WWE Network

Quentin Taranbino

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

But coming out of FAL that night, we all just sort of went 'Aye, that's plenty' and none of us ever went back, nor did we particularly keep up with the product..

It was more or less the same point where I stopped. The first hydro show wasn't good, the second was really, truly rubbish. I had a similar situation where the other guy I went with and myself both pretty much agreed at that point that our interest had bottomed out. We went to one more show, which was also rotten and never even talked about going again.

A year plus of some of the worst booking imaginable and a real downwards trajectory of the quality of shows coupled with a talent exodus and the increasing unbearability of the hardcore ICW fans was the perfect storm of "nah, I'll pass".

Edited by cb_diamond

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

It was more or less the same point where I stopped. The first hydro show wasn't good, the second was really, truly rubbish. I had a similar situation where the other guy I went with and myself both pretty much agreed at that point that our interest had bottomed out. We went to one more show, which was also rotten and never even talked about going again.

A year plus of some of the worst booking imaginable and a real downwards trajectory of the quality of shows coupled with a talent exodus and the increasing unbearability of the hardcore ICW fans was the perfect storm of "nah, I'll pass".

Those fans, fucking hell. Folk reeking of BO telling you to stand somewhere else because you're in 'their usual space'.

1 hour ago, Tiger Driver said:

Those fans, fucking hell. Folk reeking of BO telling you to stand somewhere else because you're in 'their usual space'.

Imagine feeling like a king to that demographic *cough, cough Renfrew*

Edit to add: add Renfrews prominence to the perfect storm of crap mentioned above

Edited by cb_diamond

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Imagine feeling like a king to that demographic *cough, cough Renfrew*

Edit to add: add Renfrews prominence to the perfect storm of crap mentioned above

I was so sure that Grado wouldn't lose the belt to Renfrew at the Square Go that I bet the two pals I was with a tenner each. I was certain ICW wouldn't be that incredibly stupid to flush away so much momentum and goodwill, and especially not to make Chris Renfrew (who was ok but not main event level, at least for me) a champion. If there a reason Grado had to lose the belt then they picked the wrong way and wrong guy to go about it.

Obviously I was £20 down at the end of the event. Was amazed so many folk were going mental over it (in terms of thinking it was a good thing and celebrating). 

Don't even recall who won the Square Go that night. We went to Fear and Loathing that year but that was the last time I was at an ICW show.

Ah well, it was fun when it was hot but mad how quickly they squandered that.

20 hours ago, Tiger Driver said:

The hardcore crowd, the ones who followed them to the Cathouse and Box were definitely the worst part of the ICW Crowd experience.

We watched a guy one night legitimately boot f**k out of the barrier for a good 40 seconds then storm out screaming he was done and would never be back after a match didn't go the way he wanted. Funnily enough, there he was at the next show as normal.

Also that smelly, sweaty, BO riddled tramp who wore the dog or bear suit in the early shows and fucked off after about 2 years in a huff because he wasn't a thing and was never going to be a thing was the worst. The sweat and the virginity was pishing out of that guy.

Sorry this is going to be long and feel free to skip my waffling but I really enjoyed reading the last few pages of various ICW experiences so got carried away writing mine. I arrived later to the ICW party. 

It all started at the Square Go in 2015 and my partner and I knew absolutely hee haw about ICW. The first contest was the 30 min Ironman match with Joe Coffey and Jack Gallagher. It absolutely dragged in. I will never forget the collective groans when it was announced we were only half way through the match. Renfrew lost the title match to Drew then was eliminated last by Dickie Divers in the Square Go. We were now introduced to the NAK and that “card subject to change”. We had no idea Dickie was a diddy and it was going to be all about the Chris Renfrew show. What I did know from watching some absolute roasters down the front flicking up the NAK sign was this would quickly infuriate me more and more with each show. Wolfgang v BT in a cage was good.

Overall it was a good experience and I was introduced to wrestlers I was going to invest in (Joe Hendry, Buckie Boys, Polo Promotions and Mickey Whiplash to name a few). 

We decided to go to the next event in Dundee as a few that stood out to me were all performing there. There we briefly met Dallas and were treated to a good show. Williams beating Dar for the Zero G, Hendry beating Whiplash and Polo Promotions beating Buckie Boys all highlights and that was us hooked. 

Barramania was a decent show, Newcastle was an enjoyable one too and I even dragged my partner to Liverpool so I could see Sabu. ICW was in my veins. The NAK shite aside I couldn’t fault it. Joe Hendry became my favourite and Legion were one of the most entertaining factions I had ever seen. 

Fast forward a few months to Fear and Loathing at the SECC where ICW hit its peak. It started perfectly Davie Boy got his revenge taking the Zero G title off Stevie. The crowd were warming up nicely. I’m sure a few of you touched on it at the time but Viper gave me the fear when I watched her but it was nice to see Nikki Storm becoming a future star for Scotland and Kay Lee Ray looked a huge standout in the women’s title match. Joe Hendry won, Polo Promotions won, of course the NAK had to go over Legion in a shocker of a cage match but Grado wins the world title and the buzz from the place was like nothing British wrestling will ever experience again. It was perfect. Fans went home happy. 

Sadly though it didn’t last and Dallas decided to go back to what ICW knew and what the hardcore following seemingly wanted. It was the next big event, the 5th annual square go in the Barrowlands. From the 3 matches worth mentioning The 55 won the tag titles, Chris Renfrew takes the heavyweight title from Grado and the NAK’s Wolfgang wins the square go. The reaction couldn’t have been flatter with the feel good factor already sucked out the place. Most people in agreement the booking was dreadful but for the neckbeard and cathouse loyal flicking up NAK signs with their hands thinking they were the absolute bollox……………C**ts. It was a backwards step that I think cost ICW dearly. 

From there Big Damo takes the title on a tour of the UK, The Black Label was formed and feuds with the NAK who suddenly tried trying to be Austin (anti authority good guys) with Grado helping them, Nikki Storm left for America having never won gold in ICW, I had to suffer Trent Sevens moustache which still infuriates me and we are starting to be introduced to some new talent (Ravie Davie, Kez Evans, Buzzard and The Purge to name a few). 

It’s 1 year from the SECC and Fear and Loathing is at the Hydro. They are really going to have to pull out all the stops to top last year but what do we get? The main focus being the ownership angle between Red Lightning and Dallas which was one of the shittest storylines I can ever remember from any promotion I’ve watched. Trent and his moustache lose to Wolfgang in the title match and Team Dallas win the ownership match. We then finish with Coffey v a burst ball Kurt Angle. Nobody cared there was no buzz what so ever. It was absolutely pish. 

I didn’t want to give up on things so my next event was the square go which was shockingly down in Newcastle. Trent won the title, Girvan was being fast tracked to stardom and Coffey won the Square Go. In 2 years I had witnessed ICW peak and fall flat on its arse. 

I sadly drifted away but still caught bits online now and then but I just lost interest. I went an incredible 18 months without attending a show. We got nostalgic though and it was square go time so my partner and I thought let’s try it again and see if it gives us the spark it did first time round. I really enjoyed the show and I quickly fell in love with Ilja Dragunov. I was even happy for Faith and Girvan to get the tag tittles the later had grown on me, Angelico and Lionheart was a good match. I went home happy watching Red Lightning take the square go briefcase too. 

It was followed by a dreadful few months again though. At Shugs Hoose Party I was gutted to see Hendry go having never had the heavyweight title round his waist before he went and I just didn’t buy into Buzzard who then beat James Storm on night 2. Lightning winning the square was a waste as had been so many previous winners and other than the Thomson v Wolfgang match Fear and Loathing did nothing for me

I thought ok it’s worked twice before so let’s see if the next square go sparks that interest again. It started off ok for me as I was one of a few that liked Krieger and Sharps online videos and was pleased they won the titles. Dar winning the title done nothing for me he was already in WWE and Kez Evans winning the square go took me back to Dickie Divers and Red Lightning both winning and it meaning f**k all. 

That was my last event and shortly after everything came out about so many wrestlers some of them guys I had followed blindly, bought merch from and it was such an easy decision to never go back. Haven’t attended or even watched a show since. 

It was maybe hard with shows not being every week but my biggest takeaways from my time with ICW was just how erratic booking decisions were and just how quickly stories started then ended with no development and no pay off what so ever. 

One of the biggest mysteries of the world I have still never found an answer to. What did Chris Renfrew do??

9 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

The main focus being the ownership angle between Red Lightning and Dallas which was one of the shittest storylines I can ever remember from any promotion I’ve watched

Fucking hell that was dire. So, so pish. 

• 1 year later...
35 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Meltzer is saying that the Network will be closing down and content moved to Netflix internationally starting next year. How much of the archive that moves across is an unknown at this point.

Nick Khan mentioned the other day about the popularity of “drive to survive” documentaries. Hoping Netflix and wwe do one for next year.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Meltzer is saying that the Network will be closing down and content moved to Netflix internationally starting next year. How much of the archive that moves across is an unknown at this point.

While I wouldn't usually trust much of what big Dave says when he gets going, this is going to be the big question.  Part of what made the Network so brilliant was the wealth of content that it brought, and that you could pretty much drop into any era in WWE (or owned companies) history and watch pretty much anything from it.  We saw when Peacock took over that different companies start to have different ideas into what's appropriate, and stuff was censored, but I guess Netflix probably doesn't have too many issues with this given they host stuff worse without much issue.  But the question will be whether they're interested in having the whole back catalogue, or whether they're even capable. In pure terms, how big is WWE's catalogue compared to Netflix?  I wouldn't imagine they are a whole lot different, but say it's even half the size, would Netflix be able to or want to increase their content immediately by 150%?  Obviously more content is better for Netflix selling their product, but it's a lot to add that will likely appeal to a tiny slice of their membership.

To be fair, if they announce that the Network is dead, Netflix is taking over, and Raw, Smackdown, NXT and all PPVs will be live with catch-up and no delay, I'll be delighted.  I don't think I've used the Network for anything other than watching the most recent PPV on catch-up for a long time, so to be able to drop that and keep Netflix would definitely suit.  If they add even part of the archive, even better.

EDIT: And, like FifeArab said, get right in amongst documentaries.  They do far too few of them for how good they are.  Get one of those WWE24 ones for every big 4 show, and pepper in a few more if there's a story worth telling. 

Edited by forameus

• 3 weeks later...

I can possibly see them moving over the old raw and smackdowns along with the old ppv but everything else from the classic section only has certain dates and not showing the the whole run of the shows. 

• 3 weeks later...

Realised I'd missed an NXT PLE over the weekend so thought I'd catch up.  Greeted at the start with "you won't miss a minute of the action here".  5 minutes in to the first match, a near 4 minute advert for Wrestlemania and other Network programming.

I know WWE have always been about this kind of stuff, but they've gotten far worse recently.  AEW cram about 3hrs50mins of wrestling into a 4 hour show, WWE must be nearing about half their show not being matches at this stage.

EDIT: Actually, looks like this wasn't one from the weekend, and was just one of their branded weekly shows, which would explain the abundance of ad breaks.  Still, grumble grumble grumble.

Edited by forameus