NFL Draft 2014 Thread

Sloop John B

R.e Teddy: I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. I mentioned watching Manziels Gruden QB camp the other night, I watched what I could find from Bridgewater's last night and every bit of his game feels like an Alex Smith clone. Might do well in the right landing spot but I dont think any of the top 5 teams are looking for that type of guy. If he ends up behind a bad line and takes a beating I'm not sure he could recover. If he goes to a good team with solid weapons, good protection and a half decent run game then I'd be more comfortable with him. I reckon if Cleveland can snag Watkins or Evans with #4 then go back and get Bridgewater at #26 that would work out well for them

Thing is, Teddy's pocket presence excellent and he does very well against the blitz. It's like you've copied and pasted an analysis of AJ McCarron, except for the fact that there are no circumstances where McCarron can be mildly successful in the NFL.

No way Bridgewater falls out the top 10. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Jets will take a WR in the 1st surely

Not so sure. OBJ could go to a couple of teams ahead of us (Steelers are a wildcard IMO) and I think we'll be approaching the draft going BPA. Worked out last year with Sheldon Richardson despite DT/DE being a long way down the list of priorities.

I'd prefer if we took a WR though. Would be happy with Watkins, Evans, OBJ or A-Rob(inson) at 18.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah McCarron has never been Alex Smith like. Bear in mind Smith was good enough to be considered a number one pick at the time, didnt really come off as a game manager in college as far as I know. Bridgewater is a much closer comparison to him than McCarron is

Nah McCarron has never been Alex Smith like. Bear in mind Smith was good enough to be considered a number one pick at the time, didnt really come off as a game manager in college as far as I know. Bridgewater is a much closer comparison to him than McCarron is

I was taking the piss to try and show that Teddy B is nothing like what you detailed.

Bridgewater had a completion percentage of 71%, best among all QBs who were studied by ESPN Stats & Info. His average pass traveled 9.5 yards, a number that suggests he’s more than just an underneath passer.

His 71% completion percentage stayed exactly there, at 71%, against the blitz. He threw 15 TDs and one INT against the blitz, evidence that he’s great at pre-snap reads. His 53.5% completion percentage under pressure was second best among the QBs in the study. His TD-to-INT ratio in the red zone was 17-to-0. He converted 52.3% of his third down passes for first downs, the second highest percentage in the QB group.

In their last 2 years as starters Bridgewater holds a fair margin over Smith stats wise, on average about 700 yards and 5 touchdowns a season, Bridgewaters passing numbers were higher although Smith was clearly more mobile and had much higher rushing totals. Taking into account the transition to a more pass heavy style of play in football in the 9 years since Alex Smith was drafted I'd say the numbers were comparable, Bridgewater just edging it.

My comparison was more about how they appear to read the game vs what they can actually do. Both seem to be willing to take the adventurous route and try to make a big play but sometimes might lack the confidence to make it happen and go for a short safe option instead. There's nothing wrong with that, just means he's not the Andrew Luck/RG3-type guy you're making him out as.

I think confidence or shyness or whatever you want to call it could be Teddy's stumbling block. If he can walk into an NFL locker room and act like the boss day 1 then he should do fine, if not then I dont know how his team mates will be able to trust him to go out and take charge of a game when they need him to

Teddy has a better understanding of pre snap reads and manoeuvring the pocket than Smith. He can find where the blitz is coming from and attack it with anticipation and NFL calibre throws. That's the kind of traits that translate well into the NFL. Peyton Manning has concrete blocks on the end of his legs and an aging arm, but his pre snap prowess and anticipation are second to none which makes him one of the best QB's in the NFL at the tender age of 63.

Teddy has a better understanding of pre snap reads and manoeuvring the pocket than Smith. He can find where the blitz is coming from and attack it with anticipation and NFL calibre throws. That's the kind of traits that translate well into the NFL. Peyton Manning has concrete blocks on the end of his legs and an aging arm, but his pre snap prowess and anticipation are second to none which makes him one of the best QB's in the NFL at the tender age of 63.

:lol:

I actually disagree, I think Alex Smith reads defences very well, it was one of the only things I thought he done well in SF. I'm pretty burst though, I dont think I can do the fanboy debate thing anymore tonight :( I might come back to it tomorrow, someone else can take over for a bit :P

Like, presumably most, I haven't been following this long back and forth but are you talking about Alex Smith here?

Are you seriously saying a professional player with near a decade of experience is less adept at reading a defense at the line of scrimmage than Teddy Bridgewater?

I appreciate you like TB a lot - and I do too - but talk about overstating things. Give the lad a chance to come in and make his mistakes and grow over time.

Like, presumably most, I haven't been following this long back and forth but are you talking about Alex Smith here?

Are you seriously saying a professional player with near a decade of experience is less adept at reading a defense at the line of scrimmage than Teddy Bridgewater?

I appreciate you like TB a lot - and I do too - but talk about overstating things. Give the lad a chance to come in and make his mistakes and grow over time.

Clearly he isn't better at reading NFL Defenses because he hasn't played against one yet. At this stage in his development, Teddy is much further along than Alex Smith was. Smith still needs a strong run game to be successful but I believe Teddy doesn't (obviously it helps).

I may be slightly over compensating because of the ridiculous notion that not only will he fall out the top 10, but he will fall put the first round altogether. In the last 2 days alone, I've argued with 3 people who said that the Browns should pass on QB at 4 and take Teddy at 26 like its a nailed on fact he'll be available. It's utter madness.

Clearly he isn't better at reading NFL Defenses because he hasn't played against one yet. At this stage in his development, Teddy is much further along than Alex Smith was. Smith still needs a strong run game to be successful but I believe Teddy doesn't (obviously it helps).

I may be slightly over compensating because of the ridiculous notion that not only will he fall out the top 10, but he will fall put the first round altogether. In the last 2 days alone, I've argued with 3 people who said that the Browns should pass on QB at 4 and take Teddy at 26 like its a nailed on fact he'll be available. It's utter madness.

As you've mentioned Alex Smith I notice that the Chiefs haven't yet signed him to a long term deal........QB to be picked in the draft then?

They don't have a 2nd this year so it will need to be in the 3rd or later as I doubt they'd take one in the 1st. Andy Reid has a knack for turning backup QB's into money though so it's a good shout (AJ Feely and Kevin Kolb).

They don't have a 2nd this year so it will need to be in the 3rd or later as I doubt they'd take one in the 1st. Andy Reid has a knack for turning backup QB's into money though so it's a good shout (AJ Feely and Kevin Kolb).

This Garrapolo (sp?) could drop to the 3rd. Seems highly touted tho he has been playing sub standard opposition at Eastern Illinois. There is also the lad Savage out of Pittsburgh

This Garrapolo (sp?) could drop to the 3rd. Seems highly touted tho he has been playing sub standard opposition at Eastern Illinois. There is also the lad Savage out of Pittsburgh

I don't like Garrappolo because of the same reason I dislike AJ McCarron - can't deal with pressure. Not seen much of Savage but he was touted as a late first rounder at some point. Again, didn't see much of him, but didn't impress me that much. I have no idea what will happen at QB this year.

David Fales. I really like him. Insanely accurate on short-intermediate throws and better anticipation than Teddy Bridgewater. He isn't the most athletic and has a weak arm which is why he's being mocked as a late round pick.

EDIT: He outgunned Derek Carr in an unbelievable game that finished 69-54 or something.

As you've mentioned Alex Smith I notice that the Chiefs haven't yet signed him to a long term deal........QB to be picked in the draft then?

I hear Teddy Bridgewater would be a good fit ;)

I don't like Garrappolo because of the same reason I dislike AJ McCarron - can't deal with pressure. Not seen much of Savage but he was touted as a late first rounder at some point. Again, didn't see much of him, but didn't impress me that much. I have no idea what will happen at QB this year.

Mmm, outshone Carr at the Senior Bowl though playing against decent defenders with middle of the pack receivers and in that east-west shrine game he was a star. I'm questioning why Savage wasnt touted this highly during the season or at the end of the year, I have a feeling he might be the product of hipster analysts just trying too hard to be different, hope he proves me wrong though.

Who was the boy out of San Jose State that put up ridiculous numbers. Was it Foles?

David Fales. He's the opposite of Savage, highly regarded toward the end of the season then just went completely off the radar, no idea why. Like you say he put up very good numbers and with only Chandler Jones catching the ball (who is very under rated going in to the draft btw). Looking closer he did have a solid running back helping him out but even then his numbers are not to be over looked

I hear Teddy Bridgewater would be a good fit ;)

Mmm, outshone Carr at the Senior Bowl though playing against decent defenders with middle of the pack receivers and in that east-west shrine game he was a star. I'm questioning why Savage wasnt touted this highly during the season or at the end of the year, I have a feeling he might be the product of hipster analysts just trying too hard to be different, hope he proves me wrong though.

David Fales. He's the opposite of Savage, highly regarded toward the end of the season then just went completely off the radar, no idea why. Like you say he put up very good numbers and with only Chandler Jones catching the ball (who is very under rated going in to the draft btw). Looking closer he did have a solid running back helping him out but even then his numbers are not to be over looked

I think you're right with Savage. He has a big arm but wasn't that productive against poor competition.

Fales isn't one to blow up a pro day with incredible athleticism and he doesn't have any of the lazy stereotypical QB traits like ideal size or a big arm.

Archived