East/West Combined Super League

HTG

I agree with you on the midden stuff. There is a tendency on here for folk to go way overboard on this.Most junior grounds are decent, or basic and tidy.You get some grounds that are not the best but let's not exaggerate this. Clubs in the west with more dilapidated grounds are now in the process of moving to new grounds and a few in recent years already have like port Glasgow , petershill,

RRG, could you explain why every post you make uses 2/3 inches of space for the reply or message. Then 5" of the non related rubbish below?

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be keen on a bigger league. Only have 13 guaranteed home games a season as it stands which isn't enough from my perspective. Re merger ... If 7 and 7 then it would produce ( imo ) best non league option in Scotland ( caveat that I've not seen HL ) ... so from pov of playing standards we're in favour. Other issues to resolve though obv. I'm ( as are the club ) open minded re the best way forward and will try to engage positively

Interesting reading is this thread!

I don't have a perfect solution but I do think the status quo has had it (cue Tommyboy putting up a daft youtube link).

However, I'm also wondering which clubs are happy with things as they are. Is it just P&B posters who aren't?

Change for changes sake? what exactly is wrong with the current set-up? I would have thought a more sensible idea would be for the West to move towards bigger leagues as in the East, and deal with the KO time problem.

Otherwise, the only meaningful change would be to engage seriously with the SFA over the Pyramid/LL.

News flash!! P n B poster talks complete and utter sense. It'll never catch on.

The proposed east-west league could easily be a case of engaging seriously with the SFA over the pyramid. Not sure why it would be pushed so relentlessly otherwise.

I sense that this is the principle. Get the Juniors to a structure that mirrors the non league senior structure and then look at further integration. It's worth repeating that this whole thing was much easier for the non league seniors in so far as their structure required minimal adjustment and focus was on the criteria from day 1. The Juniors have an awful lot more clubs to consider and a wider geographic area to manage.

The proposed east-west league could easily be a case of engaging seriously with the SFA over the pyramid. Not sure why it would be pushed so relentlessly otherwise.

As has been pointed out before, the SFA will not entertain a rival to the LL inside the Pyramid, it makes absolutely no sense from their point of view. They have a league in place with licensing criteria, they have teams from the West playing in it and they have vacancies.

This is just a TJ vanity project.

A proposed east-west league could well be of a better standard then the fourth tier in the SPFL. I suppose some junior teams have ambitions to progress, but I'm struggling to see the benefit of moving from a successful regional east/west league to a 10 team national league complete with possibly 4 trips to the highlands.

Most Highland league clubs hold similar views, for what it's worth. Think the key is whether the east-west league provides enough advantages over the status quo to be worth a go and promotion beyond that, if entry level licensing were to be involved down the road, could be viewed in a cross that bridge if we ever come to it sort of way.

If you had been at the West Region meeting last night and heard the level of abuse directed at the president for daring to take part in discussions to DISCUSS the CONCEPT of a combined East/West superleague then you would realise how little chance there is of it ever coming to fruition.

Change might come in time but only if a number of top clubs decide to break away and form a new association, it would be like the intermediate league way back in the 1930's which reportably was a very successful league, but which eventually came back into the fold.

I don't see the Lowland league being the vehicle by which this will happen though.

although told by numerous clubs at recent meeting that there was very little intrest ayahtolla johnston says in todays sun he will go ahead with combined league. i thought his job was to carry out the wishes of member clubs

Hopefully we'll get a link to the article or a scanned version soon. Presumably he can be voted out of office by member clubs? If he is sticking his neck out this far there must be a reason and pressure from the SFA over the pyramid is the obvious one on that, in my opinion.

although told by numerous clubs at recent meeting that there was very little intrest ayahtolla johnston says in todays sun he will go ahead with combined league. i thought his job was to carry out the wishes of member clubs

Well, that'll be that then. We might as well all roll over and embrace his dream dooper league. We were all warned that Regan was a control freak and we should be very wary of his agenda. Looks like he's picked up an apprentice.

Least a couple of clubs will be happy look on bright side!

Good on him. About time there was some leadership and direction in the Juniors. If you don't fancy it don't apply.

Edit to add that I still don't endorsed this - I'd far prefer we all just joined up with the Lowland League but if it takes us a step in the right direction then so much the better.

Cant understand why he would push it and cant understand any East team being happy to join an improved and better league if it isnt going to be so ?

A top East/ West league surely has to involve the TOP teams from both regions or it defeats the purpose.

Will they rename it the East / West " those who want it " league ?

Unlike the Lowland League it is easy to access the SJFA's constitution:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SJFAFiles/DocumentsandDownloads/Constitution&Rules/SJFA%20Constitution%20&%20Rules%202014-15.pdf

Don't see anything obvious on how the east-west league could be implemented unilaterally by the officeholders.

Cant understand why he would push it and cant understand any East team being happy to join an improved and better league if it isnt going to be so ?

A top East/ West league surely has to involve the TOP teams from both regions or it defeats the purpose.

Will they rename it the East / West " those who want it " league ?

You have to start somewhere and if Ayrshire in particular chooses to opt out then there's not much that can be done about it. The Lowland League has been built using an applications system to get it up and running so the model for doing so is already in place.

Archived