Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would happen to Scottish MP's elected to Westminster at the next general election ?

I'd imagine they will be elected as normal in 2015, then when the "Scottish Independence Act" comes into force, it would either 1) trigger a UK General Election without Scottish seats (likely to be a prudent measure if Labour look likely to be shunted from either a) majority to minority government or b) the largest party to the smallest party in the Commons) or 2) simply remove Scottish seats and continue with that Parliamentary session as normal.

What would happen to Scottish MP's elected to Westminster at the next general election ?

Out a job.

I do thinks that's why most of them are terrified about independence, the cushy number on the Westminster gravy train will no long be available to them

Out a job.

I do thinks that's why most of them are terrified about independence, the cushy number on the Westminster gravy train will no long be available to them

You know that most of them would flip their names straight into the hat for the first Scottish general election?

And independent Scotland is going to need more than 129 MPs, so there would be room for plenty of them.

However, I'd argue that most of them are ideologically opposed to independence, the same reason you don't see LAB/LIB/CON MSPs coming out in favour of independence.

Get a pocket guide, PM me and I will see what I can do.

You will be about 57887 on the snagging list though, this is plain crazy, everybody and their granny wants one. If there's one thing I will criticise yes over is that they have completely underestimated Scotland's response to this.

Why is the pocket guide not online, would be my first question. I'd rather someone who's actually going to vote get a copy ahead of me.

Is it possible that the SNP are using it as a reason to sway people to vote yes? Much like Labour will do RE: the bedroom tax come the next election.

I don't particularly agree with that if it is the case but just saying it could be a possibility.

Pledging legislation that people actually want? Shocking, if true.

Why is the pocket guide not online, would be my first question. I'd rather someone who's actually going to vote get a copy ahead of me.

I'm sure everyone in scotland is entitled to a copy and you can order it via the Scottish Government site - perhaps a friend or family member over here could get one for you, if they're happy to go without?

Of course they are, they all do.

They couldn't do it just now without impacting on other services, or at least I've not read or heard anything from the No campaign that actually shows they could, heard lots of folk bumping their gums but I haven't actually witnessed anyone saying the UK already provide 30 hours of childcare for 3,4 year olds and 40% of 2 year olds, I've also not witnessed anyone stating that over the next decade all UK pre schoolers from 1 year old will get 30 hours of childcare, at the moment I can't find anything that shows the UK funding more than ~40% of childcare for pre schoolers from 1 year old.

The consensus from what I've seen is that they definitely have the power to do it, which was put to them by the tear-stained letter that BetterTogether bigged up from a full-time mummy. But you are correct that it couldn't be done with the funds they have just now without impacting other areas.

I'm sure everyone in scotland is entitled to a copy and you can order it via the Scottish Government site - perhaps a friend or family member over here could get one for you, if they're happy to go without?

I'm in Scotland until tomorrow but there's no way it would get to me by then. I'll just wait for a copy to surface online. I prefer it that way because then I can use ctrl+F (a feature sorely lacking from paper copies IMO (in my opinion.))

Pledging legislation that people actually want? Shocking, if true.

My gripe is more with the fact that they have the power to do it now but are using it as a political lever in the independence debate. As I said they are all guilty of it so it's not really a reason to vote against but I can see why the unionists have jumped on it.

My gripe is more with the fact that they have the power to do it now but are using it as a political lever in the independence debate. As I said they are all guilty of it so it's not really a reason to vote against but I can see why the unionists have jumped on it.

Power but not the money.

The Scottish government has the power to abolish council tax and send everyone a crisp 50 pound note in the post but that money would have to come from somewhere else.

I'm in Scotland until tomorrow but there's no way it would get to me by then. I'll just wait for a copy to surface online. I prefer it that way because then I can use ctrl+F (a feature sorely lacking from paper copies IMO (in my opinion.))

It is online.

http://scotgov.publishingthefuture.info/publication/scotlands-future-summary

Anyone seen this?

The Wright Stuff discussion Scottish Independence. watch from the 12m mark, its truly cringeworthy stuff, with the usual "benefit scroungers" "they want to take our money, our queen etc.."

http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-wright-stuff/episodes/episode-233-28#comments

What is embarrassing the most, is Scottish Unionists MP/MSP never speak up for Scotland against this shite, they are happy for people to believe it, especially their chums in England

Archived