East/West Combined Super League

HTG

Not sure why the 14-14 format from last year is still being discussed, so much on this page. The latest in The Sun on the weekend was a single east-west superleague division of 12, which is much more realistic.

It only said:

Plans like a new Super Superleague with the top 12 teams from the East and West, or a 2-division set-up with 14 teams in each, have been mooted.

No more emphasis on one than other. No specific quote from Johnston.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nought very realistic about leaving 6 premier and 14 first division teams in the West. 20 is too much for one division and splitting it into 2 x 10 is too small. It will therefore impact on the current set up in the District Leagues.

At least you've got the consolation that your District leagues are an utter shambles and need revamped anyway.

I still believe the way forward is to have 2 national leagues of 16. Then regionalise below this into north, east and west.

Have a scottish cup for all affiliated clubs, (If required a league cup for the top 2 leagues and top regional league.) a regional cup and to boost games retain the major cup of each old setup, junior cup, EOS cup etc

I still believe the way forward is to have 2 national leagues of 16. Then regionalise below this into north, east and west.

Have a scottish cup for all affiliated clubs, (If required a league cup for the top 2 leagues and top regional league.) a regional cup and to boost games retain the major cup of each old setup, junior cup, EOS cup etc

It's not happening though. And won't as long as the SPFL is content with its current national structure.

We can debate the rights and wrongs of this, but, one thing seems to keep coming up , albeit various sizes of leagues have been suggested.

The common thread seems to be that the East Leagues have a higher amount of teams in both top divisions at inception ( common consensus is 8 east and 6 West in both leagues.

Why should the East have 4 more places in the set up when, unless I have missed something when checking , the member clubs of each region are 61 in the East and 63 in the West, but yet the West are ( allegedly) to get the lesser allocation in the new set up .

Therefore , the west will have 12 clubs in the elite divisions and the other 51 clubs will be consigned to Ayrshire and Central district league's

To put that into context, if the proposal went ahead tomorrow, Pollok would NOT get into the set up even though they are top of their division and, apart from last season are a team who were almost permanent fixtures in the top division

Therefore , the west will have 12 clubs in the elite divisions and the other 51 clubs will be consigned to Ayrshire and Central district league's

To put that into context, if the proposal went ahead tomorrow, Pollok would NOT get into the set up even though they are top of their division and, apart from last season are a team who were almost permanent fixtures in the top division

If you mean 14-14, logically there'd still be a 'regional' level (current 2nd tiers - new 3rd tiers), and it mightn't affect promotion/relegation.

i.e.

Current Model

East

16 16

West

12 14

__-12

New Model

16_____14

16 16__12 14

_________12

Therefore, based on current standings:

Super Superleague Premier

Irvine Meadow, Auchinleck Talbot, Hurlford Utd, Petershill, Beith, Troon, Kelty Hearts, Newtongrange Star, Linlithgow Rose, Bo'ness Utd, Penicuik Athletic, Bonnyrigg Rose, Musselburgh Athletic, Sauchie

Super Superleague First

Glenafton Athletic, Arthurlie, Cumnock, Kilbirnie Ladeside/Maybole, Pollok, Shettleston, Broxburn Athletic, Camelon, Hill of Beath Hawthorn, Fauldhouse Utd, Armadale Thistle, Carnoustie Panmure/Edinburgh Utd, St Andrews Utd, Montrose Roselea

14-14 was the plan that circulated before last year's AGM, as far as I remember? Given it wasn't pursued any further, is it not safe to assume that the required interest level isn't there, hence the switch of plan to a smaller east-west setup filled by an application process rather than by league position?

If you mean 14-14, logically there'd still be a 'regional' level (current 2nd tiers - new 3rd tiers), and it mightn't affect promotion/relegation.

i.e.

Current Model

East

16 16

West

12 14

__-12

New Model

16_____14

16 16__12 14

_________12

Irvine Meadow, Auchinleck Talbot, Hurlford Utd, Petershill, Beith, Troon, Kelty Hearts, Newtongrange Star, Linlithgow Rose, Bo'ness Utd, Penicuik Athletic, Bonnyrigg Rose, Musselburgh Athletic, Sauchie

Super Superleague First

Glenafton Athletic, Arthurlie, Cumnock, Kilbirnie Ladeside/Maybole, Pollok, Shettleston, Broxburn Athletic, Camelon, Hill of Beath Hawthorn, Fauldhouse Utd, Armadale Thistle, Carnoustie Panmure/Edinburgh Utd, St Andrews Utd, Montrose Roselea

How can anyone seriously consider send for example Maybole to Carnoustie for a league game, madness

14-14 was the plan that circulated before last year's AGM, as far as I remember? Given it wasn't pursued any further, is it not safe to assume that the required interest level isn't there, hence the switch of plan to a smaller east-west setup filled by an application process rather than by league position?

You may be right but I'm not sure where you're getting the "wasn't pursued any further" and "switch of plan" from? As I said, the weekend's paper draws no distinction between the 2. Perhaps both will be discussed on Thursday. Perhaps more.

As far as a single division of 12 option goes, in connection with earlier posts, clearly that would require reconstruction of the regions and districts.

i am perhaps mistaken but when did s.j.f.a.takeover the running of the regional leagues? thiis appears to be ploy by johnston to secure his seat on the gravy train

are use all mental, people are wanting to get back to local leagues not spread it wider, people aren't travelling to away games, why do people want to waste more money on travelling EVERYONE WAKEN UP.

i.e.

Current Model

East

16 16

West

12 14

__-12

New Model

16_____14

16 16__12 14

_________12

Super Superleague First

And this is exactly why the proposals are a nonsense.

Edinburgh United and Montrose Roselea having to travel away every fortnight to the likes of Glenafton or Cumnock on their biscuit tin budgets? It would be the greatest madness since the 1920s Scottish Division 3!

are use all mental, people are wanting to get back to local leagues not spread it wider, people aren't travelling to away games, why do people want to waste more money on travelling EVERYONE WAKEN UP.

Totally agree & have said this for a while

A would rather play teams like the Buffs Dalry & Winton each week in a league with Talbot Medda & Hurlford than travel to Shotts peasies or Kilsyrh . So why the hell would I want to travel to Carnoustie Kelty or Hill o Beath ?

Trying to drive the fans away from the game me thinks

LADESIDE

In the current set up Talbot's largest away crowd is to Cumnock, 2nd largest is to Glenafton.

Lowest travelling support is to Shotts.

Its not rocket science why this is. Cumnock is our closest away game, Shotts is our furthest away.

The more you have to travel the less people go to the game

The fans don't want it,far too much travel involved.it would also take a lot of shine off the Scottish cup tae! Who do u play in the summer midweek games as well,do u get sent to Edinburgh from kilbirnie on a Thursday night in May or would it be biased towards playing the furthest away teams twice as soon as possible to avoid this situation.

Archived