Scottish Independence

xbl

It did extinguish itself as a matter of international law. When the Scottish Parliament ratified the Treaty of Union 1706 with the Union with England Act, it gave effect to a provision which clearly stated that:

The Kingdom of Scotland is no more. It case ceased to be. It is bereft of life. It rests in peace. It is an ex Kingdom. International law gives zero fucks for it because it is dead.

And? Why do you keep banging away at this as if it has ANY bearing on our future as a newly Independent (but currently recognised) country?

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh.

Where to begin. Scotland has no international legal personality. It cannot therefore withdraw from say the United Nations, or the EU. Because it isn't a member. Only the UK can do these things.

That doesn't mean that Scotland cannot secede from the UK. Or Quebec from Canada.

Regardless of YOUR interpretation. Scotland will become INDEPENDENT. It will celebrate INDEPENDENCE day and the world will acknowledge Scottish INDEPENDENCE.

As your hero AdLib (who I see has, almost miraculously, reappeared just as your on the backfoot.....again) is fond of saying.........deal with it.

Oh dear, desperate stuff. Lets face it, it followed exactly what myself and other independence supporters predicted. There is a clear movement from No, to Undecided, and then to Yes, without any equivalent movement the other way. The No side is losing people hand over fist, and we've seen they can't even put up people to speak in debates any more. The odds are being cut, the polls are closing in, and everything is progressing nicely. It must be tearing the Unionists apart. :D

But, but, but.......international law!......currency.......spain wont let you.......em....em....World War Two!!!!

Polls by company looking as far back as I can find records for post the SNP election victory compared with their most recent poll.

Latest Ipsos Mori Poll (5th December 2013):

34/57/10

Ipsos Mori (January 2012):

39/50/11

Net loss in momentum for Yes and net gain for No.

TNS latest poll (27th November 2013):

26/42/32

TNS poll (February 2013)

33/52/15

Net losses for both campaigns and a huge net gain for undecideds.

Panelbase poll (20th November 2013)

38/47/15

Panelbase poll (February 2012)

37/42/21

Margin of error net gain for Yes, beyond margin of error net gain for No, net loss of undecideds.

YouGov poll (9th December 2013)

33/52/13/2

YouGov poll (October 2012)

29/55/14/2

Outside of margin of error gain for Yes (to a 19 point gap). No outside of error changes for Don't Knows and Won't Votes.

Angus Reid poll (16th August 2013)

34/47/17/2

Angus Reid poll (January 2013)

32/50/16/3

Within margin of error increase in Yes vote, on edge margin of error drop in the No vote, within margin of error fluctuation of Don't Knows/Won't Vote.

What does this tell us?

1. There is no obvious significant shift in either direction in the polls

2. Nor is there a significant shift to increase the Don't Know vote over the piece.

3. No remain consistently ahead.

4. The polls showing the biggest swing in favour of either Yes or Don't Know (i.e. away from No) are those which started out with the biggest gap

5. The polls showing the smallest gap between Yes and No have shifted the least and in some cases even (within the margin of error) in favour of the No campaign.

The narrative of momentum is bunk.

But Scotland isnt a "territory". It's a country.

The term "country" has literally no meaning in international law terms.

The Basque region is referred to as a country by many people. That means absolutely nothing.

There really is no beginning to your knowledge. And no end to your willingness to humiliate yourself.

Regardless of YOUR interpretation. Scotland will become INDEPENDENT. It will celebrate INDEPENDENCE day and the world will acknowledge Scottish INDEPENDENCE.

As your hero AdLib (who I see has, almost miraculously, reappeared just as your on the backfoot.....again) is fond of saying.........deal with it.

Uh huh. All of which means absolutely nothing in relation to the fact Scotland is seeking to secede from the UK. Actually, to be more correct, the referendum is the Scottish government seeking a mandate from the people of Scotland to secede from the UK.

Again, all we've learned here really is that you are tireless in your drive to look foolish.

But Scotland isnt a "territory". It's a country. And as an Independent one will be both subject to and a participant of International law. Whats so hard to grasp about this?

Scotland is a territory. Being a territory and being a country isn't mutually incompatible. And actually it's not necessary or sufficient to "be a country" to have separate international legal personality. Which Scotland lacks. That's what the independence vote is fucking about! Whether we should assume separate international legal personality from the UK.

And? Why do you keep banging away at this as if it has ANY bearing on our future as a newly Independent (but currently recognised) country?

I like to correct wrong people.

I have been in a place with no phone signal for 2 days near Oban and had only very brief WiFi access last night.

Independence in the international legal context is exactly the same thing as secession from a sovereign state in the same said context. They are quite literally the same thing.

Sigh. The long posts are back again...

Think I'll retire for the night.

Just skip them. You know its mostly made up interpretationist stuff anyway. It usually precedes a hostage situation or a possible threat of nuking a thread. Might be worth staying up for.........on second thoughts, think ill just rent Man of Steel on Virgin.

Just to be clear (I know Reynard, H-B, and His hero AdLib LOVE that phrase....the one they and all Tory politicians since 1997 stole from Tony Blair) "Man of Steel" is NOT a documentary about David Cameron nor is it a sequel to the Iron Lady.

Just skip them. You know its mostly made up interpretationist stuff anyway.

Well, to be correct, most of your stuff is hackneyed and copied from websites that can't spell and think the height of graphical sophistication was the ZX Spectrum.

You haven't even got the decency to reference the stuff you are copying.

The term "country" has literally no meaning in international law terms.

Utter drivel. am genuinely embarrassed for you.

As you can see there is more than one way to define a country in international law. The problem is which one do you use.

http://www.geography-site.co.uk/pages/countries/country_definition.html

You dont want to use any. Typical of you to twist and alter facts to suit your narrow agenda.

Well, to be correct, most of your stuff is hackneyed and copied from websites that can't spell and think the height of graphical sophistication was the ZX Spectrum.

You haven't even got the decency to reference the stuff you are copying.

And here come the personal attacks. Always the way with you guys.

As you can see there is more than one way to define a country in international law. The problem is which one do you use.

You dont want to use any. Typical of you to twist and alter facts to suit your narrow agenda.

He got so utterly crushed on this issue earlier this year that he stopped posting for a week. Nice to see he's doing a Reynard. I wonder if Ad Lib vomits a little bit in his mouth when he finds himself having to slavishly defend HB so much.

Oooft... cringing for you.

Please find me an international law definition of the word "country". You may have noticed they use the "s" word a lot - hint : not the "s" word that springs to mind when reading your posts.

Famous movie....who could forget the Blockbuster "Secession Day"

Absolutely. Perhaps one of the law squad could remind us all how many country celebrate "Independence Day", and how many celebrate "Secession Day"? Are the numbers similar? Because the law squad love numbers. Except for numbers that make independence look good.

Oooft... cringing for you.

Please find me an international law definition of the word "country". You may have noticed they use the "s" word a lot - hint : not the "s" word that springs to mind when reading your posts.

Are you this dishonest in your every day life? You got schooled on this months back.

Archived