Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

uncertainty to Scotland's economy given the number of unknowns surrounding the cost, effort and imponderables surrounding the setting up a new state.

It will have at least a 5 year impact.

Haven't we had 5 years of that already with austerity etc

Scotland is already a stable and successful country and Scottish companies operate within a known and predictable economy.

Independence can only add uncertainty to Scotland's economy given the number of unknowns surrounding the cost, effort and imponderables surrounding the setting up a new state.

You've just made that five year period up, haven't you?

Also it's questionable just how successful Scotland is at the moment given out natural resources.

How about the imponderables of a right wing campaign to attempt to remove the UK/rUK from the EU?

iScotland will have the potential to be a great deal more stable and successful than the UK imo.

Scotland is already a stable and successful country and Scottish companies operate within a known and predictable economy.

Independence can only add uncertainty to Scotland's economy given the number of unknowns surrounding the cost, effort and imponderables surrounding the setting up a new state.

Who cares.

Of course, you'll be able to back up this figure and prove it's more than just a number you've grabbed out the air.

No of course not. However the opportunity-loss to Scotland will be huge in areas such as:

Scottish currency

Central banking

Financial regulation

A plethora of other regulatory authorities

A constitution

Tax regime both personally and for companies.

Welfare regime

Welfare systems

Possibly the largest IT project in world history to write new programs from scratch.

An approach to diplomacy

Diplomatic missions

Relationships with entities like NATO and The UN

Consulates

European Union integration, timescales and conditions

Defense policy

For me? I'd prefer to put all that time, effort and money in to developing Scotland as is rather than spending billions on replicating what we already have.

No of course not. However the opportunity-loss to Scotland will be huge in areas such as:

Scottish currency

Central banking

Financial regulation

A plethora of other regulatory authorities

A constitution

Tax regime both personally and for companies.

Welfare regime

Welfare systems

Possibly the largest IT project in world history to write new programs from scratch.

An approach to diplomacy

Diplomatic missions

Relationships with entities like NATO and The UN

Consulates

European Union integration, timescales and conditions

Defense policy

For me? I'd prefer to put all that time, effort and money in to developing Scotland as is rather than spending billions on replicating what we already have.

I would rather spend the billions we will need to pay for Trident on those things

In general I have read the articles; whether lovebombing or fearmongering, with gritted teeth. I did have a chuckle at that though. Perhaps a little unfair as I know Brooker's sense of humour.

You've just made that five year period up, haven't you?

It was a wet-finger in the air guess at the amount of time it'd take for iScotland to replicate the apparatus of government that a modern state needs.

I don't think it is unreasonable.

I can't, of course, estimate the many billions of Groats nor the thousands of man years of effort it will take. Probably more than it's worth?

iScotland will have the potential to be a great deal more stable and successful than the UK imo.

Mibbes aye and mibbies naw . This is where the uncertainty kicks in.

How about the imponderables of a right wing campaign to attempt to remove the UK/rUK from the EU?

I know this is a notion beloved of Nats but Rangers will be a well-managed, bigot-free club living within its means and selling basil-infused tofu sandwiches on granary at catering outlets at Ibrox before rUK leaves the EU.

I got up to 'we once had the flair and audacity to rule the world.'

Understand this: it’s a distinct possibility that the Britain of David Hume, Jane Austen, Charles Darwin, Clement Attlee, Keir Hardie, Winston Churchill, John Lennon, Andy Murray – make your own list — has only 10 days left.

:lol:

More money was wiped of the value of Scottish companies on the LSE today than Scotland makes per year in oil revenue. Think this shows a slight insight into how the markets might react to a Yes vote?

1. Which companies? how much? how have you managed to value Scottish (as opposed to British) oil revenue? do you mean gross oil revenues or simply tax revenue?
  2. Are you really suggesting that we should change our plans on the basis of the fucking markets?

The drop in value of shares may be disappointing for those shareholders but when it's based on speculation rather than actual performance it means f**k all otherwise.

Archived