Scottish Independence - How will you vote? MkII

Ludo*1

490 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My Malaysian friend has just formally converted to Yes (he gets a vote as he is resident here), based on the way the immigration office talk to him. Apparently he wanted a visa application to go on holiday, and they told him "There are no problems with your application, so we will process it within a few months. At least you're not risky for this country." Apparently he's sick of being treated like a terrorist for some reason...

My Malaysian friend has just formally converted to Yes (he gets a vote as he is resident here), based on the way the immigration office talk to him. Apparently he wanted a visa application to go on holiday, and they told him "There are no problems with your application, so we will process it within a few months. At least you're not risky for this country." Apparently he's sick of being treated like a terrorist for some reason...

My wife and I returned to the US from a holiday in the UK on Friday, and we met her sister and her sister's boyfriend for dinner. We were talking about the UK in general, and my wife raised the point that the number of armed guards and shop-an-immigrant sentiment and the sheer hostility at the airport was really shocking to her. This isn't something we'd ever discussed, i.e. this was with no prompting from me whatsoever.

To put this in perspective, she's from Texas.

Just let that sink in.

To put this in perspective, she's from Texas.

Just let that sink in.

Aye, its getting more and more obvious. My friends have to visit those "GO HOME FUCKING FOREIGN SCUM" immigration offices on occasion, and they find them deeply unpleasant places to be. I also mentioned before I think that my Italian friend got grilled at the airport, with some surprise that he was Italian. He was cursed with a dark tan after a summer holiday.

I've been trying to increase the Yes vote by inciting hatred of the British government and their racist policies.

I've friends from California, he's just finished a masters at Edinburgh uni, she is a lawyer. Both desperate to stay, they are exactly the type of people we want to come to the country. Young, successful, affluent, they are the poster couple for California if that makes sense.

Visa runs out in Jan, if he doesn't get a job, they will be booted out of the country.

This myth about being ejected from the EU is just laughable. Why didn't Cameron get it on the ballot form in the negociations?

What's that, because it's a load of codswallop I hear you say?

I agree. Lets let Bulgaria in but not Scotland :lol:

I'm quite into personal freedom but the UK government, and indeed any future independent Scottish government, have a duty to do their very best to keep their citizens safe.

Surely they were just doing their due dilligence on this guy? They've found nothing, so he's free to go :)

The several months in waiting did puzzle me though.

I agree. Lets let Bulgaria in but not Scotland :lol:

Nicola Sturgeon has won me over on this point. She says that EU membership would be negotiated from within during the 18 month period of transition.

Now, the EU could still opt to put some very strict conditions on our membership during these negotiations, for example we could be forced to join Schengen(Which I'm not opposed to), however I'm not sure if EU member countries could actually veto us.

I'm quite into personal freedom but the UK government, and indeed any future independent Scottish government, have a duty to do their very best to keep their citizens safe.

Surely they were just doing their due dilligence on this guy? They've found nothing, so he's free to go :)

The several months in waiting did puzzle me though.

He's been here for well over a year. He's already had to provide absurd amounts of documentation on a regular basis and is treated with suspicion for the crime of coming from that well known terrorist hotbed of Malaysia.

After all this, he quite naturally resents being told "at least you're not risky", like he's some kind of terrorist. He's here to work and study, and yet every time he has to go to the immigration centre, he feels like a criminal. There is a limit! So he's voting Yes, as he is eligible (commonwealth!), and so is his wife. :D

Nicola Sturgeon has won me over on this point. She says that EU membership would be negotiated from within during the 18 month period of transition.

Now, the EU could still opt to put some very strict conditions on our membership during these negotiations, for example we could be forced to join Schengen(Which I'm not opposed to), however I'm not sure if EU member countries could actually veto us.

You said on the other thread that the Spanish were going to veto us. If you weren't sure of that why did you say it?

There's a poll on moneysavingexpert just now:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/poll/02-12-2013/should-scotland-be-an-independant-country

Current Results

I live in England (1381 votes)
Yes to Scottish Independence 497 votes (36%)
No to Scottish Independence 822 votes (60%)
I’d abstain 62 votes (4%)

I live in Northern Ireland (38 votes)
Yes to Scottish Independence 19 votes (50%)
No to Scottish Independence 16 votes (42%)
I’d abstain 3 votes (8%)

I live in Scotland (1131 votes)
Yes to Scottish Independence 620 votes (55%)
No to Scottish Independence 507 votes (45%)
I’d abstain 4 votes (0%)

I live in Wales (110 votes)
Yes to Scottish Independence 41 votes (37%)
No to Scottish Independence 61 votes (55%)
I’d abstain 8 votes (7%)

2,658 votes received.

I've met some N Irish people that have been openly angry towards us for wanting independence.  f**k them I say.

Good thing their bunfieldery is completely irrelevant.