Scottish Independence

xbl

You cant really answer question 1 without addressing the concept mentioned in question 2.

You'll have to make yourself clearer here - I'm not sure what you mean.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW - I dont know why I am getting too involved in this particular argument, membership of the EU wouldn't be a deal breaker for me anyway, I would certainly rather be in than out but Norway & Switzerland seem to have done OK.

The most interesting aspect for me (apart from the legality of it) is that it's been the clearest indication that the SNP are willing to lie to Scots - their position on this has been ridiculous for years now.

Which is why their current position bears no relation to their previous position, and it's still lies.

We have posters here who it seems would be happier in the cocoon of believing what the SNP tell them. The reaction to actually getting the truth sees purple faced rage.

People can decide for themselves how important they feel having to apply for EU membership is - what's important is that they know the facts. And they aren't getting that from the SNP - only lies.

The most interesting aspect for me (apart from the legality of it) is that it's been the clearest indication that the SNP are willing to lie to Scots - their position on this has been ridiculous for years now.

Which is why their current position bears no relation to their previous position, and it's still lies.

We have posters here who it seems would be happier in the cocoon of believing what the SNP tell them. The reaction to actually getting the truth sees purple faced rage.

People can decide for themselves how important they feel having to apply for EU membership is - what's important is that they know the facts. And they aren't getting that from the SNP - only lies.

Chief the rage hasn't got anything to do with the SNP - its the usual emotion one feels when conversing with you.

Chief the rage hasn't got anything to do with the SNP - its the usual emotion one feels when conversing with you.

Well, I can't really be held responsible for being right.

I kind of understand the rage people have when they are corrected time and time again.

The concept that Citizen Membership may be a seperate thing to State Membership, that is what I think he is implying.

Professor Tierney?

I don't think he's implying it - he is saying exactly that. It comes from Article 20.

‘Citizenship of the Union shall be additional to and not replace national citizenship.’ Article 20(1) TFEU

"

Professor Tierney?

I don't think he's implying it - he is saying exactly that. It comes from Article 20.

‘Citizenship of the Union shall be additional to and not replace national citizenship.’ Article 20(1) TFEU

"

No, Yves Gounin in the article I mentioned http://www.vilaweb.cat/noticia/4165817/20140108/french-study-questions-whether-catalonia-could-be-expelled-from-the-european-union.html

Totally bizarre headline #projectfear

I don't understand why you think that's a headline No wants to see: it's a 'spectacular own goal' for them if established by the Sunday Herald, which is at best neutral in the campaign so far. Cameron has been tarred with the same brush as an autocratic anti-'separatist' homophobe in what is apparently a nationally-determined issue. As far as I can see the Sunday Herald have got a minor scoop but are hoisting BitterTogether in the air because of it. About time.

I think it is simply another, slightly subtler fearmongering story.

"wee Scotland might annoy big bad scary guys if it says yes"

The reality is the Americans wont give a shit about any aspect other than the defence angle; anything that weakens the UK will be welcomed by Putin, although I doubt he's too worried about the UK as it is, riddled as it is with Russian spies. The Russians have been doing over Birtish intelligence like Ronaldo facing Crossgates Primrose's defence for quite some time now.

Even the static and clogged brains at BitterTogether have worked out that folk are seeing through the original rather crude Project Fear and take no note.

But expect lots of "famous people disapprove" type stories in the next 9 months, up to and including a medium contacting Nelson Mandela as he settles into the afterlife, and divining that the destroyer of apartheid "reckons independence will be bad for the economy", "careful now, Scots can't be certain" and "I have to go now, Mrs Thatcher has invited me to lunch".

Archived