Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

14 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm just a bit disappointed there's no Chopper Chope, Swayne, or Bone in the running. The real lunatics on the Tory backbenches don't get nearly enough exposure so having one of them in the public eye for a bit, other than spouting nonsense to an empty chamber on the Parliament channel, might just make a few ambivalent people wake the f**k up and realise what the HoC is actually about. Having said that, these utter welts still manage to get themselves elected in the first place, so maybe the general public is beyond all hope anyway. Would be amusing listening to what Chope would propose to do if they gave him the authority though.

Disagree.

Desmond Swayne was continuously proved correct on Covid.

Peter Bone was brilliant on Brexit .

Chope I haven’t followed so can’t comment.

What’s your substantive problems with those 3?

6 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Disagree.

Desmond Swayne was continuously proved correct on Covid.

Peter Bone was brilliant on Brexit .

Chope I haven’t followed so can’t comment.

What’s your substantive problems with those 3?

See below for some of the issues closest to the heart of Bone and his chums. The commentary is provided by Labour List. I think these illustrate their true natures and priorities; you probably agree, but quite like them.

'https://labourlist.org/2013/06/the-tory-talibans-alternative-queens-speech-in-full/

1. Face Coverings (Prohibition) – banning the Burka

7. Prisoners (Completion of Custodial Sentences) – all criminals would have to serve their full sentences
8. Fishing Grounds and Territorial Waters (Repatriation) – claim certain fishing areas as “sovereign” UK territory
9. School Governing Bodies (Adverse Weather Conditions) – schools will be forced to open during adverse weather
10. Capital Punishment – introducing the death penalty
11. Government Departments  – Amalgamates the Scotland Office, Wales Office and Northern Ireland Office

13. Equality and Diversity (Reform) – make positive discrimination illegal. Also would make Labour’s use of AWS illegal
18. Margaret Thatcher Day – renaming the August Bank Holiday after Thatcher
19. Department of Energy and Climate Change (Abolition) – ending co-ordinated attempts to deal with climate change

21. Foreign Aid Ring-Fencing (Abolition) – ending the UK’s commitment to 0.7% GDP spending on aid

22. Charitable Status for Religious Institutions – assumes all religious institutions are automatically charities

21. Foreign Aid Ring-Fencing (Abolition) – ending the UK’s commitment to 0.7% GDP spending on aid
22. Charitable Status for Religious Institutions – assumes all religious institutions are automatically charities
28. Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (Abolition) – abolishes Nick Clegg

30. United Kingdom (Withdrawal from the European Union) – leaving the EU (again)
31. Asylum (Time Limit) – places a time limit (3 months) on how long an asylum seeker has to claim asylum
32. Benefit Entitlement (Restriction) – restricts EU citizens access to UK benefits
34. Sexual Impropriety in Employment – abolishes sexual harassment cases in the workplace (except if a crime has been committed)
35. Collection of Nationality Data – data to be collected on the nationality of benefit claimants
36. Foreign Nationals (Access to Public Services)
39. Employment Opportunities – presumably another attempt to undermine the minimum wage and employment rights

It's not just a matter of what Chope & Co believe, they do occasionally come up with a decent policy idea even if it is for the wrong reason, decriminalising non-payment of TV licence in England and Wales comes to mind, it's also the way they continually go about abusing the convention and mechanics of the house for no other reason than to play puerile, self-indulgent games. Camping in the lobby for three days just to be first in the queue to present 70'odd members bills, most of them specious or obviously serving no purpose other than to 'get it up the libs'. Constant filibustering, and the nonsense of objecting to almost universally popular bills that have cross-party support on the basis that they 'haven't been debated properly' when there is clearly next to f**k-all to debate in any case. That's before you come to the fact that they appear to be pathologically incapable of voting in favour of any bill, of any description, which seeks to improve the lives of marginalised, repressed, or victimised individuals and groups. 

They may well be democratically elected MP's entitled to take their seats like any other, but it's abundantly clear that for them being an MP is not about governance, representation, or scrutiny of governance, it's simply an avenue to play petty games for the sake of it while troughing expenses with the absolute worst of them. You'd think that the electorate would occasionally ask themselves if the people they are electing actually are representative, and are actually working for them, and in Chope's case, unless his electorate is entirely made up of white men the wrong side of 75 who have huge attention-whore issues, then the answer to those questions can only be no. They serve no worthwhile purpose whatsoever due to the fact they decline to make any attempt at improving governance whether that takes the form of supporting good legislation or helping to defeat the bad, so in essence it's a small cadre of MP's who might as well not be there because the only purpose they do serve is to put the arses out of joint of the MP's who are actually grown-ups. Their histrionics are inevitably futile in any case, so they are quite literally a pain in the arse for the sake of being a pain in the arse, and encapsulate more than anything else everything that is ridiculous about Westminster.

Edited by Boo Khaki

3 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

See below for some of the issues closest to the heart of Bone and his chums. The commentary is provided by Labour List. I think these illustrate their true natures and priorities; you probably agree, but quite like them.

'https://labourlist.org/2013/06/the-tory-talibans-alternative-queens-speech-in-full/

7. Prisoners (Completion of Custodial Sentences) – all criminals would have to serve their full sentences
8. Fishing Grounds and Territorial Waters (Repatriation) – claim certain fishing areas as “sovereign” UK territory
9. School Governing Bodies (Adverse Weather Conditions) – schools will be forced to open during adverse weather
11. Government Departments  – Amalgamates the Scotland Office, Wales Office and Northern Ireland Office

13. Equality and Diversity (Reform) – make positive discrimination illegal. Also would make Labour’s use of AWS illegal
19. Department of Energy and Climate Change (Abolition) – ending co-ordinated attempts to deal with climate change

30. United Kingdom (Withdrawal from the European Union) – leaving the EU (again)
31. Asylum (Time Limit) – places a time limit (3 months) on how long an asylum seeker has to claim asylum
32. Benefit Entitlement (Restriction) – restricts EU citizens access to UK benefits
34. Sexual Impropriety in Employment – abolishes sexual harassment cases in the workplace (except if a crime has been committed)
35. Collection of Nationality Data – data to be collected on the nationality of benefit claimants
39. Employment Opportunities – presumably another attempt to undermine the minimum wage and employment rights

Most of those, I agree with.

I also think most Tories would also.

Sorry you guys are so out of kilter with most voters.

3 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Once you scrape through the false descriptions, those views are mostly spot on.

21 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Most of those, I agree with.

I also think most Tories would also.

Sorry you guys are so out of kilter with most voters.

I think you'll find it's loons like Chope and Co who are 'out of kilter with most voters', otherwise the HoC would be full of MP's who shared their beliefs, rather than their wee cadre standing out like a sore thumb thanks to their complete incongruity. Stands to reason that if their particular outlook and policies were what 'most Tories' thought, then the majority Tory government would be implementing them, rather than regarding a section of their own body of MP's as an embarrassing lunatic fringe they do their best to ignore.

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

Amazing how quickly the two proto-fascists post together, and how similar the posting style is.  

Hmmm, I thought it was only me.  I've long suspected the pompous and patronising tone of 'both' posters as well as the very similar written composition, but the clincher is the very long odds against finding TWO folk capable of posting such tedious contrarian pish on a daily basis.  

8 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Hmmm, I thought it was only me.  I've long suspected the pompous and patronising tone of 'both' posters as well as the very similar written composition, but the clincher is the very long odds against finding TWO folk capable of posting such tedious contrarian pish on a daily basis.  

The only reason it appears contrarian is that this place is so heavily saturated by lefties and nats.  Anyone offering an opposing view, no matter how moderate, stands out.

10 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Maybe time you took a look at yourself.

We’re only contrarian on here because the vast majority share the same lefty,insular, separatist viewpoint.

There’s a big world out there. Take a look.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

We’re only contrarian on here because the vast majority share the same lefty,insular, separatist viewpoint.

A big world? Yet your beloved Tories took us out of one of the biggest social, economic and populated area on earth? Little Englander syndrome. 

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I'm absolutely fine thank you.  And yet again you cannot resist the juvenile digs such as the pejorative use of 'lefty' and 'insular' to close down discussion instead of debating the issues.  And what exactly is a 'separatist' ?  Separate from what exactly ?  If you mean prevailing British political opinion then I'll happily be found guilty as charged.

I note that neither yourself or your Air Freshener doppelganger deny being one and the same poster so we can proceed on that basis.

24 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm absolutely fine thank you.  And yet again you cannot resist the juvenile digs such as the pejorative use of 'lefty' and 'insular' to close down discussion instead of debating the issues.  And what exactly is a 'separatist' ?  Separate from what exactly ?  If you mean prevailing British political opinion then I'll happily be found guilty as charged.

I note that neither yourself or your Air Freshener doppelganger deny being one and the same poster so we can proceed on that basis.

You could always refer to ‘us’ as Dawsons Air Freshener, or Durie Park Boy?

Hopefully you manage to get over the use of terms such as ‘lefty’, ‘insular’ and ‘separatist’.

I can’t speak for my alter-ego in this regard, but personally, the constant abuse, snide remarks and ad hominem nonsense directed towards me are like water off a duck’s back.

🦆

What's quote interesting is that each candidate are falling over themselves to be as Conservative as possible and for some, that means essentially lying to fellow conservatives about their true beliefs. They all bang on about tax cuts, yet are part of a government thst has continued to increase them. Mordant previously had a view on Trans that is more aligned to the general population, but has rolled back into line with the rest so as to appeal to the base.

Each time we have this mid term changing of the guard, we end up with candidates having to become more extreme.

Given we haven't had a PM who has taken up his/her role via a GE and left via a GE in 50 years, do we need a change in the rules/convension on changing PM? 🤔 

11 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

What's quote interesting is that each candidate are falling over themselves to be as Conservative as possible and for some, that means essentially lying to fellow conservatives about their true beliefs. They all bang on about tax cuts, yet are part of a government thst has continued to increase them. Mordant previously had a view on Trans that is more aligned to the general population, but has rolled back into line with the rest so as to appeal to the base.

Each time we have this mid term changing of the guard, we end up with candidates having to become more extreme.

Given we haven't had a PM who has taken up his/her role via a GE and left via a GE in 50 years, do we need a change in the rules/convension on changing PM? 🤔 

Edward Heath I believe.