Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

11 minutes ago, DMCs said:

In terms of metric tons of oil extracted the figure I saw was that their American production is over 4x their entire European production. 

Around 11% of the total production of the Gulf of Mexico and 6% of Uk sector North sea and that doesn't include any fields that they are partnered in.Nowadays all the major players are partnered up in all the oil fields so they all take a share in the risks and they profits but one of them takes the lead in that particular area 

17 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Just ask the Greeks how the EU treats it's member states in terms of inflicting austerity upon them.

Imagine how much worse it would be if they had pursued a Brexit like the UK. They'd be doubly-fucked.

17 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The Growth Commission Under Andrew Wilson reckoned there would need to be austerity in the medium term after independence.

The report mentions austerity a total of 3 times:

3.162 Scotland should also learn the lessons of both international examples and recent UK policy history by tending carefully to the impact of any deficit reduction on growth performance. Scotland should explicitly reject the austerity model pursued by the UK in recent years. Scotland needs to focus on both the real economy, and putting finances on a sustainable footing, as dual fiscal goals.

• Scotland should also learn the lessons of both international examples and recent UK policy history by tending carefully to the impact of any deficit reduction on growth performance. Scotland should explicitly reject the austerity model pursued by the UK in recent years. Scotland needs to focus on both the real economy, and putting finances on a sustainable footing, as dual fiscal goal

B7.5 At the outset, given the analysis in the chapters above, what is clear from the international examples is that Scotland’s position is relatively better in the round than many of the countries that have faced fiscal challenges, especially on debt. Scotland’s fiscal starting point is relatively challenging, but improving Scotland’s fiscal position is a proposition that is fundable, and entirely achievable without continued austerity. It should also be noted that achieving the economic growth objectives set out in Part A would accelerate the process

Every time it recommends rejecting austerity. I could find no indication otherwise.

Sustainable Growth Commission

Going by this article, not sure implementing the growth commissions policy would be good for Scotland.  Appears that austerity would be guaranteed if we did. 

https://jonathonshafi.substack.com/p/as-the-world-changes-the-snp-stands?s=r&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

When the Growth Commission first appeared, it became clear that opposition to it was not a fringe matter. In the days that followed the publication of the report, the First Minister was forced to deny the idea that the proposals would involve austerity. Ian Blackford had to defend it in the face of criticisms, even to the extent that speculation mounted about shelving the plans.

The author of the Growth Commission, Andrew Wilson, would also resort to labelling his opponents as “Marxist revolutionaries,” as if the demand for monetary sovereignty was outlandish, undesirable or perhaps utopian.

As the SNP’s Spring conference of 2019 approached, it was clear the Growth Commission would be a source of controversy, and not just on the question of currency. The Annual Solidarity Payment was an issue of real consternation too. The report also argued that an independent Scotland should copy existing UK financial regulations and, furthermore, continue to copy any changes the UK might make to these for years after “independence.”

4. Scots would have less sovereignty than they do at present. Richard Murphy, Professor of Accounting at Sheffield University Management School, puts this point well:

“…for all practical purposes, the Scottish Government would have no effective control of any of the measures used to control its economy. In fact, it would be worse off than it is now. It would have, post independence without its own currency, about as much power over the economy of Scotland as a local council has over that in its district, which as any councillor will tell you is minimal. It’s fair to say that such a Scottish Government would be in office but virtually powerless.”

If you want to see how these kinds of issues go down in a debate, take half an hour to watch this interview with the author of the Growth Commission conducted by Andrew Neil. Trust me, it is worth your time:

Just imagine this on full display, but under much greater scrutiny, in a live referendum. The argument would fall apart not just because it provides a platter of easy pickings for Unionist opponents, but because large parts of the independence movement itself couldn’t disagree with them, far less argue for such a prospectus.

24 minutes ago, Kenneth840 said:

Going by this article, not sure implementing the growth commissions policy would be good for Scotland.  Appears that austerity would be guaranteed if we did. 

https://jonathonshafi.substack.com/p/as-the-world-changes-the-snp-stands?s=r&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Kenneth

For a nationalist you talk so much more sense than most of the mainstream SNP fanatics on here.

Just a pity that your support comes from a unionist.

22 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Kenneth

For a nationalist you talk so much more sense than most of the mainstream SNP fanatics on here.

You do realise Jonathon Shafi’s a Marxist and you’ve just enthusiastically greenied Kenny for posting his work, yeah? 

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Kenneth

To be fair, you’re not really a unionist - you oppose political union and favour separation. 

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Kenneth

Thank you for those kind words.  I think the problem with many of the Snp fanboys on here is they don't read into politics much, only the odd bit here and there.  They have busy lives to live and miss out on important stuff.  Some are even in denial, too far gone past the point of no return to admit they were wrong.  

I do wish the Scottish nationalists on this site would wake up, but I know it won't happen.  Too far gone. 

Anyway the Union is safe, I wish it wasn't but there we go.  Indyref2 is a non starter, it won't happen but if it does it will either be a glorified opinion poll or if the section 30 is agreed it will have devo max on it, and the people will fall for it again. The Snp have become comfortable with devolution. 

18 hours ago, Kenneth840 said:

Thank you for those kind words.  I think the problem with many of the Snp fanboys on here is they don't read into politics much, only the odd bit here and there.  They have busy lives to live and miss out on important stuff.  Some are even in denial, too far gone past the point of no return to admit they were wrong.  

I do wish the Scottish nationalists on this site would wake up, but I know it won't happen.  Too far gone. 

Anyway the Union is safe, I wish it wasn't but there we go.  Indyref2 is a non starter, it won't happen but if it does it will either be a glorified opinion poll or if the section 30 is agreed it will have devo max on it, and the people will fall for it again. The Snp have become comfortable with devolution. 

I agree about the SNP fanboys, Kenneth.

Most of my social circle are similar to you, i.e. they support Independence but we discuss our differences rationally and don't scoff and sneer at each other.  They don't go along with the trans ideology either, just like most normal people.

Sadly your standard P&B SNP Fanboy is an entirely different breed.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

4 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

trans ideology

Sadly your standard P&B SNP Fanboy is an entirely different breed.

“trans ideology” isn’t a thing, you thick c**t.

And yet here you are desperate to interact with them? What a pathetic individual you are.

IMG_8617.jpg
Surprised at these latest odds tbh. Never occurred to me that Gus ‘lost my Westminster seat to Douglas Ross’ Robertson would be in the running here, never mind the favourite.
With Oor Nicola not committing to leading The SNP into the next Holyrood election, who would the Nats like to see succeed her?

Edited by Lex

1 hour ago, Lex said:

IMG_8617.jpg
Surprised at these latest odds tbh. Never occurred to me that Gus ‘lost my Westminster seat to Douglas Ross’ Robertson would be in the running here, never mind the favourite.
With Oor Nicola not committing to leading The SNP into the next Holyrood election, who would the Nats like to see succeed her?

What a hopeless shower!