways.

I'm making no assumptions about an even split.

The onlystatistically valid way to deal with them is to ignore them until they decide.

BTW "reputable" pollsters? Why are panelbase not reputable?

There are 2 other options - don't vote or spoil you ballot.

Panelbase - issues with how they screen their polls - this is not just for the independence polls but all of them. They just aren't reliable imho. In any case I'm not a great believer in looking at one-off polls - you are better looking at trends across polls - it still looks static to me.

That could change of course but the nearer we get to September the less time to persuade. I still believe Yes have a chance but that is not polls but pure gut instinct telling me that the No vote is softer than the Yes vote.

There are 2 other options - don't vote or spoil you ballot.

Panelbase - issues with how they screen their polls - this is not just for the independence polls but all of them. They just aren't reliable imho. In any case I'm not a great believer in looking at one-off polls - you are better looking at trends across polls - it still looks static to me.

That could change of course but the nearer we get to September the less time to persuade. I still believe Yes have a chance but that is not polls but pure gut instinct telling me that the No vote is softer than the Yes vote.

Are we still looking at a "seismic shift"?