Scottish Independence

xbl

Sad to see so much self-loathing and fear (of Tories/UKIP/Westminster) from the Yessers. Seems it wasn't just restricted to the No campaign after all :(

For myself, I came very close to spoiling my paper because I didn't really want to support either camp. The Status Quo is not good enough but I was not fully convinced by what was on offer from Yes. In the end I decided that spoiling was unacceptable and voted Yes in an attempt to become an optimistic person but I suspect that many of the doubts that I had about Yes were ones that were shared by undecided voters all over the country who decided to turn to no.

I think that Yes made a tactical blunder by pinning their flag to the mast of currency union. It may have made the most economic sense but in the context of the referendum---all of Westminster and the media against you---you can't leave a great big open goal for the opposition to say "No, that's not going to happen, you'd have to agree that with us and we say No". Trying to convince undecideds that Westminster was bluffing was just too hard, and it was easy pickings for the No camp. If Plan A had been Sterlingisation or our own currency then Better Together would have had to argue against it on the basis of economics, and that would have been a lot harder for them. Swinney and Salmond seriously threatening to go down the nuclear route of walking away from the debt will also have turned off a lot of people.

Moving forward its going to be interesting to see what happens. Absolutely delighted to see such a huge turnout yesterday, I'm sure there are a lot of disappointed people this morning but what a year its been.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a fair point, I do accept it but I'm not exactly magnanimous about it.

I can honesty say I never for one minute thought the vote would be less than 55% Yes.

I haven't seen the breakdown but because of the margin I assume No won every age bracket, which again I didn't expect.

That's fair enough. I don't really know what brought you to that thinking.

I guess part of me always thought Yes supporters knew they were miles behind and were just putting a brave face on it to pretend otherwise. I didn't think so many people actually thought Yes would win, as seems to be the case.

I can honesty say I never for one minute thought the vote would be less than 55% Yes.

I haven't seen the breakdown but because of the margin I assume No won every age bracket, which again I didn't expect.

I'm not sure but what I've seen, totally unconfirmed on twitter, is that it was fairly even throughout the younger ages groups - No slightly shading it - but the over 40s seemed to make the biggest impact in Nos favor.

Some of the councils: Falkirk, Stirling and Angus for example were the ones who shocked me the most. Would never have guessed Angus at 60% No given how strong the support for SNP has been in the area.

Not sure how accurate

post-35247-14111256542977_thumb.jpg

On a lighter note I would just like to say

f**k Asda

f**k Sainsburys

f**k John Lewis

f**k BP

I will never set foot in any if your establishments ever again.

Adsa in Inverness is right next to my house, I'm going there later actually.

And I know which aisle most things are on.

My #indyref final thought.

Very down this morning. Horrible, empty feeling.

Just got all my Yes posters, badges and memorabilia, the White Paper, the Wee Blue Book, popped it all into a shoe box and placed it in the back of my cupboard.

Had a tear in my eye as I did that as I felt I was closing the lid on a future that will never be.

I look at my daughter running around carefree today and hope we've not made a fatal error for her generation. And if we have, I hope they grasp it better than us.

All the best everyone.

And apologies from a very embarrassed Aberdonian

I know exactly how you feel.

The dream I had for my two girls is no more.

Been feeling sick all day.

I do hope that more than anything, this will never be regretted by those who voted NO.

Going to keep my YES lapel badge on until these promised powers are delivered. If it last that long.

How long should it take Salmond to raise the higher rate of tax?

Feel deflated but not surprised by the result. I'm proud that Glasgow was a yes, really believe that Labour are truly f*cked here. The mobilisation of people who wouldn't normally vote to try and make a change politically has been quite inspiring and if there's one thing I'm going to try and take from this whole campaign it's to become more engaged in helping/donating to projects and concerns in my local community.

Another sad statistic from the accurate YouGov poll last night: three-quarters of No voters had made up their mind to vote No a year OR MORE ago. That's shocking. They'd decided before the White Paper!

So all this talk about voter engagement and participation doesn't really apply. Most No voters had their fingers in their ears. Whatever Yes said, it would have struggled to win.

Don't call this a victory for democracy.

Oh mate please. That is ridiculous. He didn't even know what currency we were going to use, whether prices would rise etc. Now I know that would have settled down when the two parties started talking initially but there'd be uncertainty for years.

Check share prices and the currency rates this morning and then imagine then going the other way x 5.

I want decentralised power but I want it done in a controlled way

You think prices won't rise after a No vote? Just how stupid are you?

Another sad statistic from the accurate YouGov poll last night: three-quarters of No voters had made up their mind to vote No a year OR MORE ago. That's shocking. They'd decided before the White Paper!

So all this talk about voter engagement and participation doesn't really apply. Most No voters had their fingers in their ears. Whatever Yes said, it would have struggled to win.

Don't call this a victory for democracy.

Is that the one where people agree with what you say or where they choose not to listen? Alex Salmond told people not to listen to Jim Murphy....

I agree on that one :P

But that's my choice ;)

Archived