Scottish Independence

xbl

A whisper doing the rounds on Twitter yesterday that the higher rate of tax to start at £25,000 in an iScotland.

I for one hope that's a load of shite, how would that attract top medical/technical/scientific folk to Scotland?

If it is indeed true, I hope it gets aired well before the vote, I may well need to make England my 1st postal home and Ayrshire my second if fact.

It was aired well before the vote. It probably originally appeared in the Scottish Daily Express, but can be dated by it's appearance in The Mail on Sunday in Scotland on 13th July 2013 (In case you haven't worked that out, Tryfield, that's over a year ago)

Here's the link to Wing's take on events http://wingsoverscotland.com/smoke-without-fire/ - I knew that I'd read it before...

Accordingly, I don't see it appearing on a Better Together leaflet any time soon

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, ye mean all the oil workers, teachers, doctors, surgeons, engineers, technicians, windmill workers, police and awe them? £25,000 is quite a low mark for professionals nowadays.

If it's nonsense, we'll see the politicians declaring publicly that it's nonsense, surely. Anyway, no doubt it will do the rounds in pamphlets, through all the doors.

Why will politicians need to come out and declare anything against such utter twaddle?

Are you suggesting that if Cameron & Co don't come out and slap down some utter pish that I make up then it must be true?

Try and comprehend what I posted rather than post jobs that earn over £25k, as I said, most people that are taken in by that pish won't see the top rate of tax which is nowhere near £25k.

Can I also point out that knowing where the top rate kicks in is pretty useless without knowing what the rate is.

A whisper doing the rounds on Twitter yesterday that the higher rate of tax to start at £25,000 in an iScotland.

I for one hope that's a load of shite, how would that attract top medical/technical/scientific folk to Scotland?

If it is indeed true, I hope it gets aired well before the vote, I may well need to make England my 1st postal home and Ayrshire my second if fact.

I fit all the above.

Still voting Yes. Regardless.

Oh. Thanks for that. So kind. Still, loadsamoney helps.

As far as I've seen you said yourself you've read some great arguments for yes, but you've declined to tell us if you've heard any great arguments for no.

That's because there aren't any...

Can I also point out that knowing where the top rate kicks in is pretty useless without knowing what the rate is.

Exactly. One without the other means very little.

There are enough facts and sources of information around without people having to pay attention to rumour and assertion.

As far as I've seen you said yourself you've read some great arguments for yes, but you've declined to tell us if you've heard any great arguments for no.

No arguments at all for ditching the WM political system, none?

Aye, very good jock

The opportunity to continually vote for a Tory government is a great argument for no.

What do pensions have to do with fecklessness and what risks do we have to mitigate?

Those who are financially able to augment pensions, arrange unemployment/sickness insurance etc but choose not to do so. I have no sympathy whatsoever for idiots who don't take any action to protect themselves.

Those who are financially able to augment pensions, arrange unemployment/sickness insurance etc but choose not to do so. I have no sympathy whatsoever for idiots who don't take any action to protect themselves.

At what income level does fecklessness become "too poor to pay"?

At what income level does fecklessness become "too poor to pay"?

Read the previous post. I did say that we should have a system that encourages people to save etc.

Or are you just being your usual thick as pigshit self?

By the way if you don't think people can be feckless then you are even more stupid than I thought.

Read the previous post. I did say that we should have a system that encourages people to save etc.

I know, and I asked at what point does not saving stop being feckless and becomes too poor to save? It's not a hard question, chum.

By the way if you don't think people can be feckless then you are even more stupid than I thought.

By the way, if you think I said that then you're thick as pigshit.

Why become so rude and defensive? All I've done is ask simple, pertinent questions.

Redrob - I won't shoot the messenger. Where did you get those stats? Or rather, where did the link get those stats from? I can't access it (which is not denying it's existence, I just can't get it to work?)

The Child Poverty Action Group ( http://www.cpag.org.uk/scotland ) is a good source of information, imo.

Here's a couple of soundbites from them.

"Official 2012/13 child poverty statistics for Scotland show that 30,000 more children are living in poverty. John Dickie, Head of CPAG in Scotland said, "These figures mark the turning of the tide on child poverty as UK Government tax and benefit policies slash family income at the same time as wages stagnate"

AND

“The warnings of a surge in child poverty are bleak, but hardly surprising when families have been put in the frontline of austerity and the back of the queue for the recovery.

“One of the most worrying things about Britain’s growing child poverty problem is it’s mainly families who have work who are still left in poverty. Something’s gone very badly wrong with our economy when the richest 5 families in Britain have more wealth than the poorest 12 million people.

“When you look at the draft child poverty strategy, there simply isn’t a clear plan for living wages, affordable housing and affordable childcare. Child benefit and child tax credits are still being cut this year and next too. It’s a political choice to do this, and it will take a political choice to stop it.”

Also, I find it interesting that the ones who try and mewl and whine that poverty in Scotland isn't real poverty are No voters.

it was on the JRF website posted in April this year IIRC

Archived