Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vaguely recall before the vote they shat it and changed it to something like 70% required for yes not 51?

The condition was to do with turnout IIRC - think it had to be 70%+

There was a requirement that in addition to a majority in the actual poll, the "Yes" vote had to also represent at least 40% of the registered electorate. Yes got 51.6% of the votes cast, but their total was only equivalent to 32.9% of the electorate. That was on a 63.8% turnout.

There was a requirement that in addition to a majority in the actual poll, the "Yes" vote had to also represent at least 40% of the registered electorate. Yes got 51.6% of the votes cast, but their total was only equivalent to 32.9% of the electorate. That was on a 63.8% turnout.

It was 40% of the total electorate had to vote yes.

The condition was to do with turnout IIRC - think it had to be 70%+

I vaguely recall before the vote they shat it and changed it to something like 70% required for yes not 51?

40% of the electorate needed to vote yes, not just those who voted but of all the electorate. When investigated it was shown this would be nigh on impossible to achieve due to turn out and the way the electoral registers were so out of date.

More interestingly was that the 40% figure was not put into place when the Scotland Act 1978 was first put to Parliament. It was an amendment by a Labour politician who represented a London constituency. Imagine that, Labour desperately holding onto Scotland purely to bolster their Westminster case rather than for the benefit of the Scots themselves. Can't see that happening in our more enlightened times.. :rolleyes:

if Scotland is such a drain on the UK then why is the pound nosediving?

I might be wrong as I only caught the end of the report on 5 live but it sounded as though they were trying to argue that the financial markets were getting jittery due to Scotland being unable to support itself financially following a yes vote.

Needless to say I was screaming at the radio!

I might be wrong as I only caught the end of the report on 5 live but it sounded as though they were trying to argue that the financial markets were getting jittery due to Scotland being unable to support itself financially following a yes vote.

:lol:

Incredible.

There was a 'No Thanks' stall at the Scottish Airshow in Ayr on Saturday.

In a place like Ayr, a traditional Tory place, I suppose you could expect that.

Ayr has had a far better presence from YES than NO, I actually think the vote in Ayr & Prestwick might be a lot closer than I ever imagined.

Errr... I think you will find there was a stall.

Haven't posted here in ages due to not having the time, but I have to respond to this. There was a stall all right and it was mobbed from start to finish. You couldn't see it because either a) you were walking around with your eyes shut b ) never walked passed it, or c) you couldn't see it due to the amount of people at it. There was actually two BT stalls one manned by Tories and one manned by Labour and they had both packed up by about 4 o'clock. . If you ever want to see an indication of how well it is going down here, you only have to look at the forlorn looks of our elected officials from the naysayers on the streets to see how well it is going down here. there was a strong rumour that Baron Foulkes of Gobshiterry was mulling about for a time on Saturday along with Sandra Osborne, the only woman who has a more miserable look on her pus than Jolo.

It is now at the point where I am starting to believe that South Ayrshire could very well vote Yes, something that, even a few weeks ago, I never ever would have imagined possible. And even if it isn't a majority there will only be a bawhair in it.

Panic has set in and it's wonderful to see. :)

I was listening. They weren't. If anything the report was fairly well balanced in that the expert made it very clear that the markets were not fluctuating because of worries about an independent Scotland not being able to support itself, but because the market hates uncertainty.

Of course there is a simple way to stop the uncertainty and that is for the Westminster government to enter into discussions about a currency union after independence. By not doing so Westminster is losing the country money, every single second.

Archived