Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/8463-bbc-admits-parts-of-academics-interview-removed-but-denies-misleading-viewers

The bbc have admitted editing an interview to make it sound more negative for Scotland. Who would have thought it?

Are you surprised?

I think that it's natural for the establishment to campaign for its own continuation.

I agree with this, it's totally natural for them to be doing this, however it should be put out with a notice of it being opinion rather than down right twisting of facts.

The point XBL makes is true also, they are a publically accountable body. They should represent both sides of the argument in an equal and honest manner.

Lies. In terms of relative voting power, the "wee skooshy countries" have relatively more power than the UK.

^^ Extracting one of the good things and presenting it as the definitive answer, in a Reynardesque manner.

Is this your latest mantra?

Its as pish and weak as all the rest you attempt.

Yes, Calling a spade a spade is kind of how I do things. Liar now how about your easy 30/40 years source?

Its actually part of a long series of telegraph and unionist articles. For mobths now, the telegraph has been imploring businesses to speak out. Liberal Democrat Alistair Carmichael has been begging the same thing. At first they were asking for more business people to speak out, then they wete begging, and of late, they've "decided" that people would speak out...but they're too scared of ruthless dictator Alex Salmond.

Its the same with the civil service. They have no problem with Westminster using civil servants to advance their unionist agenda, but for literally years, they have been calling for the Scottish branch of the civil service to be called to heel. I believe there was an article on it last week too.

It started off as a plea for people to get involved (civil servants, businesses), but that has failed. Instead, it has become an attempt to paint Alex Salmond as a ruthless dictator that must be stopped by any means necessary. This is supported by the telegraphs scottish editor using terms such as "dear leader" to describe Salmond.

Or at least, thats my reasoning.

'Oh no! It's the Daily Telegraph!' says Scotland
17-01-12

SCOTLAND was last night fleeing in terror after a surprise attack from the first battalion of Her Majesty’s Daily Telegraph.

shelter250.jpg

Yon Telegraph shelters are awfy handy like

The newspaper launched an all-out assault on the tiny northern country-ish with repeated salvos of debt-ridden commentary and a devastating air strike about the Euro or something.

Communities across Scotland dived into Telegraph shelters, huddling together as the newspaper’s air force bombarded them with made-up facts about oil revenues and why Alex Salmond wants to pelt the Duchess of Cambridge with ‘neeps’.

Bill McKay, a rebel from Carnoustie, said: “Ah hud a squatch at the Telegraph websitey aroon ten o’ the clack.

“Within meenits the sirens were blairin’ like a hoolie.

“Even inside the shelter ah could hear the terrifyin’ soond o’ some fat, baldin’ English journalist sayin’, ‘you’ll be exactly the same as Zimbabwe!’.

“Ah don’t mind tellin’ ye, ah fair shat mahsel.”

Meanwhile, as at least seven heavily kilted weirdos launched a counter-attack near a ‘burn’, Captain Peter Oborne of the Queen’s Light Telegraph shouted ‘Princess Anne!’ before collapsing into a hedge and urinating involuntarily.

Under the Geneva Convention any Scottish person that captures him will have to call him a taxi.

Courtesy of the Daily Mash. Quite apt don't you think

Oh, where to start with that. Good to see them still peddling the utter shite about the supermarkets too :blink:

The part that pisses me off is the "business doesn't like uncertainty", it's always used, yes it's true but I don't remember them running for the hills in 2008, they knuckled down and got on with it, do they honestly think independence is going to be any worse than 2008 or Mr Lamont firing interests through the roof under Mrs T.

Do they think that an entrepreneur won't fill the void if they were to carry out their heavily disguised threat to take their business and piss off.

A few interesting paragraphs from someone about Black Wednesday:

At 11am on September 16, we all knew something was up when the Bank of England increased interest rates from 10 to 12 per cent. This was the era before 24-hour TV news or the internet – goodness knows what would have happened had the crisis been played out today. Riots in the streets, probably. Our source of information was positively antediluvian: Teletext, which we watched with mounting incredulity, as interest rates then went up to 15 per cent without making any impact on the pound’s value.

For me and millions of others, this was a potential disaster. I had just taken out a mortgage and was stretched to the limit even at a 10 per cent repayment rate. Seen from this standpoint, the government’s actions that day, which included squandering £3.4 billion (a lot of money in those days) trying to prop up the currency, bordered on the insane. But if we felt powerless, we were not alone. Lamont spent the morning glued to the Reuters screen in his office, to see what happened to the pound when interest rates went up. Nothing. At that point, the chancellor said later, he knew it was over, though that did not stop him scaring the living daylights out of us with a further interest rate hike in the afternoon.

For the country, though, it was a release. Britain was in control of its monetary policy once more; the pound was devalued, helping to pull the economy out of recession and heralding a period of growth that lasted until the credit crunch in 2008. It was not such a black Wednesday after all.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-25402787

Dont know why they are bothering. Helen (H_B) and his hero the hostage taking and thread wrecking adlib claim they already have all the answers.

Good. Anything that can clear this up one way or another is fine by me.

Although I'm starting to find it bizarre that BT are using this as an argument AGAINST independence when most of them probably want the UK out of Europe anyway.

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/good-morning-scotland-wake-up-to-the-opportunities-of-independence/

That article get's a mention in the latest Gordon McIntyre Kemp entry on the Business for Scotland Website.

Tory commentator Iain Martin of the Daily Telegraphy and Iain McMillan of the CBI, which doesn’t represent its membership on the constitutional question, desperately suggest this is because business is “scared of Alex Salmond”.

What strikes me most is the accusation that The head of the CBI doesn't speak for its members. That's another large and influential body that this accusation has been thrown at after the GMB.

:lol:

@GeorgeFoulkes: John Major tells our Select Committee that it would take at least 10 years for a separate Scotland to get back into EU

That's good, the more ridiculous the better.

FTR, I'll wait 10 years if that's what it takes, rather 10 years for that as a lifetime of what's coming in the UK.

Archived