Scottish Independence

xbl

Not sure if this has been posted before, if the cartoons had depicted somebody else in the condem government, there'd be an outcry imo.

Surprised Salmond is disliked this much down South, when you have the likes of Boris hosting HIGNFY and Nigel Farage presenting the weather.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/210780-they-love-scotland/

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironically Cameron and Osborne are actually pushing me towards a yes vote, rather than a no vote. I was a solid no vote 6 months ago, I'm still not 100% decided, but I'm definitely learning towards yes. This oil discussion was yet another nudge towards yes.

What in particular about yesterday nudged you further towards Yes, just out of interest?

Do you have any proof that the UK Government were the first government to plan a meeting in Aberdeen this week and that the Scottish Government have simply based their plans on this?

Who did it first is irrelevant. Holding Cabinet meetings "around the country" is a publicity stunt that substitutes TV cameras in a place with slower WiFi in place of, you know, actual localism.

Who did it first is irrelevant. Holding Cabinet meetings "around the country" is a publicity stunt that substitutes TV cameras in a place with slower WiFi in place of, you know, actual localism.

Surely it's only a publicity stunt if you do it as a 1 off like Westminster?

What in particular about yesterday nudged you further towards Yes, just out of interest?

Cameron saying we need the UK Economy to manage the oil reserves, as if we couldn't manage it ourselves. We have no right to the pound but have to take a share of their debts. It's all just pretty insulting to me.

Cameron saying we need the UK Economy to manage the oil reserves, as if we couldn't manage it ourselves. We have no right to the pound but have to take a share of their debts. It's all just pretty insulting to me.

It's pretty insulting to anyone with a brain.

Do you have any proof that the UK Government were the first government to plan a meeting in Aberdeen this week and that the Scottish Government have simply based their plans on this?

They were both there to endorse a report, which they could have done from Edinburgh and London, both an appalling waste of money

Surely it's only a publicity stunt if you do it as a 1 off like Westminster?

But it isn't a one-off. Westminster has held Cabinet in various places since (IIRC) Blair reintroduced the idea of roaming cabinet meetings more than a decade ago.

But it isn't a one-off. Westminster has held Cabinet in various places since (IIRC) Blair reintroduced the idea of roaming cabinet meetings more than a decade ago.

I'm still looking for proof that the Scottish Government essentially followed the UK Government to Aberdeen to hold a cabinet meeting at the same time as Cameron and Co, as a cheap stunt.

Are you going to admit you were talking complete and utter bollocks when you said this?

I'm still looking for proof that the Scottish Government essentially followed the UK Government to Aberdeen to hold a cabinet meeting at the same time as Cameron and Co, as a cheap stunt.

Are you going to admit you were talking complete and utter bollocks when you said this?

I didn't say they followed them! Read what I said.

I said that that the Scottish Government's decision to hold Cabinet somewhere other than Edinburgh was every bit as much of a publicity stunt as the UK Cabinet's decision to hold one in Aberdeen, much like when it has also held Cabinet meetings in other parts of the UK outside of London. All of these exercises are stunts.

I didn't say they followed them! Read what I said.

I said that that the Scottish Government's decision to hold Cabinet somewhere other than Edinburgh was every bit as much of a publicity stunt as the UK Cabinet's decision to hold one in Aberdeen, much like when it has also held Cabinet meetings in other parts of the UK outside of London. All of these exercises are stunts.

In your original post you made reference to the two meetings being held at the same time.

If the UK government weren't holding any cabinet meeting would you still be saying it was a political stunt from the SNP?

In your original post you made reference to the two meetings being held at the same time.

If the UK government weren't holding any cabinet meeting would you still be saying it was a political stunt from the SNP?

I made reference to the two meetings being held at the same time. I did not say that the Scottish Government retrospectively chose to hold their Cabinet meeting in Portlethen. Those are different things.

My point was much simpler than that. All Cabinet meetings not held in their usual place are stunts, whether held by the UK Government or the Scottish Government, whenever they are held. People to go "haw the UK government are doing a stunt" should probably also go "haw the Scottish Government are doing a stunt" if they wish to avoid hypocrisy. I happen not to care at all about these stunts, whether conducted by Westminster or Holyrood's executive branch. Those that claim one side is worse than the other for this, however, are running an agenda and expressing selective outrage, because both governments are doing exactly the same thing.

I believe next month could very well be a defining moment in the referendum campaign. The Labour conference will be held in March and Lamont will announce what new powers (if any) they will devolve to Holyrood if there is a No vote.

Rumours of infighting and the possibility of boycotts of the conference over the announcement, it puts Lamont under the spotlight and real pressure as leader.

Too little powers and "don't know" voters could turn to Yes. Any substantial powers could cause a rift within the party leading up to the referendum vote which wouldn't play well with the electorate.

Archived