If Scotland Votes Naw.

Burma

If Scotland votes Naw?

"EU immigration could be capped at 75,000 a year"

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/eu-immigration-could-be-capped-at-75-000-a-year-1-3234372

Yep, if Scotland votes naw, we can say goodbye to any more immigration. Obviously this is something that the Unionists support, given their obsession with the politics of race, but still. Is that what we want? A country where nobody is welcome?

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Scotland votes Naw?

"EU immigration could be capped at 75,000 a year"

http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/eu-immigration-could-be-capped-at-75-000-a-year-1-3234372

Yep, if Scotland votes naw, we can say goodbye to any more immigration. Obviously this is something that the Unionists support, given their obsession with the politics of race, but still. Is that what we want? A country where nobody is welcome?

First of all I'd like to invite the "law brigade" to tell me exactly how it's possible to cap EU immigration at 75k per year? I thought the idea behind the EU was to create one single market, so I can go anywhere I want to make a living for myself kinda thing?

Secondly, 75k =/= nothing, so you're talking in hyperbole to an extent here, although I personally disagree with any kind of immigration cap on EU nationals, partly because of the precedent that would set, as I personally would like to move to the continent at some point.

Thirdly, I do agree with tighter immigration controls in the bigger picture. It can certainly be argued that immigrants as a whole are net contributors to the UK economy, actually that's a plain fact, but why can't the UK government cherry pick which potential immigrants we actually need? My current issue is unemployment is high, and if we had less immigration then it would open up jobs to those who are currently living off our taxes. Australia and Canada seem to have pretty good vetting systems in terms of analysing every immigration applicant and determining which ones will contribute to our society, so why can't the UK(and post independence Scotland) do the same for non-EU migrants?

If you imagine 75k a year, then realistically, how many of them would go to Scotland? I suspect a fairly low percentage.

I agree with most of your post though, I can't see how it can possibly be legal, and yes, the idea was indeed that we should be able to go anywhere. I also agree with your selfish (not using it as a criticism as I agree) logic that you can move freely, so why shouldn't others? If we start capping everyone, then why wouldn't people do the same to us?

I personally believe in open borders, but at the same time, I have no issue with properly counting and keeping track of the number of nationals here. Just so we know how many and where, and also how many are leaving.

Completely free borders would be a pipe dream, I'm not sure that would be practical unless every country in the world adopted it though.

I think that's the kinda thing that could be looked at in 50-100 years time when the planet is almost completely developed. One of my problems with the EU (I love the EU btw, but it's a discrepancy) is that you have basically one massive borderless area and a large set of national governments within that. Naturally this means that people will flow to the country who's government is the most favourable towards them and thus the local population could be marginalised. In a way I'd actually like to see the EU claim more centralised powers from the respective governments and then devolve them evenly so we have a federal Europe type idea.

• 2 years later...

Just reading some of the old referendum threads again and had a good giggle at this one. Eighteen or so months on some of the predictions are scarily accurate, and some are wildly wrong. This is my favourite though.

Anyone who seriously thinks that there is going to be a referendum on EU membership as a result of the next UK General Election is a fucking fruitcake. UKIP are a basket-case and will be lucky to win within the margin of error of zero seats in 2015, and the failure of the Boundary Review means Cameron simply isn't going to win a majority next time round, even if he gets a significant swing in his favour.

Just reading some of the old referendum threads again and had a good giggle at this one. Eighteen or so months on some of the predictions are scarily accurate, and some are wildly wrong. This is my favourite though.

Cue an 'Even though I was completely wrong, in a way I was right...' type post.

Fair play. Ed Miliband shattered my expectations of how shit he could be. Called that totally wrong.

Faf considering he thinks he's smarter than everybody.

Already have my Oz citizenship application lined up just in case it's a No.

Without independence I will certainly never come back to live in Scotland.

How's your application progressing?

Really don't know what I said in here but I really struggle to give a flying f**k about Scotland after the Naw. Sure I would've said something similar pre vote.

Grew up loving everything Scottish too, was never in doubt that we would vote yes if the opportunity arose.

Really don't know what I said in here but I really struggle to give a flying f**k about Scotland after the Naw. Sure I would've said something similar pre vote.

Grew up loving everything Scottish too, was never in doubt that we would vote yes if the opportunity arose.

It's safe to say that Enough people shat it for the no to prevail.

Sums up Scotland really. Big hard c**t with no substince

Englands poodle

I haven't bought a see you Jimmy hat since the referendum either :(

Fair play. Ed Miliband shattered my expectations of how shit he could be. Called that totally wrong.

Don't think anyone expected his party to do so poorly. Even if they had done a bit crap, most expected that the Tories might be around 300 odd seats. A majority seemed very unlikely. Still, I feel like it was a mistake for Labour not to commit to a referendum under Miliband when there was obviously a lot of support for one. Might have helped keep some voters they lost to UKIP on board if they'd offered one.

Would like to greenie you for 'fessing up, but your original post was soooooooooooo far away from reality that it deserved more reddies than I can give in a week.

Keep on trying though.

It's safe to say that Enough people shat it for the no to prevail.

Sums up Scotland really. Big hard c**t with no substince

Englands poodle

Shat it doesn't really tell the story. I would wager that loads of folk just weren't interested. The middle classes aren't going to risk their wealth in any way and that was reflected in the wipeout of the Yes campaign in Edinburgh and the Borders etc.

Shat it doesn't really tell the story. I would wager that loads of folk just weren't interested. The middle classes aren't going to risk their wealth in any way and that was reflected in the wipeout of the Yes campaign in Edinburgh and the Borders etc.

In general people voted with their pockets, its why yes did well in Glasgow and Dundee - where the 'vote yes to save the NHS' message, for example, seemed to resonate more than Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

Never mind that it's turned out to be crock of shit.

Archived