Scottish Independence

xbl

The 18 month timeline is an SNP idea; we could have had longer (before the next Scottish Parliament elections) if they had not delayed the actual referendum to just about the last minute for political purposes.

In what way did they delay it? Was a previous date given before September 14 that I'm unaware of?

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is more interesting are the comments on the timeline. I wondered about this before.

Again, arrogantly, as with the currency union, the timeline is something the SNP have put in place with no regard to other parties with whome the new Scottish government would be negotiating, be that the EU or the UK.

Other parties will not be held to Alex Salmond's self-created timeline.

They might not, but in an absence of willingness to agree a timeline prior to a Yes vote (god knows, I wouldn't) and constantly badgered to add detail to plans lest they be accused of 'wooly, uncosted' proposals, what else could they do but put in some kind of timeline, even if it's just a placeholder.

I think they've been a bit more definite on it than, "this is just a date we are aiming towards"

It always struck me as an amateur move. Perhaps indicative of their lack of experience of big people politics. I suspect they now regret naming a date and tying themselves to it.

I also ont see what costings have to do with a timeline.

I don't remember anyone pushing the SNP to name an arbitrary date post September for "Independence Day". I think this is a fail they came up with all by themselves.

I think they've been a bit more definite on it than, "this is just a date we are aiming towards"

It always struck me as an amateur move. Perhaps indicative of their lack of experience of big people politics. I suspect they now regret naming a date and tying themselves to it.

They would've been pillioried had they been more vague. Don't slap a timeline on it, accused of not thinking it through and placing the Scottish economy in jeapordy while we get stuck in some open ended transition. Slap a timeline on it and get accused of arrogance.

"Big people politics" :lol:

Oh, HB :(

They would've been pillioried had they been more vague.

No they wouldn't. It wasnt even mentioned til they came out with this arbitrary date. Both Ad Lib and I said at the time it was a mistake and a strange decision.

They were pilloried then. And it's become increasingly clear why. They've now tied themselves to a date they require the goodwill of other countries and supranational bodies to make.

Bonkers.

No they wouldn't. It wasnt even mentioned til they came out with this arbitrary date. Both Ad Lib and I said at the time it was a mistake and a strange decision.

They were pilloried then. And it's become increasingly clear why. They've now tied themselves to a date they require the goodwill of other countries and supranational bodies to make.

Bonkers.

Are you trying to drape yourself in Ad Lib's credibility? :lol: "As I was saying the other day, and Ad Lib and Winston Churchill agreed with me...."

It's not a particularly big thing, and most folk won't care after a Yes vote either.

Are you trying to drape yourself in Ad Lib's credibility? :lol: "As I was saying the other day, and Ad Lib and Winston Churchill agreed with me...."

It's not a particularly big thing, and most folk won't care after a Yes vote either.

As I said, it's just an amateur move.

As with the Currency Union, when the SNP were annihilated by Westminster, it shows their naivety when dealing with things beyond their own parochioal little zone.

As I said, it's just an amateur move.

As with the Currency Union, when the SNP were annihilated by Westminster, it shows their naivety when dealing with things beyond their own parochioal little zone.

You mean when Westminster ganged up on the SNP, were perceived to be bullying them and in fact no one believed them when they said it anyway.

Killer moves from Westminster right there.

And you are qualified to make this judgement on what basis? What professional qualifications do you have in politics?

Bonkers.

Correct.

The SNP could have minimised the force of pretty much every single negative aspect of both the questions about currency and EU membership if they had just said that independence would take place once intergovernmental talks had produced a workable transitional arrangement. They could even have said that they foresee a timetable of 18-24 months for this.

Instead, they said, to quote the White Paper:

"We will [negotiate] in time for Scotland to become independent on 24th March 2016 and be ready for the first elections to an independent Scottish Parliament in the spring of that year."

Basically admitting that their only interest is in guaranteeing that the SNP are in power when all the negotiations are happening and that they don't want the pesky Scottish public getting in the way of their controlling how a new Scottish state is set up, even if this means causing problems in the negotiations with the UK government and 28 member-states of the European Union.

By whom, though? This isn't the policy of the Scottish Government.

Alex Salmond has said it at least a couple of times. Anyone that thinks it will be solely the SNP at the table is off their head IMO.

Archived