Scottish Independence

xbl

Where did I say anything different?

I answered this question - Did the NHS have a unit set up and running that lost out to Weight Watchers?

The answer to that question is yes.

Has the UK exempted the NHS from the European-American trade deal ? The answer to that is question is no. Grim times ahead.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I answered this question - Did the NHS have a unit set up and running that lost out to Weight Watchers?

Fair enough. I took the question to mean did WW replace the NHS unit. I don't know whether the NHS weight management unit bid for the contract WW won but if they did then you are correct.

What an utterly stupid comment. There's always a middle ground.

Ah right.

So the SNP are actually saying "Privatisation of the NHS is a good thing.... in certain circumstances"?

Do you think this is rank hypocrisy from the SNP/Yes supporters?

FTA: Some working in weight-loss management within the NHS have criticised the move as an example of privatisation.

No names, no pack drill, just "some working..".

Good work there Eleanor, make sure that this line is 3rd in the report with official quotes from sources some way down. If journalists genuinely want to open a debate then they really need to be shown to be non-partisan.

Do you think this is rank hypocrisy from the SNP/Yes supporters?

It is hypocrisy. Yes there are different degrees of privitisation but you cannot hold a principle that says privitisation per se is wrong then excuse it when it suits you.

Personally I don't care who delivers health services as long as they meet the population's needs, within reason of course (there will always be a price on a life for planning purposes), the person accessing the service does not receive a bill and the greater good is enhanced by the delivery method. If this Weightwatchers contract is worth £150000 and the NHS were going to have costs of £200000 for providing the same service then what's wrong with saving £50000 and doing something else with it. The public are entitled to get the best value for their money.

Pasted it instead

Scottish independence:Govan closes doors to Lamont

Published: 05 September 2014

Scottish Labour leader Johann Lamont went behind enemy lines in Govan today. Picture: PA

26 comments

By ALEXANDER LERCHE

SCOTTISH Labour leader Johann Lamont got the wrong No vote today when she took to the SNP heartland -- and was met with closed doors.

The MSP for Glasgow Pollok made a behind enemy lines visit to Govan, in deputy leader Nicola Sturgeons Govan constituency, to argue the pro-Union case with voters.

But despite an army of Labour supporters knocking doors, only three residents engaged in conversation with her - while several even came outside to return the leaflets pushed through their letter boxes.

Get the latest referendum news, opinion and analysis from across Scotland and beyond on our new Scottish Independence website

The weak response from SNP voters got worse when a pensioner refused to even discuss with Lamont how she would be voting on the 18th.

But Lamont later insisted it had been a successful exercise and not a waste of her time.

She said: Im very positive about the response that we got. Its reflected the response that weve got across the country in Labour areas.

Labour people are committing to vote No whilst the SNPs supporters are committing to vote No as well, because they recognise they can get the benefits of devolution.

But she claimed she did not see the local residents only come outside to give back the Labour leaflets.

She said: Well I didnt see that.

Everywhere you go youre going to have some people who are not going to be happy to see you, but right across the country Im getting a very warm response on the doors because people know that for us this is not about what our party is saying, its whats in the best interest of the people of Scotland.

The Scottish Labour leader also said she was not concerned about an increasing number of women Labour voters apparently moving towards independence.

She said: Its not what Im finding on the doors. I think particularly women are recognising that actually you wouldnt put your familys future at risk.

Theyd be expected to deal with a £6 billion black hole from day one and we know thats a real problem and women recognise that.

Archived