Footballing Clichés

Seymour Skinner

Yes, I'd say that's my current most annoying one. As you say, it's trotted out by managers, in relation to any away match at all and without any regard at all to how the opponents are doing. Pete Houston was always particularly mindless with such things as I recall.

Caley always get that. We had several years when we couldn't really buy a win at home and yet people always came out with "this is a difficult place to come" and "they can take on anyone at home". Well no, we were pish at home.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Manchester United are never more dangerous than when they're a goal down"

Aye, cuz when they're 3-0 up, anyone can beat them. :rolleyes:

I'm in Colorado and feel your pain. Although we can blame Tommy Smyth for many of them.

"P.K. spot" for penalty spot is one that always ticked me off. Also his inanities like "Ronaldo just couldn't get his big toe on that one" or "Liverpool really need to start attacking more". Then 2 minutes later when Liverpool get the ball near the goal "Just like I predicted, Liverpool are now attacking more".

Then the one which made me grind my teeth and start considering a gun collection. "Right in the back of the ol' onion bag."

Twat.

Never understood the "back of the net" one. Surely the ball hits the front of the net when it's a goal?

"You can only beat what's in front of you." Trotted out when a big team scrapes past a bunch of diddies 1-0. Absolutely infuriates me.

Was pretty fitting for Man Utd when they got to the 2011 champs league final

"(Insert venue) is a difficult place to come and get a result." Surely you get a "result" in every match, a win, defeat or draw.

"It's a big ask." Sorry, "ask" is a verb, not a noun. It also just sounds stupid.

Schoolboy defending.

"Plucky." Used to describe the small team who have lost narrowly to a big team who, of course, as someone has already said, can only beat what's put in front of them.

We're going to be fucking swamped with cliches are next year's world cup, Brazilian football seems to spawn so many. Watch out for "spiritual home of football" or "home of the beautiful game", they'll be used a lot. I expect to see lots of "Brazilian flair" mixed in with "samba rhythms". And when a Brazilian footballer miscontrols the ball the commentator WILL say "you don't expect to see that from a Brazilian".

We're going to be fucking swamped with cliches are next year's world cup, Brazilian football seems to spawn so many. Watch out for "spiritual home of football" or "home of the beautiful game", they'll be used a lot. I expect to see lots of "Brazilian flair" mixed in with "samba rhythms". And when a Brazilian footballer miscontrols the ball the commentator WILL say "you don't expect to see that from a Brazilian".

At least we shouldn't get: "If a Brazilian had done that..."

Archived