Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no formal mechanism by which the Scottish MPs at Westminster or the MSPs at Holyrood can have deliberations into how the MPC decides policy. We have no influence, no control as it is. There is no evidence to suggest that Scottihs economic performance forms a critical area of deicsion making for those deciding MPC policy either. Accepting a currency union with the rUK gives us a chance of some small say beyond what we currently have, but even if it doesn't, or even if we don't get the CU and have to accept short term Sterlingisation, we are no worse off regarding monetary policy than we are right now.

you do have influence. without Scotland the uk will most likely be dominated by the tory policies for the foreseeable. you will be condemning yourselves to being subject to tory policy with no option on voting them out. no worse off? really? how do you know that?

you do have influence. without Scotland the uk will most likely be dominated by the tory policies for the foreseeable.

If the people of the rUK want a Tory government, who are we to deny them of that?

Besides, I don't want to be stuck in a 2 party system which you need to vote labour to try and keep the Tories out or in

I agree re his place on it but it is certainly amusing how such an 'irrelevance' has got them in a tizzy.

I think the poster above is correct. Regardless of what you think of him he would be a potential banana skin for anyone debating him.

Who's in a tizzy?

As far as i can see, he's repeatedly tweeted about it, with no one at all, other than his lickspittle followers giving him any credence whatsoever.

It's quite surprising that H_B is out of hiding after the past few days... Oh, wait, no it isn't because he's an absolute buffoon who had shat his pants.

I wouldn't say he shat his pants. He just hasn't had anything with which to belittle his fellow Jocks over.

you do have influence. without Scotland the uk will most likely be dominated by the tory policies for the foreseeable. you will be condemning yourselves to being subject to tory policy with no option on voting them out. no worse off? really? how do you know that?

UK gets Labour when England votes for Labour. Look back and you'll see that subtracting Scottish votes from GE reuslts does not change the nature of a government majority. Tony Balir would've had three majorities with or without Scotland.

beyond that, regardless of government composition, there is no formal mechanism by wchihs Scottish politicians can inform MPC deliberations, and no evidence that the MPC takes scottish eocnomic performance into it's calculations.

If the people of the rUK want a Tory government, who are we to deny them of that?

Besides, I don't want to be stuck in a 2 party system which you need to vote labour to try and keep the Tories out or in

Or a 2 party system which you need to vote SNP to keep Labour out. Or vote Labour to keep the SNP out.

It is amazing how some people who are about to vote No next week have no clue what is going to happen if there is a YES vote.
I was just talking to someone who said that the reason he was voting no is that there is no way we would be ready for Independence next week, i had to point out to him that did he not realise in event of a YES vote we had 18 months to sort things out,he was actually really shocked by this,we need to educate some people fast lol

I've met some really stupid people on both sides of the debate. The sort that believe any old crap that's posted on the internet.

What was it that Einstein said?

"Information is not knowledge".

Panel for tonight's 'bigbigdebate' is Patrick Harvie, Nicola Sturgeon, Ruth Davidson and George Galloway. Again, I have to question why Galloway is being allowed such a prominent role, but I think the calm nature of Harvie will more than counter Galloway's spitting rage.

ETA: This was announced half an hour ago by James Cook. Suppose it counteracts Galloways assertion that Sturgeon wasn't going to attend. Not the first time he's been lying, didn't he say he was debating Frankie Boyle the other day too?

Panel for tonight's 'bigbigdebate' is Patrick Harvie, Nicola Sturgeon, Ruth Davidson and George Galloway. Again, I have to question why Galloway is being allowed such a prominent role, but I think the calm nature of Harvie will more than counter Galloway's spitting rage.

ETA: This was announced half an hour ago by James Cook. Suppose it counteracts Galloways assertion that Sturgeon wasn't going to attend. Not the first time he's been lying, didn't he say he was debating Frankie Boyle the other day too?

For the first, and probably last time ever, I feel sorry for Ruth Davidson.

answer the question? the English government will be in control of your countries interest rates. you wont be able to do anything about it. its not a central bank its the bank of England. you will no longer have any chance at all in influencing who is in control of it.

One must presume that the Bank of England would remain in control of the interest rates, completely independent of the UK government as they are currently required to by statute. They question of course is how the BoE deal with having to set interest rates for two distinct and separate economies. Then, as now, one may assume that they will respond to the needs of the economy of the SE of England rather than that of Scotland and so we would have a fiscal system which is less responsive to the needs of Scotland than would otherwise be case with a completely separate currency. That's a compromise to weigh against the benefits of retaining currency links with our nearest neighbour and most important trading partner. It's the same compromise that the Eurozone countries willingly entered into but obviously to a lesser degree since we'd be talking about only two countries rather than twenty odd.

If the cons of having a currency union proved to outweigh the benefits then we'd presumably have to rethink.

answer the question? the English government will be in control of your countries interest rates. you wont be able to do anything about it. its not a central bank its the bank of England. you will no longer have any chance at all in influencing who is in control of it.

Deary me,

The bank of England are independent of the UK government at present and would be independent of the rUK Govt and the iScotland Government also.

I'm more than confident that Scotland would be able to live within the same parameters in terms of debt, deficit and productivity as our partners in a Currency Union.

I actually agree with H_B. A CU is needed by neither side however it would be beneficial to both. The decision on whether to enter into one have to be based on Economics, not Politics. For that reason, I'm reasonably certain that it will happen.

It's not the end of the world if it doesn't though.

Bo-Gco5CcAAhFd1.jpg

HAHAHAHAH YOU COULDNT MAKE IT UP

Except, well yes you could. Someone did.

The no camp seem to have worse Photoshop skills.

It's academic, because the whole Salmond argument of the NO's being negative, is very hypocritical when all he has banged on about for weeks is the NHS and how the Tories and Labour are all in league together. People will see through his bullshit. His hope that if you lie over and over eventually that people believe it.

Salmond will be shouting It's a conspiracy next Wednesday.

Is this on the telly?

Seeing Galloway on the same platform as wee Ruth might eclipse the "cat moment" as a low career point.

Double Jack D, on 11 Sept 2014 - 14:28, said:

Is this on the telly?

Seeing Galloway on the same platform as wee Ruth might eclipse the "cat moment" as a low career point.

BBC at 9pm in Scotland. Back of 10 if you're rUK.

Is this on the telly?

Think we need to drop calling Ruth Davidson " wee Ruthie ".

Did ye see the size o her the other day? Now we know who's been eating all o Salmonds pies.

Archived