Scottish Independence

xbl

the example that was brought up was for the DVLA. Swansea already deal with pretty much everything, has all the details etc. There is no reason why an independent Scotland couldn't sub contract to them. No extra cost. Let's face it rUK are not going to turn down the extra revenue.

This makes sense to me until a more permanent solution is found

They do that with the healthcare system in British Columbia, Canada. A good proportion of the admin gets done down in Seattle or something. I forget where exactly, but it's definitely in America somewhere.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said earlier, the companies do via a "Fee for Intervention" scheme. It's a massively flawed scheme where if an inspector comes and visits and finds something wrong, he charges you £157/hr for the pleasure for the entire duration of his visit.

Which goes in the pot. We're still paying his wages.

Everyone should just point and laugh at Alistair Carmichael and Alistair Darling from now on. The uncertainty comments about currency unions and the EU are no longer acceptable. Uncertainty is caused because the two Al's want uncertainty. IF they are unable to act in the best interests of voters, by holding talks, they lose all credibility in my book. Utter, Utter slim balls, that should be brought to task.

Listening to Alistair Darling, you have to wonder how the rest of the world manage to trade with each other despite not sharing a currency.

He also managed to squeeze in we "we'll be foreign countries" after independence.

Listening to Alistair Darling, you have to wonder how the rest of the world manage to trade with each other despite not sharing a currency.

He also managed to squeeze in we "we'll be foreign countries" after independence.

The fuds will push more voters over to the YES vote, aye it's cozy being in the uk but it certainly isn't brilliant.

Why not implement the 30 hours of child care now with our devolved powers? Seems to be banded about by the Nos at the moment - Why on earth invest 600 million on that only for the revenue of the addition female workforce going to Westminster? Jebus!

Why not implement the 30 hours of child care now with our devolved powers? Seems to be banded about by the Nos at the moment - Why on earth invest 600 million on that only for the revenue of the addition female workforce going to Westminster? Jebus!

Uh, because it has the economic benefits of more women getting back into work in Scotland, generating jobs, and because they've been given the money to do it with the Barnett consequentials of the English provision that's broadly the same to pay for it?

Uh, because it has the economic benefits of more women getting back into work in Scotland, generating jobs, and because they've been given the money to do it with the Barnett consequentials of the English provision that's broadly the same to pay for it?

If the Scottish Parliament has £3 billion to spend on everything and decides to allocate an extra £600 million to childcare, does it them get a budget of £3.6 billion or does it still get £3 billion under Barnett?

If the Scottish Parliament has £3 billion to spend on everything and decides to allocate an extra £600 million to childcare, does it them get a budget of £3.6 billion or does it still get £3 billion under Barnett?

*sigh*

You don't know how Barnett works.

Before England committed to its (more extensive) childcare policy, English spending was lower. Barnett takes English domestic spending, and allocates an amount to Scotland based on population and slightly adjusted for needs related to geographical discrepancies. So part of the block grant that goes to Holyrood represents a pro-rata share of English nursery provision.

It is therefore entirely within the power and fiscal ability of Holyrood, if it *chooses* to allocate those funds towards implementing the same policy. If they haven't the money to do it, it's because they've *chosen* to spend it on something else. It is not Westminster's fault.

Never expected that, the most ridiculous post Iv'e seen on the internet. You are advocating the revenue of a 600 million pound investment invested in Scotland being deferred to Westminster so they may take a cut (circa 90%) erm no, I think we subsidize the UK enough. It is Interesting you mention the soon to be scrapped Barnett formula.

:smartass

*sigh*

Before England committed to its (more extensive) childcare policy, English spending was lower. Barnett takes English domestic spending, and allocates an amount to Scotland based on population and slightly adjusted for needs related to geographical discrepancies. So part of the block grant that goes to Holyrood represents a pro-rata share of English nursery provision.

It is therefore entirely within the power and fiscal ability of Holyrood, if it *chooses* to allocate those funds towards implementing the same policy. If they haven't the money to do it, it's because they've *chosen* to spend it on something else. It is not Westminster's fault.

I thought that's how it worked but I've not really been heavily interested in politics for a long time.

How many hours childcare per week do UK 4 year olds receive?

How many hours childcare per week do UK 3 year olds receive?

How many hours childcare per week do UK 2 year olds receive?

How many hours childcare per week do UK 1 year olds receive?

I would probably agree on Swampy's return, his contribution would enhance the discussions on the white paper so long as he manages to steer clear of his fondness for dipping into tedious mode.

I've not read it and probably won't even make a start on it for two weeks.

I've not read it and probably won't even make a start on it for two weeks.

I've not read much of it myself, I don't like reading long documents on the computer and I'm not printing all those pages.

Get a pocket guide, PM me and I will see what I can do.

You will be about 57887 on the snagging list though, this is plain crazy, everybody and their granny wants one. If there's one thing I will criticise yes over is that they have completely underestimated Scotland's response to this.

*sigh*

Is it possible that the SNP are using it as a reason to sway people to vote yes? Much like Labour will do RE: the bedroom tax come the next election.

I don't particularly agree with that if it is the case but just saying it could be a possibility.

Is it possible that the SNP are using it as a reason to sway people to vote yes? Much like Labour will do RE: the bedroom tax come the next election.

I don't particularly agree with that if it is the case but just saying it could be a possibility.

Of course they are, they all do.

They couldn't do it just now without impacting on other services, or at least I've not read or heard anything from the No campaign that actually shows they could, heard lots of folk bumping their gums but I haven't actually witnessed anyone saying the UK already provide 30 hours of childcare for 3,4 year olds and 40% of 2 year olds, I've also not witnessed anyone stating that over the next decade all UK pre schoolers from 1 year old will get 30 hours of childcare, at the moment I can't find anything that shows the UK funding more than ~40% of childcare for pre schoolers from 1 year old.

Archived