East/West Combined Super League

HTG

...or if the SJFA finally gets its act together and starts to represent the interests of its members rather than adopting an ostrich like posture, it runs in parallel with the LL at tier 5 after being given a couple of extra seasons to get fully up to speed on licensing. Definitely not holding my breath on that happening, but the split really should be west, east and north to balance the populations covered by the feeders.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the Junior Cup, what does "equalisation" in R3 not R1 mean?

My guess would be playing

84 ties > 42 ties > 10 ties + 22 byes > 16 ties > 8 ties > 4 ties > Semi-Finals > Final

instead of current

40 ties + 108 byes > 64 ties > 32 ties > 16 ties > 8 ties > 4 ties > Semi-Finals > Final

but it's not familiar phrasing.

That's my take on that section - can't see an obvious rationale for it though. Unless it's about emptying more teams out earlier (126 v 104 by round 2)

On 23/01/2014 at 11:13, The Old Northerner said:

That's my take on that section - can't see an obvious rationale for it though. Unless it's about emptying more teams out earlier (126 v 104 by round 2)

In the context of the section being about fixtures, my guess would be that it's to try and reduce the number of postponements...? Doing it that way gets more ties played in the early autumn. It would be a bit strange though. It's like what they used to do in Victorian times where if you'd (say) 40 clubs you'd play 20 ties > 10 ties > 5 ties > 1 tie + 3 byes > Semis instead of 4 ties + 12 byes > 8 ties > 4 ties > Semis.

On 23/01/2014 at 12:46, Bankies Alive said:

Anything that takes fixture arranging out of the hands of the West Region Secretary gets my vote! :thumsup2

Tbf, it puts it into the hands of the SJFA secretary.

I have to say, it would be rather bizarre if the plan here was to have 2 parallel Lowland Leagues, one Senior one Junior, competing below the SPFL2.

Btw, here's how the 2 proposed new divisions would shape-up based on current standings:

Superduperleague 1

Auchinleck

Bo'ness

Bonnyrigg

Broxburn

Camelon

Clydebank

Hill of Beath

Hurlford

Irvine Meadow

Kilbirnie

Kirkintilloch

Linlithgow

Lochee Utd

Newtongrange

Superduperleague 2

Armadale

Arthurlie*

Ballingry

Carnoustie

Cumnock

Glenafton

Kelty

Largs*

Musselburgh

Petershill

Pollok

St Andrews*

Sauchie

Tayport*

The 8 - 6 East/West split is not going to pass muster with the West clubs. And who can blame them. The move to 16 team leagues in the East was about establishing a truer test of champions in terms of maintaining performance in the league for longer, flattening out the structure and providing a greater percentage chance of promotion for clubs in the very bottom tier. It was never at any stage going to suggest that the team in 7th position in the East was any more deserving of a place in the top flight than the team in 7th in the West. It would be absolute nonsense to offer that up just for the sake of minimising the knock on administration. A 14 team league would have to start by drawing the top 7 from each feeder.

I don't think it will happen anyway - unless it is sitting beneath the Lowland League in a pyramid. Even then you have to deal with the fact that the EoS and SoS non league seniors need to be taken into account. You simply can't have teams picking which strand they drop into. There's a lot more to this unless the Juniors really do intend standing apart for years to come.

Stop calling it the superduper league. Wasn't funny the first time you said it.

I wasn't trying to be funny... anyway I think it was the Sun back in June who first used the phrase... but it needs to have some name or we will all be getting tied in complete knots talking about East & West Superleagues, East Superleagues, East Premier Leagues, West Superleague Premiers, West Super Firsts, and so on.

There must be some name for what goes above a Superleague.

It's been confirmed the proposal isn't a Scottish or National Superleague... how about Super Superleague? (EDIT: That's probably just as confusing. Central Superleague? Overleague?).

• 2 weeks later...

The blueprint for the proposed new East/West region superleagues was presented at last nights West Region meeting. Briefly two mixed divisions with eight east + six west teams in each initially, two up, two down, between each, to begin at the start of season 2015-16.

The regions below that unchanged from present set-up with promotion/relegation from their present superleague first equivalent divisions.

There did not seem to be much enthusiasm for this change due mainly to increased travelling costs/times.

It is to be taken back to the clubs by the delegates for discussion and presumably a vote at the AGM's in the summer.

What do you think will happen?

No Chance,

Wouldnt fancy Montrose Roselea v Kilwinning Rangers in a 2nd tier junior game, ridiculous,

Allthough i think you can have 1 east/west league with the rest as it is, If teams reject the chance the next team down the ladder in each region should get the opportunity if they wish

Maybe this could get merged in with the previous thread, which had dropped onto the 2nd page of the Junior sub-forum? Sure people will have particular West-oriented thoughts but that thread's covered much ground already with 80 replies?

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/207856-eastwest-combined-super-league/

Good idea HJ.

The plan is basically a knee jerk reaction to the threat that the pyramid potentially has for the junior game and instead of embracing change they have come up with this scheme.

An East/ west standalone juniors super league with no entry to the pyramid will not stop ambitious clubs from leaving the junior set up.

The Juniors set up has to link up with the seniors or it will find itself completely isolated.

Certain clubs were asked about this potential move months ago, not all only some which shows a lack of thought on the part of the SJFA.

Would pontificate further but I'm going out for my tea.

Thank fcuk.

Only joking Tynie. We need to move on and the suggestion of an East/West League is in my opinion a final throw of the dice from the SJFA.

Archived