What is the oldest game you still play?

SuperTon

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With me only doing pc games now its gotta be c&c: red alert 2

If i could i would so play cannon fodder again

Cannon Fodder is brilliant! I mind the loading screen showed all the wee graves of guys you'd lost. It got utterly solid later on mind. Firing about on the skidu was great fun.

Command and Conquer

Timeless. Still great music as well, with 'Mechanical Man' being a favourite.

Command and Conquer

The original is a classic but the upgrades they made in the next set of c&c games made the original virtually unplayable

For example the ability to build more than one unit of the same type at a time, not having that now is bloody murder

Still though, trampling a nod base with a dozen mammoth tanks, orcas as back ups and a shit load of humvees was unbelievable fun

Cannon Fodder is brilliant! I mind the loading screen showed all the wee graves of guys you'd lost. It got utterly solid later on mind. Firing about on the skidu was great fun.

Aye you seen your recruits lining up over the hill, then once you started losing more than you gained the line went shorter

The later levels were at times nigh on impossible, but cracking fun all the same

On another note, mind worms and worms armageddon, a simple game style that was oh oh so addictive

The original is a classic but the upgrades they made in the next set of c&c games made the original virtually unplayable

For example the ability to build more than one unit of the same type at a time, not having that now is bloody murder

Still though, trampling a nod base with a dozen mammoth tanks, orcas as back ups and a shit load of humvees was unbelievable fun

I got the "First Decade" pack a while ago and I've been giving all the old ones a shot. Remember the PatSux cheat for the super easy skirmish and 10 commandos?

Tiberium Sun is the best by far

Aye you seen your recruits lining up over the hill, then once you started losing more than you gained the line went shorter

The later levels were at times nigh on impossible, but cracking fun all the same

On another note, mind worms and worms armageddon, a simple game style that was oh oh so addictive

The first two Worms games were an utter triumph. So easy to play and get immersed in and so much fun. Me and friends spent a long time playing this. The later Worms games massively ripped the arse out of it mind.

In a similar vein, Hogs Of War remains a glorious game. I of course am a fantastic player at it, and gave regular thrashings to Steampingparboz when we played against each other.

In the campaign the last level is an utter b*****d. You have to be deadly with every turn you have. One miss or one f**k up and you're done.

I got the "First Decade" pack a while ago and I've been giving all the old ones a shot. Remember the PatSux cheat for the super easy skirmish and 10 commandos?

Tiberium Sun is the best by far

Yeah the patsux was hilarious

Mind the covertops, they were fucking solid, the best one was the nod mission "last stand"

Was also playing Blade Runner a few weeks ago too.

I presume you mean the Westwood Studios version from 1997 as opposed to the 1985 version by CLR. Cleverly CLR, who were a very small company who couldn't afford the licence rights for either the film or the book, decided to licence the Vangelis soundtrack and said the game was "inspired" from that - even though it's clearly based on the film.

As for me, probably the oldest game I play on a regular basis is OpenTTD, which is essentially the open source version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe which came out in 1995.

I presume you mean the Westwood Studios version from 1997 as opposed to the 1985 version by CLR. Cleverly CLR, who were a very small company who couldn't afford the licence rights for either the film or the book, decided to licence the Vangelis soundtrack and said the game was "inspired" from that - even though it's clearly based on the film.

Well, obviously :P

Archived