Scottish Independence

xbl

That's just not true. I have said on a number of occasions I have no interest in how other people wish to vote. And I have no interest in "converting" Yes or DK people to No.

It's absolutely up to people individually how they want to vote. What I object to are downright lies and misinformation from the Yes voters on here, and more particularly from the SNP.

It's why Ad Lib and I are in pretty much agreement on everything despite voting in completely different ways on the topic. Being correct isn't about being a Yes or a No voter. It's about correcting lies and untruths. Plenty of people to do that for those made by BT and the No campaigners. But very few who have anything other than uncritical rapture towards the SNP and the Yes campaign, even when they lie.

Something you would know about,eh champ??

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a very good job. Which is why I get paid well for messing about on the internet all day.

Haha good to hear mate, me too, although not on hear anywhere near as much as yourself :lol:

If you are half as good at your job as you are posting provocative comments on here you're laughing!! :lol:;)

That's just not true. I have said on a number of occasions I have no interest in how other people wish to vote. And I have no interest in "converting" Yes or DK people to No.

It's absolutely up to people individually how they want to vote. What I object to are downright lies and misinformation from the Yes voters on here, and more particularly from the SNP.

It's why Ad Lib and I are in pretty much agreement on everything despite voting in completely different ways on the topic. Being correct isn't about being a Yes or a No voter. It's about correcting lies and untruths. Plenty of people to do that for those made by BT and the No campaigners. But very few who have anything other than uncritical rapture towards the SNP and the Yes campaign, even when they lie.

Im sorry but there is no way Ad Lib is a yes voter. And to be honest I see it completely the opposite way around aswell from what you are saying.... Sure I am not the only one.

Haha good to hear mate, me too, although not on hear anywhere near as much as yourself :lol:

If you are half as good at your job as you are posting provocative comments on here you're laughing!! :lol:;)

I found that becoming a manager increased greatly the amount of time I have free :P

Im finding it quite tedious at the moment - i am a natural yes sayer to independence but i have my doubts now over the obvious issues of currency, the EU and the oil and gas supplies that will run out perhaps even in our life time. The yes campaign seem to promise us the world without properly backing their claims up and leaving the most important raised questions unanswered but then on the other hand the better together campaign fail to tell us why our futures will be better if we stay with the UK they are more into scaring us as to why we shouldn't vote yes.

Im finding it quite tedious at the moment - i am a natural yes sayer to independence but i have my doubts now over the obvious issues of currency, the EU and the oil and gas supplies that will run out perhaps even in our life time. The yes campaign seem to promise us the world without properly backing their claims up and leaving the most important raised questions unanswered but then on the other hand the better together campaign fail to tell us why our futures will be better if we stay with the UK they are more into scaring us as to why we shouldn't vote yes.

Just taking this one for the moment, the oil and gas will run out, regardless of constitutional settlement, and it'll hurt the Scottish and particularly north east economy when it does equally, regardless of constitutional settlement. In that case it's really a question - for me at least - of how you manage that decline, and how you keep it economic for as long as you can and how you replace it. Better together like to say that the larger UK economy means that an oil decline will be better insulated within the Union, but this is a simplistic view focussed only on the bottom line. It's true that, as a smaller share of the UK economy, the dent caused by oil delcine will not show up on the GDP as badly, but that also means that politicians are less likely to see it as an issue that needs fixed. An upturn in City of London performance might shield the UK economy as a whole, but that's going to be of little comfort to the local economies reliant on oil extraction and their supply chains. In that instance, then, I'm more inclined to want a government that is more aware of the risks of oil decline on the scottish economy - to have more skin in the game if you like. That's why I'd rather have a fully empowered Holyrood looking after it than Westminster: Holyrood is more likely to understand the consequences of oil decline, more likely to do something to alleviate it and to help the local economy.

i suppose theres no simple answer really renton! Renewable energy potential is one of my reasons for tending towards yes as its a career path i would be interested in taking! Although I'm not sure for me personally it would be better if we were independent or not as renewables are going to be the way forward for years to come

i suppose theres no simple answer really renton! Renewable energy potential is one of my reasons for tending towards yes as its a career path i would be interested in taking! Although I'm not sure for me personally it would be better if we were independent or not as renewables are going to be the way forward for years to come

The push towards renewables is a hell of a progressive thing, socially and culturally - it's also a fantastic technical challenge, which as an engineer (though not in that sector) you can't help but be excited by. Again, it's a question of priorities - renewables are a huge thing for Scotland, less so for the UK as a whole - who is more likely to agressively push their implementation.

The push towards renewables is a hell of a progressive thing, socially and culturally - it's also a fantastic technical challenge, which as an engineer (though not in that sector) you can't help but be excited by. Again, it's a question of priorities - renewables are a huge thing for Scotland, less so for the UK as a whole - who is more likely to agressively push their implementation.

Definitely - wind power especially north and west will continue to expand - if you build offshore wind farms around shetland and in the minch area over the next few years you have one hell of a lot of energy there. The main things slowing it down funnily enough is the incomers into these communities who are more than often English, contribute nothing to the community but complain that these farms will make ruin the landscape when in reality they look pretty natural.

Wave power isn't quite there yet and needs more time but will be contributing greatly in years to come. Solar power too is under pretty under rated

I'm not sure it's entirely true to say that the UK doesn't take renewables seriously. 6 of the 10 largest offshore windfarms in the world are in England, and the biggest is in the Thames estuary.

Not seriously - just not as seriously. Those offshore test sites are also actually quite small in comparison with the stage 3 sites being planned in Scotland and in any case renewables makes up a smaller part of an energy mix that the UK has decided, will push nuclear front and centre. Again, it's just a question of priorities.

Of course you wouldn't think of doing such things..... Central Bank of Scotland anyone?

You shouldn't really be shot down for any of that. It's your opinion and that's it. You are entitled to those views and many would agree. The only thing I sometimes find is that No voters seem to be accused of being wrong for voting no as if they are in some way blind to the paradise that awaits. One fact that is certain in all of this is that people are going to disagree and no one should have a problem with that. I'll be really disappointed if there is a yes vote but I will certainly respect the right of the voters who made it.

It might not be paradise, but does the opportunity of a better society not entice you? Westminster is a cesspit of self-interest, sadly it isn't going to get better. I would rather there was a shift in UK politics and we could stay as one. That just won't be happening. Just how much does Westminster need to shaft the taxpayer before people sit up and take notice. They are absolutely ripping it right now. I cannot understand why people would prefer to remain under those conditions.

I would be interested in thoughts of positivity and moving forward, regards a No vote, and how Scotland will be treated by Westminster?

Just how much does Westminster need to shaft the taxpayer before people sit up and take notice. They are absolutely ripping it right now. I cannot understand why people would prefer to remain under those conditions.

A thousand times this. I cannot fathom how anyone can be happy at how the Conlibs are treating the average person right now.

No one is guaranteeing independence will be the land of milk and honey, but at least we'll have a CHANCE to create a fairer, happier society, instead of being pissed on by born millionaires that have never known a day's struggle in their lives.

A thousand times this. I cannot fathom how anyone can be happy at how the Conlibs are treating the average person right now.

No one is guaranteeing independence will be the land of milk and honey, but at least we'll have a CHANCE to create a fairer, happier society, instead of being pissed on by born millionaires that have never known a day's struggle in their lives.

Whether anyone is happy with the conlibs or not doesn't really matter. The chances are they'll both be gone next year, while independence is forever. Maybe things would be better but I think there's an equal chance they would be worse and that's not a gamble I am personally willing to take.

Archived