Scottish Independence

xbl

WhatScotsThink polls of polls - looks good but is it fast enough?

BjC1P8kIAAEf0zA.jpg

Does it look as good as the arcofprosperity polls that were breathlessly repeated last year and foretold a massive Yes victory?

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dubai

DUBAI-LABOR-77557333_medium.jpg

I laughed til I had a tear in my eye at some of the gutrot put forward by HB and Adlib - show this to your children about the perils of spending too much time on the internet "learning about the world" and not enough actually going out and, you know, engaging in old fashioned speaking to actual people.

The above photo is the best bit. This is supposed to "represent" poverty in the UAE. Go on HB, make us laugh. What's the poverty here? Oh, I see, you saw a black man in the street and a Pakistani man "in pyjamas" (not, of course, the normal national dress of Pakistani workers) and thought they must be slaves.

Ha ha ha, ya daft racist.

Glasgow :-

MackGlasgow01a.jpg

God, I love steps. Steps demonstrate wealth and power. Gan on yersel steps.

This was supposed to demonstrate the contrast of the beauty of Glasgow and your third point was "we have steps".

Kneel down world and marvel.

Among others, the poor in the UAE, who face far greater abandonment and exploitation by their political elites, who have scarcely if at all benefited from oil in comparison to the substantial and welcome welfare state that has been able to be sustained in this country in no small part thanks to such revenues. Their position is far worse than the plight of your average family in Easterhouse.

Ah, I see what you've done there. You've said "the Middle East" and the likes of "Qatar" are the same. What you haven't done is actually any homework. For example, how much oil does Dubai have? Not much is the answer, a little bit of gas but Dubai operates as a free market economy based on trade, comparing Scotland's oil income to Dubai is like boasting that Antarctica gets more snow than Miami.

So, a family is worse off than Easterhouse? No, as the workers of Dubai (and Middle East) come without their wives and children. Also, they get housing/ utilities etc paid. Their wage - around 2,000dhs a month (330 quid) is literally to pay for them and their food. Now, tell me a family in Easterhouse with one member working 20 hours a week on minimum wage is better off?

Hilarious.

Could you please provide me some evidence that to substantiate that something is "offensive" we need "complaints" or "a Court of Law" to declare it?

Something is offensive if it is, among other things, insulting, rude, derogatory, impertinent, impudent, indecent or improper.

In case you hadn't noticed, it is a subjective, not an objective, adjective. It is improper, insulting and impertinent to use false extremes (the most affluent image of the UAE vs the least advantaged image of Scotland) to draw a valid comparison about the impact of oil wealth on the poorest in those countries. It serves to belittle and misrepresent the United Kingdom of having shown total disregard for their poor in some sort of stark contrast to a supremely benevolent pair of Emirates, when the truth is completely different and far more complicated than that.

It serves to belittle and undermine the very real poverty experienced by millions in the UAE and to conceal the reality that oil wealth has even more extremely concentrated itself in the hands of the few in that state than it has here.

Put the thesaurus away Champ, you're talking balls.

I laughed til I had a tear in my eye at some of the gutrot put forward by HB and Adlib - show this to your children about the perils of spending too much time on the internet "learning about the world" and not enough actually going out and, you know, engaging in old fashioned speaking to actual people.

The above photo is the best bit. This is supposed to "represent" poverty in the UAE. Go on HB, make us laugh. What's the poverty here? Oh, I see, you saw a black man in the street and a Pakistani man "in pyjamas" (not, of course, the normal national dress of Pakistani workers) and thought they must be slaves.

This was supposed to demonstrate the contrast of the beauty of Glasgow and your third point was "we have steps".

Ah, I see what you've done there. You've said "the Middle East" and the likes of "Qatar" are the same. What you haven't done is actually any homework. For example, how much oil does Dubai have? Not much is the answer, a little bit of gas but Dubai operates as a free market economy based on trade, comparing Scotland's oil income to Dubai is like boasting that Antarctica gets more snow than Miami.

So, a family is worse off than Easterhouse? No, as the workers of Dubai (and Middle East) come without their wives and children. Also, they get housing/ utilities etc paid. Their wage - around 2,000dhs a month (330 quid) is literally to pay for them and their food. Now, tell me a family in Easterhouse with one member working 20 hours a week on minimum wage is better off?

Hilarious.

Put the thesaurus away Champ, you're talking balls.

I believe that's called "getting someone telt".

Sterling work, Sanny.

Aye you can almost feel the Adlib/HB express heading this way...

He can be safe in the knowledge that he will probably have them both absolutely apoplectic and frothing at the mouth.

You are a cretin.

The point of H_B's posts was to show how ridiculous and false the comparators were. He was not suggesting that Glasgow only has beautiful steps or that Abu Dhabi or Dubai contain only poverty.

Actually, I think you'll find I've said neither the words "Middle East" nor "Qatar" because I have not been referring to either of them in my points. Nor indeed have I commented on how much oil either Dubai nor Abu Dhabi have. I have, by contrast, pointed out that the poor in the UAE have, for the most part, not benefited from the oil they do have, and that most of that wealth, insofar as it exists, has gone to elites, and far more so than it has done in the UK. So this is irrelevant.

What?

If people who work in Dubai don't come with their families, I'm going to tentatively suggest that their family's housing and utilities aren't paid. They still have to pay for a place for their family to live, eat and work. Even allowing for £330 a month, I'm going tentatively to suggest this is not as good a set-up as a "family" in Easterhouse who if they have a part-time worker will be eligible for housing benefit, council tax benefit, working families tax credit, child benefit, JSA for those who aren't working, ESA or Incapacity Benefit for those who have obstacles to work and more, circumstance dependent.

All of this is somewhat besides the point, however. because the poorest in Dubai aren't working in oil. The poorest in Dubai aren't getting £330 per month plus digs and utilities. These are completely non-comparable people which is precisely why the original picture is a distortion. If you want to compare the situation of an oil worker in Dubai to that of one in Aberdeen, feel free. I suggest that that probably won't help your case either.

I was talking about the Labour kid from the video

The wee scouse ginger Labour mutant deserves abuse.

And what about the Labour councillor who admitted failing a college HND course right after being introduced as an "expert economist" :lol:

You are a cretin.

The point of H_B's posts was to show how ridiculous and false the comparators were. He was not suggesting that Glasgow only has beautiful steps or that Abu Dhabi or Dubai contain only poverty.

Well he failed there then. The point of the original post was to show how our oil wealth was squandered. So what does H_B do? He posts pictures of buildings built before we found oil. :lol:

The wee scouse ginger Labour mutant deserves abuse.

And what about the Labour councillor who admitted failing a college HND course right after being introduced as an "expert economist" :lol:

Was the college course in Economics?

Well he failed there then. The point of the original post was to show how our oil wealth was squandered. So what does H_B do? He posts pictures of buildings built before we found oil. :lol:

But we have no more squandered our oil than Abu Dhabi or Dubai with respect to poverty.

But we have no more squandered our oil than Abu Dhabi or Dubai with respect to poverty.

When did Abu Dhabi or Dubai buy these things then?

post-39650-0-21578300-1395360006_thumb.j

At least the Emirates spent their money on infrastructure and buildings, not the ability to destroy them.

Archived