East/West Combined Super League

HTG

I think they'll take the risk and run with it. If a bunch of teams from one area don't want to be involved they can play at their own level and everyone else will get on with the integrated structure - potentially backed by the sfa and with decent sponsorship and Scottish Cup access.

Have you heard anything as regards to SFA backing, sponsorship and Scottish Cup entry ?

If the SFA are backing this financially and if there is guaranteed access to the big Scottish Cup for all teams in the new league then this could be the game changer.

Top league of 14 of the top junior clubs, Big Scottish Cup entry, Junior Scottish entry, yearly funding from SFA, decent sponsor.

This looks very appealing and will do for a lot of ambitious clubs imo.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would Linlithgow, Bo'ness, Bonnyrigg Rose, Newtongrange etc Star bring a lot to a league with top 6/8 teams in West? Of course they would and would all bring very decent supports, more than some in current West Super Premier League. Midweek games, costs of buses every 2nd week and late cancellations are the main stumbling blocks in my opinion.

As a Meadow fan I would look forward to two games v Bo'ness and Linlithgow than go back to Ayrshire League playing Ardeer, Maybole, Lugar more often, no disrespect and good grounds to visit. Don't see appeal that Kilbirnie and Talbot fans seem to have about playing lesser teams from nearby. Maybe them more likely to win, back home for 4.30pm each week and no relegation fears for Kilbirnie?

I think a 14 or 16 team West Super League with an earlier start to the season would improve West Region and personally not for merger but can see why looking at it.

Medda

Cumnock

Talbot

Glenafton

Beith

Troon

Kilbirnie

Hurlford

Buffs

Winton

Largs

That would be a decent Ayrshire league , better gates than your super duper league, and no guarantees of avoiding relegation,

Have you heard anything as regards to SFA backing, sponsorship and Scottish Cup entry ?

If the SFA are backing this financially and if there is guaranteed access to the big Scottish Cup for all teams in the new league then this could be the game changer.

Top league of 14 of the top junior clubs, Big Scottish Cup entry, Junior Scottish entry, yearly funding from SFA, decent sponsor.

Where has any of this been mentioned.

FFS. talk about jumping to conclusions. TJ has come up with this as a competitor to the LL and you think the SFA will back it.

Big Scottish Cup entry and funding would get even Kilbirnie guys to start looking seriously at this. Top 4 teams in league even would get top West and East clubs wanting in as they will know the money, prestige & sponsorship Senior Scottish Cup run to 3rd Round or beyond can create.

But I don't think anything of sort was discussed last night?

I'm just a simple junior fan m8 you tell me where they get cash,,,At a guess it would be through grants , which take time , Not all junior grounds are middens , some just need a wee touch up.Can understand some folk thinking it's good idea for their club , but not for me

I don't know the answer either but they've done it so it can be done. And they seem to be much smaller clubs than some of our big guns who should surely be savvy enough to get a licence. But of course they can't get a licence because they won't commit to the pyramid. So rather than make the effort, they won't bother. And that's the crux of junior football's malaise - what's the fuckin point of doing anything as you get f**k all back. Great philosophy that encourages. Still, as long as you can be home for tiffin ...

Top league of 14 (16) of the top junior clubs, Big Scottish Cup entry, Junior Scottish entry, yearly funding from SFA, decent sponsor.

I have fixed it to show what's on offer currently for Lowland League Clubs.

The scored out bits could easily be remedied by the junior clubs themselves I see no reason why a junior club who joins the Lowland League shouldn't be able to continue to play in the junior cup. Its up to the SJFA themselves to allow it. The current Lowland League clubs still play the local cup competitions organised by the East of Scotland or the South of Scotland FAs.

What facilities,in your opinion HTG would make it a decent match day experience? (I hate that term - but I know what you mean)

Obviously basic toilet facilities, what else?

AskTynie - he wrote that pish. I've enough trouble with my own stuff! That said, I agree with him.

Decent toilets, decent and safe covered areas, proper facilities for players, trained first aid people available - after what happened to Bonnyrigg's Craig Devine at our place I'm really pleased we've now got access to a defibrillator. It's not all about money - I reckon we had a bigger challenge implementing the policies.

AskTynie - he wrote that pish. I've enough trouble with my own stuff! That said, I agree with him.

Decent toilets, decent and safe covered areas, proper facilities for players, trained first aid people available - after what happened to Bonnyrigg's Craig Devine at our place I'm really pleased we've now got access to a defibrillator. It's not all about money - I reckon we had a bigger challenge implementing the policies.

Aye, sorry pal - must pay more attention!

I have fixed it to show what's on offer currently for Lowland League Clubs.

The scored out bits could easily be remedied by the junior clubs themselves I see no reason why a junior club who joins the Lowland League shouldn't be able to continue to play in the junior cup. Its up to the SJFA themselves to allow it. The current Lowland League clubs still play the local cup competitions organised by the East of Scotland or the South of Scotland FAs.

Aye but can it all happen in Ayrshire? It seems they've adopted and adapted the famous Gala slogan "a day out of Gala is a day wasted".

Aye but can it all happen in Ayrshire? It seems they've adopted and adapted the famous Gala slogan "a day out of Gala is a day wasted".

This isnt what I am reading mate.

From what I hear most WEST teams have had some sort of consulatation with their fans who are a very important part of the equation and arebasing their discussion with them in mind which in my opinion is correct.

I believe Lithgae have verbally asked a core of fans their views but I also believe some East clubs havent even consulted any fans.

Being selfish it would suit me because I would get to more Talbot games, but its about the fans who regularly attend matches because they are the backbone of most junior teams and without them many would struggle so affordability must be a factor.

I also accept that it would be very attractive to see the best from each side playing each other but how long would that last before these games became run of the mill, and we would lose the romance of big East / West clashes in the Scottish ?

I also believe there is no sponsor for this proposed league.

I think the idea of change is like everything else.

Take the central / Ayrshire league amalgamation and when it first started how exciting did these following fixtures look for example as it was fresh;

Beith v arthurlie

Pollok v kilbirnie

Irvine meadow v petershill

Shotts v auchinleck

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy v Cumnock

It was great at first as it was fresh and new and you could only play these teams beforehand in the west / Scottish cup .

The amalgamation has went a long way to devaluing the west of Scotland cup and further amalgamation might just do the same to the Scottish cup if it was talbot v Linlithgow in mundane league business over the years and every single year. That draw just now in the Scottish gets an entire junior nation talking but I fear if the west and east come together then it could take the shine off the Scottish cup.

It could be argued that the following fixtures in a combined east /west league is great at first but after a few years of it then it could get mundane with the extra travelling of ;

Talbot v Linlithgow

Bo'ness v meadow

Arthurlie v Musselburgh

Kelty v beith

Everything is fresh at first and even the champions league fixtures of ;

Real Madrid v man united

Liverpool v Barcelona

Man city v bayern etc was great at first and you looked forward to these games all day but the more they face off against one another over the years it can lead to the vital edge of the fixture being truly appealing .

The clowns can't get sponsorship for their showpiece trophy bar a token sponsorship for the final & can't organise a fixture list for their leagues between them & you want these imbeciles to run a national league where clubs will incur more costs for travelling & less fans through the gates because of bigger distances involved & you think it's the way forward???

The loonies have well & truly taken over the asylum if you think this idea will be anything but a burden in the clubs involved .

If my club votes for it & we are involved I will definitely pick & choose what away fixtures I would go to as Kelty away on a midweek in May would Definately not appeal to me in the slightest

LADESIDE

Calm down before you do yourself a mischief mate ha.

I am actually more for a rejig of the current west region set up than a east west combined league certainly not for the utter madness of going back to the district leagues.

What facilities,in your opinion HTG would make it a decent match day experience? (I hate that term - but I know what you mean)

Obviously basic toilet facilities, what else?

A term used on this thread i can't stand is 'product ' I mean come on. Up there with managers who like a project.

If it happens and Ayrshire goes it alone ,we will still be strong , we were strong afore the west super league and we will be strong after the super duper league ,,,, top players will always come to Ayrshire , Enjoy your midweek treks, suppose you will at least get more points on your tesco club card with all the petrol you will buy.This is a shambolic proposal from a man that's trying to justify his hearty wage , yet he can't secure sponsorship for the top junior cup ,

Admit you are to a large extent blinded by your dislike of Mr Johnstone and your clubs run in with him. No matter what he says he is going to get it tight from you guys.

I'm just a simple junior fan m8 you tell me where they get cash,,,At a guess it would be through grants , which take time , Not all junior grounds are middens , some just need a wee touch up.Can understand some folk thinking it's good idea for their club , but not for me

I agree with you on the midden stuff. There is a tendency on here for folk to go way overboard on this.Most junior grounds are decent, or basic and tidy.You get some grounds that are not the best but let's not exaggerate this. Clubs in the west with more dilapidated grounds are now in the process of moving to new grounds and a few in recent years already have like port Glasgow , petershill,

This isnt what I am reading mate.

From what I hear most WEST teams have had some sort of consulatation with their fans who are a very important part of the equation and arebasing their discussion with them in mind which in my opinion is correct.

I believe Lithgae have verbally asked a core of fans their views but I also believe some East clubs havent even consulted any fans.

Being selfish it would suit me because I would get to more Talbot games, but its about the fans who regularly attend matches because they are the backbone of most junior teams and without them many would struggle so affordability must be a factor.

I also accept that it would be very attractive to see the best from each side playing each other but how long would that last before these games became run of the mill, and we would lose the romance of big East / West clashes in the Scottish ?

I also believe there is no sponsor for this proposed league.

I'm being a tad facetious. I'm just a bit pissed off with some of this "we don't need anyone else" guff coming mostly from the Ayrshire lads.

I'm not aware of anyone at Linlithgow being consulted. Members would be consulted if we were potentially heading out of the juniors. If it was a straight choice between losing our licence or leaving the juniors I wouldn't even glance back the way. Others think differently of course.

But just because one group seem dead set against change doesn't mean everyone else should stand still. The earlier comment about "it won't happen without Ayrshire" is misplaced in my view. I think this will run because the sjfa need to embrace change and genuinely those who choose to stay in a regional tier will be able to do so but they will be ranked as such and if there are Scottish Cup places up for grabs they'll be in the wrong place.

I think the idea of change is like everything else.

Take the central / Ayrshire league amalgamation and when it first started how exciting did these following fixtures look for example as it was fresh;

Beith v arthurlie

Pollok v kilbirnie

Irvine meadow v petershill

Shotts v auchinleck

Kirkintilloch Rob Roy v Cumnock

It was great at first as it was fresh and new and you could only play these teams beforehand in the west / Scottish cup .

The amalgamation has went a long way to devaluing the west of Scotland cup and further amalgamation might just do the same to the Scottish cup if it was talbot v Linlithgow in mundane league business over the years and every single year. That draw just now in the Scottish gets an entire junior nation talking but I fear if the west and east come together then it could take the shine off the Scottish cup.

It could be argued that the following fixtures in a combined east /west league is great at first but after a few years of it then it could get mundane with the extra travelling of ;

Talbot v Linlithgow

Bo'ness v meadow

Arthurlie v Musselburgh

Kelty v beith

Everything is fresh at first and even the champions league fixtures of ;

Real Madrid v man united

Liverpool v Barcelona

Man city v bayern etc was great at first and you looked forward to these games all day but the more they face off against one another over the years it can lead to the vital edge of the fixture being truly appealing .

Ha noticed that Beith are defo in the new league...have you asked Mr Johnstone though ?... being good enough might no be enough for Beith or Kilbirnie :)

You're miles out with those figures, we got £750 in the two seasons we were runners up.

You're miles out with those figures, we got £750 in the two seasons we were runners up.

Did you give it back to Tom Johnstone via £40 reinstatement fees over a couple of years?

I'm being a tad facetious. I'm just a bit pissed off with some of this "we don't need anyone else" guff coming mostly from the Ayrshire lads.

I'm not aware of anyone at Linlithgow being consulted. Members would be consulted if we were potentially heading out of the juniors. If it was a straight choice between losing our licence or leaving the juniors I wouldn't even glance back the way. Others think differently of course.

But just because one group seem dead set against change doesn't mean everyone else should stand still. The earlier comment about "it won't happen without Ayrshire" is misplaced in my view. I think this will run because the sjfa need to embrace change and genuinely those who choose to stay in a regional tier will be able to do so but they will be ranked as such and if there are Scottish Cup places up for grabs they'll be in the wrong place.

I dont think it is just Ayrshire and you cant have an East /West league without the West , or without the East, surely both sides need to agree.

If the only way to retain your licence was to join the LL would you honestly enjoy watching your team playing in that league where to be honest the best achievement would be promotion into league 3, and no chance of winning any cups ?

Archived