Scottish Independence

xbl

Because the paper has more holes than a block of Swiss cheese and doesn't address the fundamental issues in any reasonable manner. The press conference merely highlighted the major flaws.

You are a quick reader.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the paper has more holes than a block of Swiss cheese and doesn't address the fundamental issues in any reasonable manner. The press conference merely highlighted the major flaws.

What holes?

What fundamental issues does it not address?

The press conference highlighted nothing more than that Salmond and Sturgeon were comfortable answering all the questions.

You've already read it all?

Thought not.

Only a tinted specked numbnuts would think that didn't go well, regardless of who I decide to vote for the pair of them came across very well, much better than the usual say a lot and explain nothing we get surrounding UK politics.

How they "came across" isn't what I'm concerned with. I prefer to look at the detail of what is said rather than admiring Alex Salmond's choice of attire.

Only reason I'm here and willing to dip my toe into the debate on here now is that it's being divvied up into threads that can be followed, so won't as easily get lost in petty squabling.

For the record, my general stance is "no is my starting point, but please convince me otherwise". As I believe everyone should be. If we're not substantially worse off, then it'll be a yes from me. It's beginning to look more and more like a yes from me.

The reason I use the word substantially is that for me, it's firstly all about if it makes financial sense then secondly if it doesn't, but we're not substantially worse off, then I would take this as our best ever opportunity of government reform and that Scots deciding Scottish matters would be the best way forward.

So, I'm still a no (I obviously haven't read the entire report), but I'm getting nearer a yes.

That was a genuine laugh out loud moment.

XBL- get on with it and Div, for fairness, can we have Swampy back? I'm clueless to the ban, but he's generally sensible.

I would probably agree on Swampy's return, his contribution would enhance the discussions on the white paper so long as he manages to steer clear of his fondness for dipping into tedious mode.

Any particular points you take issue with? What are your examples of these 'holes'?

How they "came across" isn't what I'm concerned with. I prefer to look at the detail of what is said rather than admiring Alex Salmond's choice of attire.

It was you that started it.

Give us the details you disliked.

Only reason I'm here and willing to dip my toe into the debate on here now is that it's being divvied up into threads that can be followed, so won't as easily get lost in petty squabling.

For the record, my general stance is "no is my starting point, but please convince me otherwise". As I believe everyone should be. If we're not substantially worse off, then it'll be a yes from me. It's beginning to look more and more like a yes from me.

The reason I use the word substantially is that for me, it's firstly all about if it makes financial sense then secondly if it doesn't, but we're not substantially worse off, then I would take this as our best ever opportunity of government reform and that Scots deciding Scottish matters would be the best way forward.

So, I'm still a no (I obviously haven't read the entire report), but I'm getting nearer a yes.

Not to be presumptuous but sounds like you will be a Yes the day you tick the box.

Nice one.

That was a genuine laugh out loud moment.

XBL- get on with it and Div, for fairness, can we have Swampy back? I'm clueless to the ban, but he's generally sensible.

Swampy hasn't been banned ?

It really depends on the facts and figures. But I'm nearing the tipping point.

I'm teetering myself, don't know why but that conference filled me confidence and enthusiasm, makes a change from the usual turgid same old same old feeling I get when I listen to politicians.

I'm teetering myself, don't know why but that conference filled me confidence and enthusiasm, makes a change from the usual turgid same old same old feeling I get when I listen to politicians.

Haven't seen it yet as I'm at work, but will give it a look later. Had a quick scan through the White Document, and while it's missing a number of important things from my perspective, (CTRL+F can help you look for bits that pique your interest) I never really expected them to be in there. The things I'm referring to would be more party manifesto specific anyway I'd assume.

barrysnotter pretending to have read a 600+ page document in 2 hours :lol:

I think his general direction has been to criticise the paper, be asked why he takes issue with it, and then he scrambles for a point from the paper that he can try and whittle some negative pish out of. It would certainly explain his 'make a point and run away' tactic.

Any particular points you take issue with? What are your examples of these 'holes'?

Let's start with currency. 100% reliant on the UK accepting a currency union on Salmond's terms. No real acknowledgement of the risk involved and no alternative.

That is one hell of a big hole.

Archived