Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't vote in the referendum. I would have originally been in Scotland for it, but personal circumstances meant I had to move back home to London.

I've already said quite a few times on here that I'd probably vote yes if I did have a vote.

Good lad. I can't imagine anyone from P and B with an Essex accent though to be honest... :lol:

:lol:

My biggest regret from my 5 years in Aberdeen is that I still can't put on any sort of Scottish accent :(

To be fair if you are wanting a Scottish accent Aberdeens no really the place to be learning it they all sound funny up there. ;)

Come to Dundee and you'll get a tinky Scottish accent in no time, you'll be saying pehs, ehs and fehvs in no time. :lol:

To be fair if you are wanting a Scottish accent Aberdeens no really the place to be learning it they all sound funny up there. ;)

Come to Dundee and you'll get a tinky Scottish accent in no time, you'll be saying pehs, ehs and fehvs in no time. :lol:

To be honest, I thought being able to understand really broad Aberdonian folk was an achievement in itself. Going to Pittodrie every fortnight helped.

No even a wee bit of Doric, CCH?

Haha no, a 'Fit like' from me sounds completely ridiculous. Which is a pity, because doric has some fantastic words.

I can't vote in the referendum. I would have originally been in Scotland for it, but personal circumstances meant I had to move back home to London.

I've already said quite a few times on here that I'd probably vote yes if I did have a vote.

Why would you probably vote YES?

The case against #no.

Just got sent this the other day. Handy for some pretty awful facts on poverty under the 'UK'. Many of those below the poverty line actually have jobs. Shocking for such a 'big' nation with so much wealth.

shelter.png

It's not just about poverty - actually I hate that word because what we have is not poverty in the true sense of the word. But that's a different debate. It is for me about quality of life.

The issue is very complex and not as simplistic as some would have us believe. Many are one payment away not just because of low wages or unemployment but because they don't save. We have a culture of spend now and not consider the consequences.

Financial illiteracy is a major bugbear of mine - there are many out there who have no budgetting skills, no access to cheap credit, no access to bank accounts and no internet access. Whilst some good working is getting done it is just scratching the surface. I find it bizarre that at a time when stricter conditions are being placed on mortgage applications that there is not the same rigour given to pay-day loan applications. It's nonsense that someone who is not working, or has never even worked, can be given credit at extortionate rates of interest and no discernable means of repaying.

We also are not helped by a benefits system that seems to be designed to reduce the benefits bill instead of supporting individuals to fulfill their potential.

I know some here argue that by being independent that will change - I am somewhat sceptical given that there does not seem to be a political party prepared to take action beyond the usual platitudes and gesture politics.

It's not just about poverty - actually I hate that word because what we have is not poverty in the true sense of the word. But that's a different debate. It is for me about quality of life.

The issue is very complex and not as simplistic as some would have us believe. Many are one payment away not just because of low wages or unemployment but because they don't save. We have a culture of spend now and not consider the consequences.

I'm not going to go into your perception of poverty, because we'll be here all day, but on your point about saving. Do you know many people in a postition to save? I don't.

I'm not going to go into your perception of poverty, because we'll be here all day, but on your point about saving. Do you know many people in a postition to save? I don't.

I thought you hung out with a load of volvo employees....

The gaps appearing in your cover story are wider than your wife's gash, imo

I know lots of people in a position to save, but then I'm part of the goalkeepers' union.

Archived