Gibraltarwatch

HibeeJibee

Shame they couldn't have got the further goal to make it 3-3, who knows what might have happened.

As I alluded to previously, their realistic aim in this tie was to get a coefficient point and have a good go at it, and tbf, they did both. Got a point from the home draw, and few would've predicted they'd be 3-4 with under 10mins left.

Edited by HibeeJibee

It's somewhere I've always fancied visiting. Hopefully Killie get back into Europe at some point soon and we might end up there.

Definitely the one away ground I want to visit this season if I get the chance to take in a few Aarau games.

• 1 month later...

It was looking so good at half-time when it was 1-0...

Having not watched the game or anything around it, no idea if it was 7 going on 27 or just them collapsing late on, but it's the first big test they've had. A chastening introduction to competitive football, and it's hard to see them not getting a few more like that over this campaign. I would think they'd improve slightly once they're actually allowed to play in Gibraltar come Euro 2020 qualifying, although what kind of home advantage they'll get given their population, I'm not sure.

Georgia are probably the team they need to concentrate on to get something, unless we revert back to our historic ability to be completely abject when faced with a very winnable game.

What a fucking waste of space Gibraltar are.

There was a clown in the Racing Post telling mugs that the odds on there being under 3.5 goals were way too long.

Oh dear. Village team plays Poland. Result not surprising.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot about this thread last month. My prediction was that their only realistic hope of points this campaign would be against Georgia, also that they would take a number of hidings, but I had not envisaged they'd do as badly as this... Things were actually looking OK for them having got to HT at only 0-1 down to Poland: very unfortunate they collapsed after HT then again just before FT.

In other news - FIFA's today rejected their application for membership of the world body, so the GFA has announced they're off to CAS again. Also, they are looking to moving their qualifiers in 2015 (which would include v Scotland) to London instead of Faro, while the new stadium is built. Seem to be a variety of reasons cited: crowds, tax problems in Portugal, and travelling via Spain.

They didn't.

People claiming to be agents have been pretending to be GFA officials, presumably as a deception to try to get cash out of naieve players.

GFA deny using agents to approach potential players

The GFA have come out today to state that they do not use agents from either Gibraltar or abroad to approach players who are eligible to represent Gibraltar, after quotes from Oldham manager Lee Johnson suggested that an agent asked him to play for the national team against Poland.

In an article on the official Football League website, Johnson, 33, was quoted as saying that an agent approached him with an offer to come out of retirement and represent Gibraltar in the qualifier versus Poland earlier this month. Johnson turned down the approach from said agent.

However, an official GFA statement this afternoon states that they do not use agents to approach players to potentially represent Gibraltar. This would suggest that the agent who approached Johnson was dodgy, and that the Oldham manager perhaps saved himself the hassle, and some embarrassment, by not agreeing to said agents request.

Further clarification on the Johnson/Gibraltar story

Earlier today, a story appeared on the Football League website about Oldham manager Lee Johnson claiming he was approached by an agent to represent Gibraltar against Poland in the qualifier. The GFA since came out to deny the use of any agent to approach potential players, and Gibraltar Assistant Manager David Wilson has kindly got in contact to help clarify the situation further.

Wilson said: “At no time has the player/manager in question been considered by our technical team, and especially no one representing the national team or it’s association has been given permission to speak to a player other than myself or the gaffer (Allen Bula). We certainly would not be stupid enough to not easily research that a player was not playing football.”

He went on to say: “This has been a fraudulent approach by a fraud who 100% did not have our national teams interests at heart. Only personal gain”

The story itself, while on the whole a bit bizarre, has bought to light the fact that there are agents out there claiming to represent the GFA, who are falsely offering players the chance to represent the national team. As well as this, there will also be agents from abroad who may approach Gibraltar players, especially the younger ones, offering them opportunities at professional sides in Europe or beyond. Not all of these agents are legitimate, and the fraudulent ones could easily leave a player and his family out of pocket.

• 2 weeks later...