Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

It has moved 2% on panelbase towards Yes 38% to 40%, No losing the 2%, where as in Ipsos/MORI Yes vote has lost 2% going from 34% to 32%, No staying steady at 57%, YouGov showing Yes only up 3%, 32% to 35%, No only losing 1% now at 52%, so what does this say?

Alex Salmond said on the Andrew Marr show that Yes was up at 45% now.

What poll was that?....

It says you should not put too much emphasis on a single poll but focus on the trend instead.

A best fit line approximation through the trend will tell you what's happening and will indicate error bars on your results.

It's the only statistically relevant thing to do.

The trend is clearly showing a narrowing of the gap.

That isn't in doubt and frankly I think you'll struggle to find anyone with a brain who doesn't privately acknowledge that.

The only important question about the polls is where they predict a crossover from majority No to majority Yes.

Do they predict that to happen before September?

I'm not sure if they are converging fast enough or not.

My point is the fact at the current rate they are narrowing, but at the present rate they will not crossover, before the vote

Alex Salmond said on the Andrew Marr show that Yes was up at 45% now.

What poll was that?....

The Daily Record/Survation poll had Yes 39% No 48% DKs 13%, if you removed the DKs it showed Yes 45% No 55%

My point is the fact at the current rate they are narrowing, but at the present rate they will not crossover, before the vote

There are still a lot of voters that are not really engaging with the campaign as yet.

The referendum won't be lost or won in March. Many will make up their minds in the official campaign period.

Yes it's nice to see your campaign in the lead or your campaign showing momentum, but it's only a snap shot of how things are at the moment.

In my opinion it will be late August early September before we know who is likely to win this referendum.

There are still a lot of voters that are not really engaging with the campaign as yet.

The referendum won't be lost or won in March. Many will make up their minds in the official campaign period.

Yes it's nice to see your campaign in the lead or your campaign showing momentum, but it's only a snap shot of how things are at the moment.

In my opinion it will be late August early September before we know who is likely to win this referendum.

I'd agree to an extent. But unless there is seismic shift in voting intentions then Yes still face an uphill battle.

A wee bit rose-tinted, glass half-full kind of look at it

I'd agree to an extent. But unless there is seismic shift in voting intentions then Yes still face an uphill battle.

For once a common sense view of the subject

As most polls have a +/- 3% error then that's meaningless.

If we're sitting with the same results mid August and they're all accurate reflections YES will require a seismic shift,as it is, most of the poor that are being re-engaged will be voting YES, Scotland to it and the UK's shame has fcuking loads of disengaged poor, it's game on as far as I'm concerned.

Just watch the pish Lamont is spouting that should be good for a point or two.

It's frightening how many people believe her version of events.

Edited by ayrmad

It's frightening how many people believe her version of events.

Yeah, like keeping a currency union, remaining in the EU and with same conditions as the UK, the UK deficit being higher than Scotlands, polls having Yes at 45% etc...

Oh wait, that was someone else wasn't it?....

Never mind. :)

IP

You MUST if you want anything statistically relevant.

"Don't Know" isn't a ballot paper option.

Not voting is an option. That's why don't know can't be ignored. You can't assume they will break evenly to either side or not vote at all.

Also I would say that Panelbase is not exactly the best organisation to be doing any sort of polling. Poor screening is one of the major criticisms that has been aimed in their direction.

I'd be more inclined to look at the trend with the more reputable polling organisations.

What would be more interesting if there had been private polling showing a trend either way - but I'm not aware there has been anything of significance leaked by either campaign.

My gut tells me that things (for the moment) are pretty static. That may change but we shall see.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

The polls have moved a couple of points for the Yes campaign, but not moved enough for them to feel a difference, so suddenly prompted by Daily Record/Sturvation poll, which polled 39% Yes, 48%, DKs 13%, when you take out the DKs, it becomes Yes 45%, No 55%, Yes Scotland and the SNP have taken the poll rating without the DKs and are running with it, hard

Edited by ecto

But but but... swings...

There's a faint whiff of the 2011 campaign in this poll trend against a 'soft' lead, I for one hope it leads to the same decisive result.

When it comes to the street fighting I have no doubt which side is more motivated and funded to win. It just needs to get that far.