Scottish Independence - How will you vote? MkII

Ludo*1

490 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's a huge debate that i'm not really willing to get into but very generally speaking, i have doubts over an independent Scotlands currency, have doubts over EU membership and how that would influence Scotland as an independent nation, i also have doubts over what would happen with the military and nuclear facilities. As i've said the onus is on the "yes" campaign to change my mind which i'm willing to do if convinced by Salmond that all these basis's are covered. As it stands now i don't think they are covered sufficiently and question a lot of the "yes" voters motives for the vote.

Re EU, if you think we'll get kicked out and that's bad what will happen if we vote NO. UK is going to have a referendum on it - how do you think that will go?

Currency - think about it from an English perspective. Your second largest trading partner wants to continue using the currency they and you do. Do you A) keep things simple and do that, or B) screw over your own businesses by making trading far far more difficult, time consuming and costly for them (knowing that businesses will bitch like f**k that you're deliberatley making life difficult for them). Obviously, Cameron, Osborne, Darling and the other Tories aren't going to say that just now but logic dictates they will do the sensible thing at the time.

You've also probaly read the latest in the financial press showing traders think the sterling zone idea is a good one http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-02/pound-bid-of-scots-nationalists-supported-by-traders-currencies.html so I would hope that would ease some of your fears there.

Nuclear facilities - seriously?? I'd like them not to be kept a metaphorical stones throw from our largest city for one thing.

Who is going to attack us? Hopefully nobody, but the only threat is a terrorist one. They will not be using nuclear misssles. We should get rid of them and use the money to increase spending on our intelligence services (as suggested in the White Paper).

Let me help you:

i have doubts over an independent Scotlands currency

The pound.

have doubts over EU membership

We will be in it, no doubt there.

how that would influence Scotland as an independent nation

We are already in the EU.

i also have doubts over what would happen with the military and nuclear facilities

The subs can get to f**k. We will have a small army. This has been covered in all kinds of paper.

question a lot of the "yes" voters motives for the vote.

We can provide concrete justification for our motives. Whether it is historic examples of London deliberately selling Scotland short, the neo-liberal state that seems to be creeping in, the racism and bigotry of the British government, energy prices, population issues, there are a million and one reasons to vote yes.

There are very few reasons to vote no. You get a choice of fear (which seems to be your chosen option), racism, stupidity, or Alex Salmond (which is moronic).

Katie hopkins was talking shit about the whole independence thing on this morning or something, now has a online petition online to get her off TV

I signed it. Apparently This Morning have already pulled her. Power to the people :)

I'm voting No but I'm willing to be convinced to vote Yes but I won't really listen or look into what Yes are telling me so I'm going to vote No.

Sound logic.

I'll be quite happy if lots of no voters come on and explain their position, I'm not looking to barrack them as I might actually get educated on areas I've not looked into or looked at in the wrong way, if I can't change their mind it'll be my look out, I'll have to strengthen my arguments or the way I present them.

I signed it. Apparently This Morning have already pulled her. Power to the people :)

It doesn't really speak much to their editorial control that they would employ a racist bigot in the first place.

Firmly voting no in the referendum. I really don't see it going through and rightly so.

Also worth noting a hell of a lot of people in this thread that are voting 'yes' seem to be in a struggling battle trying to "educate" their parents to vote yes, it says a lot.

Do you think England could make it on its own?

That wouldn't be another fanny pretending to be English, only to make an account and comment complete and utter nonsense on Scottish independence threads, would it? :o

It couldn't possibly be As We Rise Again/British Bigot either, surely? :o

Ok, correct me where I'm wrong here (and I'm just going off the best numbers I can find), but the UK whole deficit is currently around £1.3 trillion, with a deficit this year to fall to £100 billion at the end of this year if Bloomberg has got the ballpark right.

Now if this is right and they expect to cut the deficit to towards making a surplus in 2019 (I doubt they'll be able to sell assets as big as Royal Mail every year), and this is provided that they are not anything like being the four years behind schedule right now, the debt is still rising. If I was to have a stab at what the debt could be arguably double what it is right now. But aye, they'll be on a surplus though.

And up here, independence is supposed to be an uncertain financial black hole?...

Edited by the jambo-rocker

Just had a look at some of the unionist facebook pages, it seems all they post is pictures of Union Jack clothing, Alex Salmond and Army stuff.

Don't forget the 'Darling crushes nationalist case for independence' type headlines. It's only a small and pretty meaningless observation, but I've noticed that since the White Paper launch that the Yes page now has well over 10,000+ more likes than Better Together, and generally has far more likes on every status/article it puts forward. Possibly due to the absolute crock of shit that goes on the BT page right enough.