Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who do you think said this, my "English" friend?

I have no time for those who say there is no way Scotland could go it alone. I know first-hand the contribution Scotland and Scots make to Britain's success - so for me there's no question about whether Scotland could be an independent nation.

Head in the sand. No one is saying it's can't be independent. Of Cousre it can be independent. But the picture painted by Alex Salmond is very optimistic.

Your ecconomy will contract quite badly. Show me the list of corporations asking to invest in Scotland on the event of a yes, and I will tripple it for corps that will leave.

It's awful, and has been for at least a year now.

There's no self-policing of the Yes campaign and the SNP, which allows absolute drivel to be passed off as golden nuggets.

Yeah, did you see the welcome I got? :o

Yes, I'm guessing. All seems pretty reasonable in terms of economic expectation after a yes vote. Would like to see a copy of the report/paper from Credit Suisse - just for reading, more than anything?

Why would there be a legal wrangle over north sea oil?

I'm starting to think the new message should be " vote YES to stop Labour rule ". These *uckwits are starting to really get on my *ucking nerves.

They still think they have a claim on Scottish votes. But people like me have left in their droves.

Have we had the Supermarket's responses to the cost of shopping going up under independence.

Will there be a retraction of this blatant lie sent out to 100's of thousandsgiven the 4 major Supermarkets have exposed it as rubbish?

Won't hold my breath.....they've moved on to bigger ones now.

Morrisons

Thank you for contacting us regarding the leaflet you received.

As far as we are aware the increased cost in Ireland is due to a number of factors, the major one being the higher cost of distribution. Morrisons currently have in place a full distribution network within the current UK which would remain in place in the event of a Yes Vote. The only way we could envisage an increased cost for Scotland is if the Scottish Government were to push Scotland’s land mass away from the rest of the UK and into the North Sea.

Sainsbury's

We are unaware of any plans to implement a price increase should Scotland choose to become Independent.

TESCO

I am very sorry you are getting misinforming leaflets through your door.

I can confirm that Tesco will not increase their prices by 16% if Scotland leaves the UK.

We’ve got a great business in Scotland and our job is to create the best offer for customers whatever the outcome of the referendum.

Hope this clears the confusion up!

ASDA

Thank you for contacting us regarding information you have received regarding a possible price increase within our stores pending the outcome of Scottish Independence.

I can advise you that, as an Everyday Low Cost Company we would always strive to keep our prices as low as possible for the customer. We are unaware of any plans to implement this increase as stated in the leaflet you received

But after the first year you won't be able to afford shopping much.

Head in the sand. No one is saying it's can't be independent. Of Cousre it can be independent. But the picture painted by Alex Salmond is very optimistic.

Your ecconomy will contract quite badly. Show me the list of corporations asking to invest in Scotland on the event of a yes, and I will tripple it for corps that will leave.

Of course it's optimistic, in the way the no vote has been hugely negative and patronising.

Thing is you are working on hypotheticals. For me I would rather take a hit now and have full powers than have limited powers and kowtow to Westminster rule. While the English vote for UKIP, BNP and scream about immigrants and EU legislation, I would rather not be part of that thanks. England is a toxic brand that no longer represents fair and even minded politics, I want a chance to change that.

To suggest that Scotland could not make a success of their economy is just patronising, although it's not surprising as it's the same rhetoric we've been listening to for the last 2 years.

If you are genuinely English (which you are clearly not), then I tell you to mind your own business and let the Scots go about making up their own decisions.

This whole defence fiasco stems from the fact that Scotland wants to be shot of nuclear weapons.

I find it ironic when I hear people say that the UK government should take Scotland for everything if they dare to vote yes.... but let's make sure and leave the nukes on their doorstep.

You know if the Royal Navy decided to carry on using Faslane as a base, there's not much Scotland could do about it is there?

From April, so a lot has changed since then, certainly in terms of public opinion. Seems to be heavily based on whether or not a currency union is achieved. It states that Scotlands hand is relatively strong for negotiating. It also states there is little focus on the referendum as a risk event for investors.

The negative feedback loop is something to consider, but seems reliant on rUK saying no to a currency union. There were several articles in the FT and on Bloomberg last week talking about the risk to Sterling if rUK rejects it, with anything up to a 15% drop in value should rUK not agree to a currency union.

Mark Carney is nominally against a currency union (mostly because it would make his job harder), but providing the conditions are correct it will happen. He has essentially said it will depend on the free movement of goods and services across the different parts of the currency, a banking union underpinned by common institutions such as a central bank, and elements of shared fiscal arrangements. All of these will be in place provided both sides maintain a level of sanity during negotiations.

While Credit Suisse and their opinion have to be considered, the predictions of the financial sector should not be held up as some sort of bastion of truth and certainty.

But after the first year you won't be able to afford shopping much.

Of course you'll be able to back up this ridiculous statement?

Is it the fact that we will be the 14th richest country in the world, compared to the rUK's 18th, before you factor in one drop of oil?

Or do the following mean we'll be poor? -

£1.5 trillion oil reserves

£10bn tourism industry

£17bn construction industry

25% of Europe's potential wind and tidal energy

£13bn food and drinks industry

£9.3bn chemical industry

£10bn business services industry.

We'll be considerably richer than you.

So Cameron is heading up tomorrow, and about time too that he put his head above the parapet!! the pussy footing around those who the government don’t wish to offend has been a pointless exercise.

Those who will dismiss him as a posh English Etonian twat who should keep his nose out, are already firmly entrenched in the Yes camp, he won’t win them back, leave them, to it.

but I’d like the True undecided voters to have the chance to hear what he has to say as the current Prime Minister of the UK. I’m no fan of his but surely he’s got to have a say on the future of the Union ffs, he has been badly advised keeping his council until the last minute, bollo*ks to that, let’s hear it and it had better be good!!

Salmond has had a free run against a failing Scottish Labour party who have made a complete ar*e of the No campaign, what credibility does Brown, Darling and Milliband have following their last tenure at the helm?

Your last chance Mr Cameron, make it count, if it’s a Yes next Thurs, you’ll have to pack your f*cking bags and take that sad bunch on the opposing bench with you.

Archived