Scottish Independence

xbl

I didn't say I commented on the picture, champ. I said I didn't comment on a stereotype. Because, as you'll observe, H_B's post wasn't a stereotype.

Here to help, HNDParp.

Dear god, H_B decried a stereotype, you joined in like the hypocritical arsehole you are. Do try and get over yourself, Libby.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear god, H_B decried a stereotype, you joined in like the hypocritical arsehole you are. Do try and get over yourself, Libby.

Nope. H_B criticised a misrepresentation of the reality of life in the UAE. Not a stereotype of a nation or its people. The last time I checked, no one was stereotyping the Arab Emirates and their citizens as phallus-shaped towers of economic glory.

Ooft, bit of a nightmare for Adlib here.

He doesn't find a picture of a Scottish jakeball lying pished in the street as a representation of his own country offensive, yet feigns mawkish horror on behalf of the poor of the UAE.

Deary me.

Ooft, bit of a nightmare for Adlib here.

He doesn't find a picture of a Scottish jakeball lying pished in the street as a representation of his own country offensive, yet feigns mawkish horror on behalf of the poor of the UAE.

Deary me.

Skipping over the neglect of its poor by one of the world's more authoritarian and undemocratic regimes to try to make a point about the application of oil wealth to UK development is probably a bit more worthy of criticism than a not very funny but largely harmless cartoon in The Daily Express of a man in a kilt with a couple of cans next to him asking the Governor of the Bank of England to "Share the pound, guv?"

Skipping over the neglect of its poor by one of the world's more authoritarian and undemocratic regimes to try to make a point about the application of oil wealth to UK development is probably a bit more worthy of criticism than a not very funny but largely harmless cartoon in The Daily Express of a man in a kilt with a couple of cans next to him asking the Governor of the Bank of England to "Share the pound, guv?"

I don't think anyone is "skipping over neglect", do you? Really?

I don't think anyone is "skipping over neglect", do you? Really?

They are when they put up an image of Abu Dhabi and Dubai as being some sort of utopian city of skyscrapers while presenting Scotland's largest city with an image of a dilapidated council estate in Easterhouse.

Nope. H_B criticised a misrepresentation of the reality of life in the UAE. Not a stereotype of a nation or its people. The last time I checked, no one was stereotyping the Arab Emirates and their citizens as phallus-shaped towers of economic glory.

As ever, Libby thinks pedantry is a substitute for the truth. Ah well.

They are when they put up an image of Abu Dhabi and Dubai as being some sort of utopian city of skyscrapers while presenting Scotland's largest city with an image of a dilapidated council estate in Easterhouse.

Geography not your strong point then? Abu Dhabi and Dubai are not the same place, the image was specifically of Dubai.

Geography not your strong point then? Abu Dhabi and Dubai are not the same place, the image was specifically of Dubai.

I think you'll find I wasn't talking about the photograph embedded in the image. I was talking about the image itself.

Lesley Riddoch coming across pretty well on Newsnight, compared to her showing in QT last time round.

Anyone else can't stand the smug Alex Massie?

I had a wee chuckle when Riddoch mentioned pomposity not being seen in a positive light in Scotland, they could only go straight to Massie.

Has Reynard just given up on P&B? He's busy on twitter these days

“@TheZephyrus1969: UKIP wants independence. SNP want to cherry pick sovereignty and it's a clueless mess.”

Has Reynard just given up on P&B? He's busy on twitter these days

“@TheZephyrus1969: UKIP wants independence. SNP want to cherry pick sovereignty and it's a clueless mess.”

He wasn't proving to be very sharp on here whenever the economy was discussed, he'll be talking to his "pals " on Twitter.

Archived