Scottish Independence - How will you vote? MkII

Ludo*1

490 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

...and that will be the same EU that we're currently in?

Aye. According to him being part of the UK and the EU is more independent than only being part of the EU. We are more independent than France. Stunningly daft logic. Edited by AUFC90

Germany is more autonomous than Ireland. The ECB will never turn round to Germany and supervise its budget and basically tell them what tax rates they're allowed to set pursuant to the conditions of a credit agreement.

The nuance of this observation explains why "but we're already in the EU" is a fatuous thing to say as a retort to Scotland's sovereignty being curtailed by vesting certain powers in the EU. The comparative extent to which vesting means in practice surrendering is completely different depending on your size and socioeconomic influence.

Germany is more autonomous than Ireland. The ECB will never turn round to Germany and supervise its budget and basically tell them what tax rates they're allowed to set pursuant to the conditions of a credit agreement.

The nuance of this observation explains why "but we're already in the EU" is a fatuous thing to say as a retort to Scotland's sovereignty being curtailed by vesting certain powers in the EU. The comparative extent to which vesting means in practice surrendering is completely different depending on your size and socioeconomic influence.

Ah, that'll be the same Ireland which is more autonomous than that region of North Britain also known as Scotland. . .so your point is???

Ah, that'll be the same Ireland which is more autonomous than that region of North Britain also known as Scotland. . .so your point is???

The point is Scotland's degree of independence "because of EU membership" will be lower than the degree of independence enjoyed by the UK vis-a-vis the EU.

The point is Scotland's degree of independence "because of EU membership" will be lower than the degree of independence enjoyed by the UK vis-a-vis the EU.

There's that word again, "enjoyed". If the UK is finding it that enjoyable then why is there such a clamber for an in out referendum???

eta

anyway, what the UK "enjoys" is neither here nor there because either way Indy Scotland would still have more independence than it has now.

Edited by vip3r

• 2 weeks later...

I'm leaning towards 'Yes' because I do like the idea of an independent Scotland. However I have no idea if it'll work out, as do we all. Can someone write up a short summary of why I should be voting yes?

I'm leaning towards 'Yes' because I do like the idea of an independent Scotland. However I have no idea if it'll work out, as do we all. Can someone write up a short summary of why I should be voting yes?

From the Financial Times last week - "Although Scotland enjoys public spending well above the UK average - a source of resentment among some in England, Wales and NI - the cost to the Treasury is more than outweighed by oil and gas revenues from Scottish waters".

Less than 5% of the population of Norway, Denmark and Finland live in poverty. In the UK, 12.8% of population is in poverty, 25% of children and in Springburn, Glasgow, 51% of children are living in poverty. This for a country that has oil and gas in abundance, with potentially more to be discovered off the West Coast, which cannot be explored while we have Trident. Norway is also second in the world for global wealth and global happiness. The Human Development Index, the closest thing to a league table of the world's best countries, ranks nations on factors such as generous welfare payments, education, high income and a long life expectancy. In 2013, for the 10th time in the last 12 years, oil rich Norway topped the list.

We will kiss goodbye to the bedroom tax, which Westminster this week failed to end and the abomination that is ATOS.

We will not be obliged to send our young men and woman to every skirmish that takes Westminster's fancy.

We will never again be told what we can and can't do by horrible little c***s like George Osbourne. I could have saved myself some time, couldn't I?

• 3 weeks later...

I'll not vote whatsoever. I would consider myself more to the British side, but to be frank. I can't stand any politicians. I believe the people who vote are nothing but puppets on a string. They're all corrupt and out there for their own gain.

...this isnt about politicians, its about you, your childrens and their childrens future. This isnt a vote for a political party, its a vote to redefine the future of Scotland.

Lol my arse. You're a puppet and they're the string pullers. None of them give a shit about us. We are just a number to them.

Ok, so what are you going to do about it. Are you just going to lie down and let these string pullers walk over the top of you? Do you think that by not voting you will achieve something?

The Independence things a non starter, Scotland will never be independent. The best thing people can do is to accept it and stary voting for UKIP.

I'd love you to elaborate on this? Why on earth should the people of Scotland vote UKIP?

If we voted for UKIP we would keep the skilled foreigners, as in the Doctors, nurses ect. All non skilled foreigners would be deported and British people would take up their jobs,

Why do you think this is a problem? You do realise that Scotland has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe?

ETA: also to make that fair then all the Scots working abroad would have to come back...then where does that leave you?

Edited by vip3r

Are you trying to say there isn't Scottish people out their desperate for a job? But can't get one? Take away the foreigners and everyone will have a job. Myself, I only employ British people.

did you look at my edit in the above post?

Are you trying to say there isn't Scottish people out their desperate for a job? But can't get one? Take away the foreigners and everyone will have a job. Myself, I only employ British people.

But you chose a foreign user name? Interesting