Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't convinced on the bookie thing being based on inside knowledge, doesn't mean I thought there was going to be a Yes by that point. I went to sleep before the Clackmannanshire result and didn't watch the results as I had initially planned to do because I could see which way the wind was blowing.

The complete failure to understand why the odds on No were so low was a general failing in posters.

The nonsense Ross was peddling for example

At the end of the day financial uncertainty is the winner. Farmers concerned with losing EU grants and middle-age to older people concerned with losing more money from their pension pots if markets were to plummet with a Yes vote after just coming through a recession. Pound up, markets up this morning. I'm no economist but I have to assume it would have been the opposite with Yes.

Facebook is a fucking bombscare this morning though. Words being banded about such as "shitebags" is ridiculous.

Will be interesting to see how many (if any) Labour yesses move away from Labour now altogether. I'd guess that some of them at least won't be voting Labour next Scottish Election

To be honest, i secretly hope Jolo is the first minister in 2016.

A shite labour Scottish government enacting shite new powers would at least give us some "telt ye" material when we head down the pan.

Unlucky yes campaigners. The guys on the right side off the argument won in my opinion.

Not a time for recriminations but a time to accept the result and move on. Most will.

The debate at times has been good, at other times not so good but there will always be zoomers on a forum. Thanks to those who tried to keep it adult and sensible.

The complete failure to understand why the odds on No were so low was a general failing in posters.

The nonsense Ross was peddling for example

All I was pointing out was that they are out to make a buck first and foremost and are not an infallible prediction service. The moment there was talk of No winning Clackmannanshire and Falkirk that was obviously based on rumours from people at the counts and of Alex Salmond having decided to give his local count the body swerve it was game over. At that point the drift in the odds was reflecting solid insider information.

Too many uneducated NO voters fearing change but they will get it anyway only it will be on westminsters terms, tory terms and to appease the English vote and quite rightly so, if I was them id be pissed off at the prime minister making promises he cant possibly keep to Scotland too! A chance missed I think and one we may all come to regret whether you voted yes or no

Enjoy your gloat. I hope you're still here when 1.6 million of us can say "told ye".

There's no gloat here. Only exposing your bitterness. I already said what ever way it went would be a problem due to the huge numbers that didn't get what they wanted. You just look a bit silly with the "it was the big bad Rangers fans" patter.

It's no coincidence that virtually every No voter I've seen on TV over the past few days has been either elderly, or English, or both.

that channel 4 debate programme had Brian cox, alan cumming and Irvine welsh..... The yes campaign couldn't even get people with a vote to support their campaign. Oh apart from Brian soutar.....

All I was pointing out was that they are out to make a buck first and foremost and are not an infallible prediction service. The moment there was talk of No winning Clackmannanshire and Falkirk that was obviously based on rumours from people at the counts and of Alex Salmond having decided to give his local count the body swerve it was game over. At that point the drift in the odds was reflecting solid insider information.

The game was up after Peter Kellner called it. That's when the odds on No changed dramatically.

No one has said they are infallible. Where people failed was in assuming that the reason No was long odds on was a cunning ploy to attract money on it.

unless your 2 degrees are Masters in British political history your argument is invalid. How can you be such a snob?

Point being, I am educated. A degree teaches core skills and proves you are educated to a certain level. I don't shout "freedom" or paint my face, or wear 'see you Jimmy hats'. Portraying the Yes vote as uneducated is wrong.

Archived