Scotland's Oil

Hey! Ho! Jambo!

I would very much like Aberdeen to be an Independent state if Scotland votes for Independence, then that way we could keep our resources to ourselves and distance ourselves from the majority of hangers on that bleed this city and have not given much in return. (Harsh I know)

We would have to install a new team of people that have the best interests of the city at heart. No political party, only people that have stayed here a while and would like to see the city prosper.

The current occupants don't seem to have a clue and I don't hold much hope for the future party. Most politicians are full of bs with the exception of one man that I know cares. By the way his name is not Alex Salmond, although he is from the same party.

People of Aberdeen, in the event of a Yes vote, would it be possible for us to seek Independence from the rest of Scotland? Can a law be passed in this case?

We could have our own armed forces and local council that listens to the people and we could enforce our own borders. Never mind the law, as an independent state we can make up our own laws to suit us.

This should make us the city that we ought to be.

Interesting, but would never work. Any invading army would just release a flock of sheep, scattering the Filtlike Army and allowing the invaders to waltz in unopposed.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't privatised though - the private part was due to the merger of Statoil with Norsk Hydro.

67% of Statoil is clearly better than 0% of BP.

Wonder who's fault that was?

I would very much like Aberdeen to be an Independent state if Scotland votes for Independence, then that way we could keep our resources to ourselves and distance ourselves from the majority of hangers on that bleed this city and have not given much in return. (Harsh I know)

We would have to install a new team of people that have the best interests of the city at heart. No political party, only people that have stayed here a while and would like to see the city prosper.

The current occupants don't seem to have a clue and I don't hold much hope for the future party. Most politicians are full of bs with the exception of one man that I know cares. By the way his name is not Alex Salmond, although he is from the same party.

People of Aberdeen, in the event of a Yes vote, would it be possible for us to seek Independence from the rest of Scotland? Can a law be passed in this case?

We could have our own armed forces and local council that listens to the people and we could enforce our own borders. Never mind the law, as an independent state we can make up our own laws to suit us.

What about Torry, Bridge of Don & Rubislaw, should they not be independent as well then? Maybe you could add Pittodrie, Codona's & your back garden to the list?

Good luck to an independent Aberdeen with no oil industry :) l

It wasn't privatised though - the private part was due to the merger of Statoil with Norsk Hydro.

67% of Statoil is clearly better than 0% of BP.

Thats not accurate - The government sold shares in 2001, 2004 and 2005 in partial privitisations. This left them holding approx 70% of the shares which was further reduced with the merger.

Lets go the whole hog and have states within a state, within a state. What a state this state would be in.

Can my house be an independent state? I could be His Serene Holiness the Divine Emperor Enigma the First.

Anyone who believes in self-determination would be powerless to resist.

Will Orkney and Shetland each be given a referendum if Scotland votes for independence to ascertain whether they wish to remain in the UK, join Norway or become independent states?

Will Orkney and Shetland each be given a referendum if Scotland votes for independence to ascertain whether they wish to remain in the UK, join Norway or become independent states?

They certainly should be. After all, it's for the people of Shetland to decide their own contitutional future, not the people of Edinburgh.

Fed up of the SNP trying to turn a spectrum into a boolean. No wonder they include homophobic religious loonies like John Mason.

Reading these posts makes me feel for the impoverished anti Scottish sad people.

Scotland is too small, Scotland needs the Eton Bulingdon club tossers to rule over us because we are incapable.

I think if I adored a neighbouring Country and hated everything in this country.

Must be horrible.

No.

HTH.

Reading these posts makes me feel for the impoverished anti Scottish sad people.

Scotland is too small, Scotland needs the Eton Bulingdon club tossers to rule over us because we are incapable.

I think if I adored a neighbouring Country and hated everything in this country.

Must be horrible.

What the holy grapefruit are you talking about?

No.

HTH.

The correct answer is "Yes if there were a demand for a referendum in Shetland/Orkney. But as there is no sign of that demand then not for the foreseeable future."

Saying "No" makes you the anti-democrat - no different from Westminster governments who denied Scotland a referendum for so long.

I took from his/her response a resistance to self-determination.

I understand this. I saw you quote his reply and then subsequently reply yourself. So we are all the same page here. Good.

Now.. why is he not a democrat. Have the people of Orkney/Shetland/Aberdeen/ torry asked for a referendum?

i

I understand this. I saw you quote his reply and then subsequently reply yourself. So we are all the same page here. Good.

Now.. why is he not a democrat. Have the people of Orkney/Shetland/Aberdeen/ torry asked for a referendum?

He said No full stop to a referendum.

No qualification of any kind - as you have done.

Archived