Scottish Independence

xbl

Someone near me this morning was claiming Spain would be opposing Scotland's membership of the EU, so that wouldn't be happening.

The Yes voter countered that by saying that the UK would be out of the EU in 3 years anyway.

Brilliant!

:lol:

It concerns me greatly that we live in the same country as, and in my case anyway work with, these people :(.

I mean honestly - where did we go wrong.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a boy at my work proper panicking that IS are poised to invade as soon as we get rid of trident.

With England coming from the south, Russia coming from the East/North (presumably) by sea and ISIS using their own teleportation powers right into the heart of Scotland, we're basically fucked.

:lol:

It concerns me greatly that we live in the same country as, and in my case anyway work with, these people :(.

I mean honestly - where did we go wrong.

I think some people are about 2 years behind the curve, so are repeating the fails of long ago.

Or are just fucking idiots. One of the two.

Just as a wee aside here, I wonder what would have happened and what peoples attitudes would have been from both sides, if the vote had been given to the people of England, Wales and Northern Ireland, if they thought Scotland should be kept as part of the union?.

I'd be confident on betting if it was a vote not to keep us in, some of those voting YES would have taken the " yi canny fucking dae that to us" approach and vice versa with the NO voters

I'm also fairly sure that would be the case! On the first question though, if the rest of the UK (hypothetically) did have a say, I'm certain that a strong majority would want to hold the Union.

So people in Glasgow, singing a song about being homesick for Scotland !!! :blink: eh?

Yes had a "battle bus" (like an old fire engine painted blue) in Stirling this weekend.

There seemed to be lots of chanting and shouting surrounding it, along with very strange looking individuals in weird clothing. Absolutely bizarre. It was as if you'd asked Mr Motivator or Bob the Builder to run a political rally.

"Can we do it?" "YES WE CAN!"

I'm not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere, but this extra powers malarkey by No has turned into an absolute mess.

Never mind that some folk have already voted, and No trying this on now is an abysmal way to treat people.

But, on Sunday morning, we were led to think it was serious extra powers, by which I interpreted tax-raising/spending and welfare.

By Sunday afternoon it was clear the three parties had no real common position, with Labour distancing themselves.

By Sunday night, it was seemingly a commission to look at extra powers.

By this morning, it was something like a working group to be chaired by someone or other.

Now, Gordon Brown has set-up a time-table based on a proposal for a working paper, to be drafted in October, with limited further devolution seemingly time-tabled for January, despite the fact that both Conservatives and Liberals have commitment to more than these limited powers.

Absolute shambles, altogether.

Ooo, the much anticipated timetable for new powers if we vote No.

October 2014: A command paper published by the present government setting out all the proposals for change

November 2014: Following a period of discussion and consultation with civic society the heads of agreement in the form of white paper or equivalent document

January 2015: Draft clauses for legislation as the new Scotland Bill

That's just noise.

This.

I've heard some stupid arguments from both sides two examples being;

" If you don't vote Yes, you'll never be able to sing Flower Of Scotland" again

" I'm voting No because the union jack would look stupid without the saltire included"

The guy fae the Weir group.

" I've lived and worked in Scotland my whole life" " I'm a very proud Scot, I go to the rugby and everything".

Boris Johnson's usually very well versed, but this is an extraordinary gaffe from someone that was classically educated supposedly:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11080893/Scottish-independence-Decapitate-Britain-and-we-kill-off-the-greatest-political-union-ever.html

"Is Salmond going to ask for the Elgin Marbles to be restored to Elgin? No one has thought any of this through."

Yeah, least of all you. They're called the Elgin marbles because the Earl of Elgin was the one that took them off the Greeks - they're the ones that want them back.

Yes had a "battle bus" (like an old fire engine painted blue) in Stirling this weekend.

There seemed to be lots of chanting and shouting surrounding it, along with very strange looking individuals in weird clothing. Absolutely bizarre. It was as if you'd asked Mr Motivator or Bob the Builder to run a political rally.

"Can we do it?" "YES WE CAN!"

I saw Labour's big red version in Govan on Saturday. Pretty much the same as above, minus the enthusiasm.

So, any details of devo super-duper yet? ;)

No details, but Brown has promised to talk to people then put a bill before parliament in 2015. Yet there won't be time for that bill, nor is there any guarantee it will be voted through.

So it's all a promise of further promises on a possible promise down the line but only if we don't vote Yes.

I'm aware we could spend days laughing at ill-informed opinions from both sides here, but this one really is special. The BBC have got a live feed running now until the referendum, with the usual contributions from the public included. This:

Mike Price-James from Cheshire: If Alex Salmond is so determined to get Scotland's fair 8% of UK's assets, does that not mean that the rest of the UK will get 92% of Scotland's assets? From a Welshman living in England, it seems that this supposed split of belongings is very one sided and very Salmond-centric, in fact this whole debate is Salmond-centric.

Fucks sake.

Archived