Scottish Independence - How will you vote? MkII

Ludo*1

490 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oddly, in the "Which of the following describes your national identity" section, the largest group (by quite some margin) identify as "equally Scottish & British".

That doesn't seem typical, does it?

The 2011 census showed that almost two thirds of Scots felt Scottish only and only about a quarter felt they had any British identity.

Note the trend in Labour voters on that graph. Alongside the idea that the less afluent areas are liable to vote yes, are we seeing a small amount of momentum in the Labour heartlands towards yes?

Didnt you previously dispute that Yes was (relatively) more popular in less affluent areas and No was the clear winner in wealthier areas?

I take it you are now accepting this is the case?

Edited by H_B

Didnt you previously dispute that Yes was (relatively) more popular in less affluent areas and No was the clear winner in wealthier areas?I take it you are now accepting this is the case?

I think I acceptedvthat correction at the time. If not then yeah the evidence points that way.

I think I acceptedvthat correction at the time. If not then yeah the evidence points that way.

I never really got why you doubted it before.

It was pretty obvious.

Im not sure this latest poll tells us very much. The gap between Yes and No looks a bit high to be honest.

Perhaps it shows that the whole White Paper launch was the damp squib it looked.

It was pretty obvious.

Im not sure this latest poll tells us very much. The gap between Yes and No looks a bit high to be honest.

Perhaps it shows that the whole White Paper launch was the damp squib it looked.

Nonsense.

No chance. 70% or slightly over would be an excellent turnout.

I agree it would be. My guess has always been around 80%, but if you are hearing differently on the doorsteps and high streets it would lead you to believe otherwise.

You cannot argue that this isn't an exceptional vote, which may lead to an exceptional turnout

As usual the weather on the day will have a big impact on people actually voting..

It was pretty obvious.

I honestly remembered seeing something to the contrary, despite it being counterintuitive.

As for the poll, well, not much, the top line is skewed by the weighting which would assume a Lamont led government in 2016 in defiance of all other available polling data, as well as a relatively large vote for the Tories. Below that headline is the number of Labour voters defecting to Yes semes ot have an upward trend, which if continued as it has over the last year could see ~25% of them vote yes on the day. It's that upwards Labour yes support and a kick up in SNP support from the alst one that seems to drive the 3% to yes swing. Ironically, Panelbase, every Yes supporters favoured polling company, would likely show the same results as quite static, as their Holyrood weighting would mean the SNP wer epresnet in alrger numbers such that any swing to yes from labour would form a lower percentage of the overall sample.

Other than that, the gender gap is still alive and kicking, f**k knows how you deal with that. As for the white paper, it looks like amongst the undecided voters it's had a slight positive effect, but then I doubt it's intention was to provide an immediate masive swing in the polls anyway.

Jesus. 100 years of volatility. It's just too much to risk. Stop the drilling now. We should just leave our country's fate in the hands of something less volatile, like the FTSE

I agree, far far too risky. We should leave it to the tories and new labour to sort out. They'll keep us right.

That weighting in the tables does look weird, and seems to have more Labour than SNP voters, while aloting the Tories a larger share of the vote than might otherwise make sense.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Scotland/ipsos-mori-scotland-monitor-tables-december-2013.pdf

I'm not really making a comment about the veracity or 'fairness' of the polling, I'm just sad enough to find the methodology interesting.

....as am I

According to the poll:

307 respondents are voting Labour

294 SNP

136 Conservative

77 Lib dem

66 other

----

34% Labour

33% SNP

15% Tories

9% Diddies

7% others

Given that these figures are way out from what is collected in the real world I don't believe the poll.