East/West Combined Super League

HTG

It may well be there's matters going on behind the scenes that Johnston's not telling them - that he may have been told by the SFA either he makes sure the Juniors get with the programme on the pyramid end game or they'll be disaffiliated altogether. He may well be having to play more of a Gospatric role more than anyone knows rather than out of self interest. Time will tell perhaps.

Your East-West sections seems the best workable compromise, with a play-off for an overall champion. I'd take it one stage further and the champion taking part in the SPFL play offs - this would produce a workable two semi-finals and a final, would make the Junior set up part of a pyramid whilst retaining the Junior Cup, etc, and little else would need to be altered, save perhaps turning the Northern Juniors into a league for promotion/relegation into the Highland League and ending the annual Strathspey Thistle/Fort William fiasco. Everyone ends up happy.

I have been following this topic with interest and this seems to a sensible compromise and may gain approval as it is still within the junior setup.

To suggest taking it one stage further tho without addressing the constant sticking point of licencing appears a tad optimistic to say the least !

This issue will need to be addressed at some stage within the junior ranks if integration into a pyramid is to be a serious option.

Just as important tho is the issue of relegation in the event of a club going up then coming back down - where do they go ?

I would love to see complete integration of all non league club at some stage

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been following this topic with interest and this seems to a sensible compromise and may gain approval as it is still within the junior setup.

To suggest taking it one stage further tho without addressing the constant sticking point of licencing appears a tad optimistic to say the least !

This issue will need to be addressed at some stage within the junior ranks if integration into a pyramid is to be a serious option.

Just as important tho is the issue of relegation in the event of a club going up then coming back down - where do they go ?

I would love to see complete integration of all non league club at some stage

I think HibbeeJibbee had a post not so long ago about the consequences within the English system when the Southern Premier and Isthmian leagues were forming the Southern Conference above them, and this meant some historical anomolies were settled (eg. London/Kent clubs being in the Southern & ones from outside being in the Isthmian) over time, and new ones created. Whenever you have regionalisation, there's going to be these problems.

Licencing I reckon will be settled by plain old economics. The prospective cash windfalls from the Scottish Cup proper is too good for clubs at this level to turn down (especially as sponsorship in the Juniors year on year dries up), and now the old fiasco of every jumpers-for-goalposts amateur club getting in will fast become history (which in truth has been the major deterrent for Junior sides, as great a potential financial blackhole as a bad Junior Cup draw to the far north) thanks to the rigours of licencing, one by one the best Junior clubs will make the effort.

Sure, they will make all manner of excuses for backtracking and appearing to some to "sell out", but they will - ultimately - comply. The part which worries me is how much unnecessary bad blood they may make for themselves inbetween with the reset of Scottish football with unnecessary strabismatics on points of "principle" deep down they ceased believing decades ago.

Again, time will tell.

I think HibbeeJibbee had a post not so long ago about the consequences within the English system when the Southern Premier and Isthmian leagues were forming the Southern Conference above them, and this meant some historical anomolies were settled (eg. London/Kent clubs being in the Southern & ones from outside being in the Isthmian) over time, and new ones created. Whenever you have regionalisation, there's going to be these problems.

Wasn't me, anyway, but I'll happily claim credit - it sounds erudite and insightful :lol:.

Wasn't me, anyway, but I'll happily claim credit - it sounds erudite and insightful :lol:.

Must have been Gala Kev then, as he's usually the one where anything to do with the Isthmian is concerned.

Should have used this:

Susan-horn.JPG

instead of using this:

BoromirHorn.jpg

:P

(And let's see if any of the smart asses out there know the football reference in the first pic)

Must have been Gala Kev then, as he's usually the one where anything to do with the Isthmian is concerned.

Should have used this:

Susan-horn.JPG

instead of using this:

BoromirHorn.jpg

:P

(And let's see if any of the smart asses out there know the football reference in the first pic)

Director Michael Apted who also directed the official film of the 2006 world cup??

unnecessary strabismatics on points of "principle" deep down they ceased believing decades ago.

Strabismatics?

Are they something to do with Professor Strabismus of Utrecht?

If you're under 65 and don't remember the late lamented Beachcomber column in the Daily Express you won't have a clue what I'm on about.

So we're going to get an East/West league - presumably the SJFA are going to abandon the North Region at some point...

Bradford City Fire?

Strabismatics?

Are they something to do with Professor Strabismus of Utrecht?

If you're under 65 and don't remember the late lamented Beachcomber column in the Daily Express you won't have a clue what I'm on about.

Yes, Anna Poppelwell from the Narnia chronics is Judge Poppelwell's granddaughter - and was lampooned in the Daily Express's Beachcomber column (still going) and in Private Eye as Justice Cocklecarrot as he was regarded as a doddering old idiot, as shown by the Poppelwell Inquiry which would have saw stands such as that at Meadow Park closed if he'd had his way over one club's failure to conduct proper housekeeping.

• 3 years later...

Bump.

Interesting reading on this thread from 2013, the situation we find ourselves in the East has been coming. Failure to engage in the pyramid and Licencing by the SJFA a fatal mistake.

Whats the appetite like at Petershill for a WOSL?
Last time I looked, we were playing in one. [emoji6]

It will be a hard job to convince some of our members that "going Senior" is the way forward. But as I already pointed out at our AGM, if there is no appetite to get a licence then very little would actually change if a WOSL comes into play.

Last time I looked, we were playing in one. [emoji6]

It will be a hard job to convince some of our members that "going Senior" is the way forward. But as I already pointed out at our AGM, if there is no appetite to get a licence then very little would actually change if a WOSL comes into play.

Ok, you know what i meant but for a club like peasy licensing would seem like a no brainer!

Guest brycey
6 minutes ago, nicotina said:

no appetite now all the top east teams have left 

junior cup won yesterday by talbot will now be a glorified west of scotland cup

and wont have the same prestige  also imo

this post says it all junior football right up the swanny now 

On 24 November 2013 at 19:46, HibeeJibee said:

Looking in from outside, not being a supporter of a Junior club, one issue with it has always been what a couple of posters have already identified - you'd have a 'Central Junior League' which suited the central belt sides very well, but excluded North Juniors and was difficult for clubs in Ayrshire and Tayside. That's the worst of both worlds... not a national league, but a single strong central one with weak fringes neglected or 'cut loose'.

It'd also be rather odd for step 6 on the pyramid to cover more territory than step 5.

(Unless Tayside transferred to North Juniors?).

Spooky or what.

On 24 November 2013 at 19:38, Wile E Coyote said:

This was never a proposal. It was TJ shouting his mouth off to the media without thinking.

It has went no further forward because most of the clubs are not in favour of it.

And 5 years later the same thing is brought out again for an airing.

23 hours ago, gogsy said:

November 2013 I was still wondering if our new rookie manager would steer us to survival in the Superleague and just celebrating out first league win of the season.:rolleyes:

And still hanging about the Junior forum.

Archived