Scottish Independence

xbl

George is on the bevvy today

@GeorgeFoulkes: John Major answering my question on Soft Power select Cttee unprompted says Scottish separation would reduce seriously our standing in world

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

George is on a roll today

@GeorgeFoulkes: John Major answering my question on Soft Power select Cttee unprompted says Scottish separation would reduce seriously our standing in world

What, worse than having absolutely no standing at all?

What could THAT be?

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling the majority of Scotland's electorate will not vote at all. At least 50% of those that eventually do vote "yes" will do so based solely on the principle of "f**k it, let's see what happens".

The ones feeling sufficiently worried about the potential outcome of a majority "yes" vote to vote "no" will be in the minority.

Confused?

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling the majority of Scotland's electorate will not vote at all. At least 50% of those that eventually do vote "yes" will do so based solely on the principle of "f**k it, let's see what happens".

The ones feeling sufficiently worried about the potential outcome of a majority "yes" vote to vote "no" will be in the minority.

Confused?

Aye

I have 2 mates who never vote in elections, but they pretty much said this. That at least provides some hope for the independence campaigners.

Rumours going about the GMB are going to boycott Better Together due to Tory involvement

Unhappy with being linked to a campaign that is heavily funded by Tory donors and quite obviously (despite the toothless, powerless backbencher Darling) being orchestrated by aristocrat Dave and Gideon. They are not dropping their opposition to Independence though, merely shifting their support to Labours version of Bitter Together.

Front page of the English Sun tomorrow

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1387319583.396226.jpg

Or else what? Revolution? Voting in UKIP and making Farage leader? Mass anti-foreigner demonstrations? Civil disobediance? Strongly worded letters?

I realise this is a lowlife rag but are they actually threatening to organise something which may damage the very government they strongly supported? Or is it part of the Home Office policy to plant bullshit stories about vile johnny foreigner stealing our jobs and shagging our women in order to make it look as though their isolationist plans for illegally circumventing EU law is actually just them doing what the people of the UK want them to do.

Or else what? Revolution? Voting in UKIP and making Farage leader? Mass anti-foreigner demonstrations? Civil disobediance? Strongly worded letters?

I realise this is a lowlife rag but are they actually threatening to organise something which may damage the very government they strongly supported? Or is it part of the Home Office policy to plant bullshit stories about vile johnny foreigner stealing our jobs and shagging our women in order to make it look as though their isolationist plans for illegally circumventing EU law is actually just them doing what the people of the UK want them to do.

Reading between the lines they're basically saying prevent a mass influx from Romania/Bulgaria or else the nation will vote themselves out of the EU.

Reading between the lines they're basically saying prevent a mass influx from Romania/Bulgaria or else the nation will vote themselves out of the EU.

Its not like the Sun to get hysterical. More fuel to the fire of the Westminster EU referendum lobby.

Its not like the Sun to get hysterical. More fuel to the fire of the Westminster EU referendum lobby.

And we've to worry about whether we'll gain entry in 18 months, we'll be out on our arse if we don't vote YES.

Why is immigration so frowned upon? I just don't understand the thinking of some people.

cuz all da imgrunts be takin out jhobs?

Quite frankly I can't blame an employer who prefers Poles and Czechs to Brits. They seem more willing to work long hours etc

Although I do agree that it's reasonable to be concerned about non-EU migrants for the time being. Not saying it should be stopped altogether but at the moment society doesn't seem to have enough jobs to support everyone.

cuz all da imgrunts be takin out jhobs?

Quite frankly I can't blame an employer who prefers Poles and Czechs to Brits. They seem more willing to work long hours etc

Although I do agree that it's reasonable to be concerned about non-EU migrants for the time being. Not saying it should be stopped altogether but at the moment society doesn't seem to have enough jobs to support everyone.

You don't understand Economics.

Pure and simple racism. Immigration in macro-economic terms has been a huge benefit to Scotland. I often wonder that if a similar band to the Proclaimers released - England's Story" How it would be received.

I don't think that's fair across the board, I'm sure the media putting the frighteners up people has something to do with some peoples view point, a lot of people don't look past the headlines on those sort of stories.

Archived