Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

26 minutes ago, 101 said:

Just as it's inadvisable to get to high when it breaks through 50% it's not great to get low when it dips. 

It's not sustainable for any country to have around half it's population wanting a different path without something giving eventually.

Thats true though which way it gives Im not a 100% convinced it has to be towards Yes (though it looks the most likely) and thats nothing to do with the current headlines and more to do with a continued lack of movement towards a referendum and a feeling that bordeom with the SNP in SG could set in (Any party in power anywhere at some point loses) We just need to be sure indy2 happens before that

43 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Well you did mention “separatists” - I naturally assumed you meant Brexiteers and the separatist UK government still determined to maintain and even increase separation from the EU.

No, I didn't mean that. 

20 hours ago, Antlion said:

Well you did mention “separatists” - I naturally assumed you meant Brexiteers and the separatist UK government still determined to maintain and even increase separation from the EU.

Did you somehow fail to factor in @Lex being a hopelessly thick troll?

I ain't signing up to pay for the rag in question, but I understand that the Torygraph is reporting on an interesting poll. I don't get particularly excited about polls, but this one made me smile. 

It must really rip the knitting of Scottish Tories - and their defenders on the Forum - to see a Tory supporting paper report that if these was a general election Labour would not only win it, but the Tories would have fewer Westminster seats than the SNP.  Think about that for a moment. 

It seems that the "but... but... Ferries... Loans... Strikes... SNP Baaaad" brigade aren't making much of a dent. 

15 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I have been gone a long time, but 40% of people supporting independence is now seen as a crushing defeat? It was 23% 10 years ago.

Looks like the opposite of a settled question.

Is that right, given the actual vote in 2014 (over 8 years ago) was 45%?

11 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I ain't signing up to pay for the rag in question, but I understand that the Torygraph is reporting on an interesting poll. I don't get particularly excited about polls, but this one made me smile. 

It must really rip the knitting of Scottish Tories - and their defenders on the Forum - to see a Tory supporting paper report that if these was a general election Labour would not only win it, but the Tories would have fewer Westminster seats than the SNP.  Think about that for a moment. 

It seems that the "but... but... Ferries... Loans... Strikes... SNP Baaaad" brigade aren't making much of a dent. 

This one?

Obviously not ever going to happen but would be incredibly funny if it did.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Is that right, given the actual vote in 2014 (over 8 years ago) was 45%?

He's not far off, there was a massive shift after the referendum was declared and campaigning kicked into gear, up until the vote.

image.thumb.png.fac161dfcaf543bf8717f821107c6f0d.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2014_Scottish_independence_referendum

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

He's not far off, there was a massive shift after the referendum was declared and campaigning kicked into gear, up until the vote.

image.thumb.png.fac161dfcaf543bf8717f821107c6f0d.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2014_Scottish_independence_referendum

I knew there was a swing when campaigning started. I'm just surprised it was as low as 23%. I had thought it was around 30% or so.

15 hours ago, Lex said:

OYF. Wasn't YES supposed to be well in the lead by now? After Brexit and the big bad Tories and everything else? What's going wrong?

image.png.5d6805e0e40cc1f1acccbb25856450be.png

To be honest, Brexit has demolished growth in this country and permanently lowered living standards relative to Europe but by now I suspect that level of disfunction has been normalised by the electorate. 

The Tories are finished, and now everyone are waiting for Starmer to run an essentially Cameron style government under a different label. 

Having said that, I don't think that's what's causing the issue for Indy just now. The GRR bill is generating enough heat within those who support Indy as those outside it and its been latched on to and even generated a bit of a anti Sturgeon narrative that has been getting a fair amount of exposure. For me that would probably account for the depression in Yes polling generally, if not that Ashcroft one specifically.

He seems to have found a more Eurosceptic sample than I'd be used to seeing, and his question about a de facto referendum was definitely leading, nd his findings on the S35 procedure used by the UK government are also not in line with previous polling (which doesnt mean hes wrong - but it does mean we have several straws in the wind and no clear trend) not to mention the changes in Polling look more dramatic for the sake of how infrequently he polls.

That's not to say there isn't a real issue. There is a chance that some of the heat goes out of the GRR debate in the months ahead that leads to some degree of righting of the ship as far as the SNP are concerned. There is definitely a very personal element to the coverage regarding Sturgeon. So that is a bit of a dangerous time for her. The special meeting in March to decide strategies for de facto refs, etc will bring the constitutional question back to the fore which will help them get out from under the GRR.

Having said that, Starmer is coming - regardless of his spineless non comittance to any tangible policy position to the left of Atilla The ***, the Tories are finished and I'm pretty sure there will be, if not a realignment towards Labour (even if Indy and by extension the SNP was only at 44%, its enough to win any FPTP election) then a period of good will where the great Scottish public will expect some degree of "getting along"

10 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Id guess some of it is just the length of time in power for the SNP even without a credible opposition it takes its toll and blame builds up for real or perceived failures

More the 2 months of onslaught from the unionist media abetted by the opportunists in the Tory and Labour Parties.  SLab in particular are a fucking disgrace - trying to have it both ways on gender reform.

I'd personally like the SNP to be less defensive about the whole issue and expose some of the downright lies that these b*****ds are getting away with unchallenged - especially the stuff around rape and the personalised venom directed at Sturgeon. Genuinely fed up of hearing/reading any pish about Sturgeon's Bill.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

27 minutes ago, virginton said:

Perhaps if the personalised venom is getting too much, then she can do everyone a favour and follow her big mate Jacinda Ahern out of the door.

Taking her dodgy, catastrophically bald husband with her. 

Who would be your preferred replacement? Genuine question - the likely runners and riders would be Forbes, Robertson, Yousaf or Brown? Gilruth maybe?

Edited by renton