East/West Combined Super League

HTG

I dont think it is just Ayrshire and you cant have an East /West league without the West , or without the East, surely both sides need to agree.

If the only way to retain your licence was to join the LL would you honestly enjoy watching your team playing in that league where to be honest the best achievement would be promotion into league 3, and no chance of winning any cups ?

Yes, I absolutely would. I'm a passionate believer that every team in every sport should be able to go as far as their ability allows. I can't stand artificial barriers and being the best we can be is more important to me than winning cups at one level when we could be - not necessarily would be - playing at a higher level. You could equally ask why 150 or so junior teams bother with the Junior cup or why teams like stoneyburn or Pumpherston stay in the juniors. They're unlikely to be winning the big stuff any time soon and they could probably win more cups if they were playing amateur. Very few teams win lots of cups and I never count it as a reason to follow a football team. We'd all be Barcelona fans if that were the case.

If I had to make the decision tomorrow between licence and juniors, cheerio! Not that I'll have to make that decision of course so it's easy to trot the line out.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not surprising to see the biggest support for this coming from fans of fairly central clubs like Linlithgow. There's not really much of a change for them - most of their trips to West clubs would be no further than they currently travel to Fife and Tayside.

The teams on the geographical margins have much more to consider. For example, Auchinleck would have 2 or 3 hour journeys to get to a lot of away matches against East teams. The same would be true of someone like Lochee or Montrose if they ended up in this league.

I personally think that the three region set-up is about right for the sixth tier of Scottish football, although of course it's muddied by the fact that most of the teams in this league would actually be fifth tier standard if everything was drawn up from scratch.

Seriously doubt there would be many 2 to 3 hour journeys involved. Most top clubs in the east are in West Lothian, Midlothian and the Dunfermline area in Fife, close to a motorway or dual carriageway. Allow the use of floodlights and enter club licensing and the main issues with it on travel and finance would soon be addressed.

We regularly make two hour journeys to away games. I can honestly say they are not as bad once you get used to them. Us older ones zone out with a book our listen to our "old man's" music on mp3 players. The younger ones including the players seem to have a great time judging by the amount of noise they make on the bus. (a couple of seasons ago we had a PlayStation on the bus which kept them amused).

If I am going out on any particular Saturday evening, I will drive to the match.

Can't say there have been too many long away midweek matches. Perhaps one or two a season.

My other half is a Carlisle fan, on a few occasions I have accompanied her on a journey to Yeovil or Bournemouth. Now they are long journeys. However there still seems to be a few regulars who go every other week.

One of the most important cases for 'Do We or don't we' is reference to lack of travelling support at the extreme South Ayrshire v Tayside. The costs and time involved are a salient point. Yet we soldier on year after year with numerous games that are a total cash loss. the 'All In Scottish Cup'

Johnstone & Co at Hampden refuse to consider playing early rounds on a regional basis to lets say R3. Look at what the SFA are doing in the new League Cup set up 2016? Aye! early rounds on a Regional Basis.

Full marks that man ha ha

LADESIDE

Judging from info on the SFA website about the managament committee of the west region:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SJFAFiles/WestRegionFiles/Handbook/00%20-%20Handbook%202014-15%20(V-06).pdf

that would be two out of three of Clydebank, Rob Roy and Bellshill Athletic given those clubs currently have no home ground of their own and have west region delegates to the SJFA.

the main selling point from the east seems to be entry into the "big" cup but this is not guaranteed to continue as the lower senior teams are not happy with the juniors walking away with their money and will exclude them at the first oppertunity

On the bright side that got voted down at the last SFA AGM. The key would be getting entry level licensing and full SFA membership in the same manner Linlithgow Rose did.

For how long? The license will be up for review every year and being a part of the pyramid is still a requirement.

Archived