Scottish Independence

xbl

The UK is a great place to live. We are very fortunate to live in a rich First World country.

From Robin McAlpine;

Britain is the country with the second lowest pay among advanced economies. Since 2010

British wages have fallen faster than all but three other EU countries – even though we work the

third longest hours. Britain has the third highest housing costs in Europe, the highest rail prices in Europe and is second worst for fuel poverty. Britain has the least happy children in the developed world, the worst infant mortality rates in Europe and some of the worst child poverty in the industrialised world. Britain’s elderly are the fourth poorest in the EU. Britain has the eighth biggest gap between men and women’s pay in Europe with childcare costs much higher than most European countries. Britain is the fourth most unequal developed society with a wealth gap twice as wide as any other EU country. Britain has the greatest regional inequality in Europe. Britain has the lowest level of trust in its politicians in Europe. Britain’s productivity is 16 per cent behind the average of advanced economies and has the worst record on industrial production.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things are fine for me and my friends and family though. As I've stated on another thread too I'm equally happy sharing Scotland's wealth between Nairn or Newcastle. I draw no distinction between people from either place.

At the moment it may be the case. However you are willing to gamble that it will remain fine in a union. I am willing to gamble that things will be better under Independence. In all honesty Independence will come a bit too late for me, but I am voting YES for my children.

I don't. Enlighten me please.

Does the wealth not get shared across the UK?

From the horses mouth

You obviously don't understand the difference between sharing wealth and giving it away. Sharing implies we get something in return that we wouldn't if indy.

At the moment it may be the case. However you are willing to gamble that it will remain fine in a union. I am willing to gamble that things will be better under Independence. In all honesty Independence will come a bit too late for me, but I am voting YES for my children.

A completely sensible and rational post. I've got no issue with that what so ever. We probably want similar things for our family but just disagree on what way is best to achieve that. This is the very essence of the debate but sometimes on here you get vilified for having the audacity to be a no voter.

A completely sensible and rational post. I've got no issue with that what so ever. We probably want similar things for our family but just disagree on what way is best to achieve that. This is the very essence of the debate but sometimes on here you get vilified for having the audacity to be a no voter.

Don't be silly, it's an online forum, everybody gets villified.

From the horses mouth

You obviously don't understand the difference between sharing wealth and giving it away. Sharing implies we get something in return that we wouldn't if indy.

Clearly I don't like his view on that. I agree with you here. Hadn't ever seen that before.

Don't be silly, it's an online forum, everybody gets villified.

Which is fair enough but very few acknowledge that there is any merit in what a no voter believes. As it stands just now the majority of decided voters are in the no camp so the question is why so some ignore these views so vigorously?

But London is in his country? And mine.

Bless, the rare sight of an endangered British nationalist. Unfortunately 60 years of history and systematic losses of territory have condemned them to near-extinction from the wild.

Hopefully they'll be preserved for future generations to point and laugh at.

Archived