WWE Network

Quentin Taranbino

51 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It was a good attempt at their own version of Dark Side of the Ring. I imagine Hulk Hogan being a c**t will be a topic in every episode.

Hogan pretending he regretted shitting all over WM9 was a highlight for me.

I loved Yoko when I was younger, mainly because I thought he could kick the shite out of Hogan, who I absolutely detested.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What do you mean?

I've no idea. Make of it what you will. Rollins gives off the sneaky anti-union vibe if he felt it would protect his spot to kibbosh it and get him in the boss's good books. Also really lame.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I've no idea. Make of it what you will. Rollins gives off the sneaky anti-union vibe if he felt it would protect his spot to kibbosh it and get him in the boss's good books. Also really lame.

Ah, I get you.

Oh, absolutely agreed that Rollins would be sprinting out the locker room and down the hall shouting "Vince! VINCE!" at the first whiff of union talks.

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Who’s the most Hogan member of the current roster? I would say Seth Rollins as a first hunch.

As I’m only a casual observer (rarely) of weekly episodic WWE, I’m going to think outside the box here and say Nia Jax. 

She has to be Vince’s mole as surely  being The Rock’s cousin isn’t reason enough alone to explain why possibly the most unsafe worker I’ve ever seen hasn’t been Ryback’d outta there. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Peacock seem to be censoring quite a bit of stuff on their version of the network.

https://www.postwrestling.com/2021/03/24/pollocks-news-update-wwe-network-content-edited-off-peacock/

While not unexpected, the editing of certain WWE content on Peacock has begun. It was noted Wednesday morning that the Roddy Piper vs. Bad News Brown match has been edited off Peacock’s version of WrestleMania 6 where Piper painted half his body black, including his face. The segment from the Survivor Series in 2005 where Vince McMahon flippantly uses the n-word with John Cena and proceeds to walk past a stunned Booker T. and Sharmell, has also been removed. One user noted to us that among the 2009 episodes of Raw, the June 22nd edition where Donald Trump buys the WWE doesn’t appear to be there.

It opens up Pandora’s box of what Peacock is comfortable adding to its service when there is so much past content from WWE that doesn’t hold up to societal standards of today. This is directly attached to the most valuable portion of WWE’s library to its current fanbase – the Attitude Era. There is so much language, angles, and content from 1997 onward that will present issues and test Peacock’s comfort level and what standards they will hold themselves to. It only takes a minute for any viewer of that era to recall the countless angles and promos that would not stand a prayer of evading criticism today and emphasizes the edict that pro wrestling largely received a pass.

The same can be said for archived content from WCW, ECW, Smoky Mountain Wrestling, and other libraries. Then, there is the subject of Chris Benoit, whose matches have been preserved in all of WWE’s archives and would require enormous editing.

There is also the mixed message of decrying racist content on the WWE Network while putting Hulk Hogan front-and-center as the host of WrestleMania on the Peacock platform in several weeks.

The calculus on the part of Peacock is what resources are they willing to invest to edit around WWE content knowing that in the grand scheme, it’s a small portion of the audience that is invested in the archives. The bread-and-butter of this deal is new and live content, primarily the pay-per-views rather than episodes of Raw from 1998. Now, there is an audience that wants the archives, but how big is that number and does it justify the added expenses to edit and scrub through the countless hours of programming?

season 9 GIF

Interesting to see where it leads.  Not that Piper's act should have happened by any means, but I still find the complete removal of stuff like that a bit off.  I liked the way Disney did it with some of their more...problematic older titles.  Just put up a warning saying that there is content that doesn't represent their values as a company now.  I'm sure WWE already do that on some shows way back in the day.  I think highlighting that it's wrong probably does more to educate than just pretending it doesn't exist.

Because if they start pulling at that thread, Attitude Era is fucked.