If Scotland Votes Naw.

Burma

Can anyone from either side explain what a post no vote Scotland will look like in any detail? Will it be the same as now, better, worse and in what way?

The argument seems to be that Independence is a risk. We dont have enough detail. Etc etc.

So I pose the same question in reverse. Is staying in the Union a risk? Would a strengthened Westminster seek to repatriate powers or devolve more?

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone from either side explain what a post no vote Scotland will look like in any detail? Will it be the same as now, better, worse and in what way?

The argument seems to be that Independence is a risk. We dont have enough detail. Etc etc.

So I pose the same question in reverse. Is staying in the Union a risk? Would a strengthened Westminster seek to repatriate powers or devolve more?

At best it will be the same.

I'm up for a roll of the dice.

It'll be a depressing place as there'll be very little change to Scotland, Westminster will know we're their bitch and there'll be a lot of angry Yes voters disillusioned with the country.

I'd like to think that for the time being, the awareness towards politics is as good as it's been since the devolved parliament started, but a growth in social media should hopefully sustain it a little bit better this time around. I hate how neglectful to politics we can still be, and would to see a more aware political landscape that doesn't feed of what it's been told through lazy, self-serving agenda based information, but goes out of it's way to decipher it for themselves.

I expect it to be be pretty much the same as it is now but with a well that was a bit of a waste of time feeling floating about (from both sides). Hopefully Scottish Power have the foresight to wire up xbl, swampy and the rest of the gung ho nationalists on the original thread to the national grid as the energy generated from the collective seethe will be enough to power three small towns for a decade.

Anyone who thinks it will be exactly the same is delusional IMO. At the moment the UK Government is willing to give certain concessions to Scotland because they want us to remain part of the union. If there's a substantial no vote then they will no longer have to do so and you will see less consideration given to the political impact of decisions they make in Scotland.

Anyone who thinks it will be exactly the same is delusional IMO. At the moment the UK Government is willing to give certain concessions to Scotland because they want us to remain part of the union. If there's a substantial no vote then they will no longer have to do so and you will see less consideration given to the political impact of decisions they make in Scotland.

Scaremongering Better Together would be proud of. Well done

There's a good chance we wont be in EU.

It will not be the same.

There's all sorts of talk about reforming the Barnett formula (most recently when the Welsh First Minister came north to tell us to be happy with what we have) and even some talk from the Tories about reducing the powers of the Scottish Parliament. There's also the bits of the Calman Commission that were laid aside, like having a Scottish top up on income tax to fully fund our government activities, but still having no control over what Westminster spends for us on defence and foreign policy.

Change lies ahead, regardless of what happens.

Scaremongering Better Together would be proud of. Well done

I don't think that's scaremongering. Consider the recent closure of the shipyard in Portsmouth. It was all but admitted that the Scottish referendum was a consideration in the decision to close that one ahead of the Glasgow ones. If the same thing happened in another industry in 2015, that would no longer be the case.

It will not be the same.

There's all sorts of talk about reforming the Barnett formula (most recently when the Welsh First Minister came north to tell us to be happy with what we have) and even some talk from the Tories about reducing the powers of the Scottish Parliament. There's also the bits of the Calman Commission that were laid aside, like having a Scottish top up on income tax to fully fund our government activities, but still having no control over what Westminster spends for us on defence and foreign policy.

Change lies ahead, regardless of what happens.

Do you accept that there lies the possibility for the better or is it all doom and gloom?

If it's a reasonably close naw vote then there will probably be another (successful) referendum in our lifetime. Just look at the first "failed" devolution referendum in 1979 and what happened between it and the successful 1997 referendum: Margaret Thatcher etc.

This time, for example, just think of the mayhem a few years down the line if there's an in/out EU referendum with Scotland voting to stay and England voting to leave. There would be upheaval.

We will enter a new stage either way.

I don't think that's scaremongering. Consider the recent closure of the shipyard in Portsmouth. It was all but admitted that the Scottish referendum was a consideration in the decision to close that one ahead of the Glasgow ones. If the same thing happened in another industry in 2015, that would no longer be the case.

And yet none of this might happen. You're not citing any evidence for any of your assertions other than a gut feel of that is how it might go. If Better Together pointing out the worst case scenario of independence is scaremongering (which I agree to some extent it is) the pointing out the worst case scenario of us saying naw falls into the same category. Fairs fair

And yet none of this might happen. You're not citing any evidence for any of your assertions other than a gut feel of that is how it might go. If Better Together pointing out the worst case scenario of independence is scaremongering (which I agree to some extent it is) the pointing out the worst case scenario of us saying naw falls into the same category. Fairs fair

So you want me to cite evidence for something in the future which hasn't happened? That is literally impossible.

All I said was that things wouldn't be the same. I didn't say they'd be better or worse, although my own opinion is the latter, and I cited a reason why I thought that was the case.

So you want me to cite evidence for something in the future which hasn't happened? That is literally impossible.

All I said was that things wouldn't be the same. I didn't say they'd be better or worse, although my own opinion is the latter, and I cited a reason why I thought that was the case.

I agree. Nobody knows what will happen. It could be better, it could be worse. In the exact same way if we go independent things could be better or could be worse. It's all speculation and judgement. I just find it interesting that those advocating a yes are so quick to assume things will change for the worse if we vote no. To me that's scaremongering in the exact same way as some of the Better Together pish.

I agree. Nobody knows what will happen. It could be better, it could be worse. In the exact same way if we go independent things could be better or could be worse. It's all speculation and judgement. I just find it interesting that those advocating a yes are so quick to assume things will change for the worse if we vote no. To me that's scaremongering in the exact same way as some of the Better Together pish.

Things have been turning for the worse for a while now.

You need to ask, if we vote No, will it continue or will things improve?

Archived