East/West Combined Super League

HTG

Lets face it the Minutes of the Sjfa Minutes read a whole lot of things... No replays mentioned, Superleagues etc etc but we will have to see what it brings. I cant see how anything can go through to the AGM but lets bring on a whole load of improvements!!!

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On that topic - going by those SJFA national committee minutes this league would be run by the SJFA (presumably in the same way the Junior Cup is run i.e. by Tom Johnstone and the national committee from Hampden). So would the North Region clubs be entitled to vote 'Yes'/'No'?

Reason I ask is two-fold - Firstly, they are totally excluded from the plan and basically become the poor relations of Junior football. Secondly, I'm right that the North Region clubs put forward a proposal to scrap the "3rd weekend in July rule" at the last AGM, either totally or in the North Region alone, and the latter element was defeated by clubs from other regions voting 'No' even though it didn't affect them?

On that topic - going by those SJFA national committee minutes this league would be run by the SJFA (presumably in the same way the Junior Cup is run i.e. by Tom Johnstone and the national committee from Hampden). So would the North Region clubs be entitled to vote 'Yes'/'No'?

Reason I ask is two-fold - Firstly, they are totally excluded from the plan and basically become the poor relations of Junior football. Secondly, I'm right that the North Region clubs put forward a proposal to scrap the "3rd weekend in July rule" at the last AGM, either totally or in the North Region alone, and the latter element was defeated by clubs from other regions voting 'No' even though it didn't affect them?

At the AGM there was 2 proposals one for the complete scrapping of the 3rd weekend in July and one for allowing the regional committees to decide what date pre-season friendlies could start. Both were defeated convincingly but the rule change did effect all clubs.

There were some clubs who voted in favour of scrapping the rule from outwith the north region.

Oh aye because as a previous earlier poster stated Montrose Roselea v Kilwinning? For a start.Many a supporter works a Saturday morning and so does a player. Get a fucking grip you at the helm of the SJFA. Let's be honest,this is all coming about due to the new interest in expanding the Lowland League,which was always in the cards. Step aside,let some forward thinking,sponsorship gaining folk take charge and let our game at this level move forward instead of your ignorant self importance take presidence over you deem to think best for the game!!!

Forward thinking folk would join the pyramid and build a sensible sub structure. Anyone trying to get serious sponsorship etc whilst ignoring what is happening elsewhere is going to have a hell of a job as we have seen. But everything will be ok - mon the Juniors and all that.

Forward thinking folk would join the pyramid and build a sensible sub structure. Anyone trying to get serious sponsorship etc whilst ignoring what is happening elsewhere is going to have a hell of a job as we have seen. But everything will be ok - mon the Juniors and all that.

Why dont you f**k off to the Lowland League then I'm sure they'd take you in a heartbeat, lol am only jokin btw mate.

Think an East/West merger would be a disaster IMO, crowds are dwindling every year and I don't think 4 hour round trips will improve this any. Would also take something away from the Scottish just like the West regions combining done to the WOS Cup.

An East/West merger is a massive no-no for me, the Ayrshire/central merger hasn't been the success everyone thought it would be in fact it has left a vast number of clubs marooned in the lower leagues with virtually no chance of ever progressing. So I really hope this east/west nonsense gets booted into touch you don't mind going to places like Bo'ness and Linlithgow etc. for a one off Scottish tie but not every second or third week for a league game especially if you have no chance of winning the league I couldn't see folk from Auchinleck/Cumnock/New Cumnock travelling through to the east for a meaningless league game and vice-versa.

lets go back to how it was in the 60's as crowds were huge then so that must work Eh ?

I can still remember the uproar the superleagues and merging the old east,fife and tayside regions caused

and look......nobody has gone to the wall because of them. indeed Whitburn suffered greatly because they

opted out.

the east/west merger is the logical next step for me and possibly leading to the lowland league

A Lowlands junior superleague makes sense for West Lothian clubs because traveling to Auchinleck is no more drastic than going to Lochee. It's the clubs at either geographical extreme that are most likely to object. What's not clear is exactly why the management committee of the SJFA are pushing this. Are there clubs about to jump ship to the Lowland League that will be persuaded not to by this? Seems a bit far fetched to me. Does it expand the role of the SJFA as opposed to the east and west regions in a way that justifies having one or more full-time posts for SJFA apparatchiks at Hampden? Could be a case of empire building with the Lowland League providing a convenient excuse for the real motivation.

the east/west merger is the logical next step for me and possibly leading to the lowland league

If we're talking logic, then the next logical step is for the SJFA to embrace the idea of a pyramid and work with the SFA at getting Juniors integrated into it, and into the Lowland League.

That's logic, not an East/West Superleague.

It's all about opinions and thats whats so great about these threads, gettin to read what everyone else thinks the way forward is.

If the SJFA embrace the pyramid then brilliant, but I think this is very doubtfull. They apear deadly serious about this East/West merger and that really worries me. Especially having an East/West 2nd tier, utter fucking madness if you ask me. Tayport v Largs as a 2nd tier fixture, c'mon now geez peace!! Think the best way forward for West clubs is the 16 team divisions, scrap the sectional cup and take it from there.

No reason why a junior lowland superleague couldn't be accepted as a third feeder to the SPFL, in my opinion, in a similar manner to how the Isthmian and Southern leagues overlapped geographically as feeders to the Conference in England in its early years.

Clearly knows nothing about SFA ... Highland and Lowland are `senior` leagues with a specific position in the SFA Memorandum and Articles of Association, as well as the Professional game board. The only way any Junior league can join that structure is by becoming senior .... or joining one of the leagues.

I'm still waiting for your National League to emerge based on the concept of "open grade", Pete, from back in the old yahoogroups days. What matters to Tom Johnston if (as they will almost certainly have to eventually one way or another) the SJFA hooks up with the SFA's stated goal of a pyramid system will be carving out an ongoing well paid niche for himself. Have to wonder whether that's the ultimate end game of east/west superleague. With the east and west super leagues feeding into the Lowland League (and the north region feeding into the Highland League) his role as national secretary might become largely superfluous (especially if the SFA decided to implement an all-encompassing FA Vase style national cup below SPFL level taking in the nonleague seniors as well).

I hope that all of the West Teams are given the opportunity to vote on this and every one rejects this ill thought madness, if indeed there has been any thought. If supporters wanted the travel and expense they would follow a Senior team. This can only lead to lower attendances and lower Income. You can be home in an hour from any fixture in the West and watch your team every week. Meaningless games involving time consuming expensive travel will ultimately affect home attendances as well as away games as folk get out of the habit of going every week.

I hope that all of the West Teams are given the opportunity to vote on this and every one rejects this ill thought madness, if indeed there has been any thought. If supporters wanted the travel and expense they would follow a Senior team. This can only lead to lower attendances and lower Income. You can be home in an hour from any fixture in the West and watch your team every week. Meaningless games involving time consuming expensive travel will ultimately affect home attendances as well as away games as folk get out of the habit of going every week.

Lets go back to the old regions as thats how it always was !! why is it that change is so frowned upon in the juniors ??

why is it that change is so frowned upon in the juniors ??

The current structures suit 90% of the Junior clubs. Why should they just go along with change when it could adversely affect the majority of them. Linlithgow Rose can join the Lowland League if they are unhappy with the juniors.

Archived