Gibraltarwatch

HibeeJibee

To be fair Estonia made the play off for the last euros, something Scotland haven't done for a decade or so.

We beat them at Pittodrie in Gordon Strachan's first game and they offered nothing. Basically camped in their own half for the entire game. The rankings aren't perfect, but there's a reason why we're 71 places ahead of them.

hm Estonia have qualified for a tournament play off more recently than Scotland.

Admittedly they have slipped back a little since those games against the Republic of Ireland in 2012, a long serving and successful manager (Tarmo Rüütli) has gone, and been replaced by a near-unknown Swedish guy who looks like an unpopular geography teacher, with a deeply underwhelming managerial career to date.

Estonia aren't the side they were a while back but this is still a horrendous result for them. Just as well the game was more for the benefit of Estonia's top goalscorer Andreas Öper, who is retiring; the locals cared much more about that, than the result of the game.

They lost 4-1 to the Faroe Islands for f**k sake. I know we've slipped up against minnows in the past, but we should be humping this mob. And with Strachan in charge, I think we will.

In official internationals they've drawn 1-1 away v Estonia, 0-0 v Slovakia in Portugal, and lost 1-4 v Faroes and 0-2 v Estonia at home.

Back in 2011 they beat the Faroes at home 3-0, tbf.

With points at stake I expect everyone, apart from perhaps Georgia, to beat them in the upcoming qualifiers. Often comfortably.

hm Estonia have qualified for a tournament play off more recently than Scotland.

Admittedly they have slipped back a little since those games against the Republic of Ireland in 2012, a long serving and successful manager (Tarmo Rüütli) has gone, and been replaced by a near-unknown Swedish guy who looks like an unpopular geography teacher, with a deeply underwhelming managerial career to date.

Estonia aren't the side they were a while back but this is still a horrendous result for them. Just as well the game was more for the benefit of Estonia's top goalscorer Andreas Öper, who is retiring; the locals cared much more about that, than the result of the game.

While they got some impressive results in that qualifying campaign, they didn't necessarily earn 2nd place on footballing merit given that Serbia had a game awarded 3-0 against them.

Serbia were a complete shambles in that campaign, probably their worst since the end of Yugoslavia. Estonia beat them 3-1 in Belgrade, so I think Serbia did most of the damage to themselves, in all honesty.

Estonia finished second on merit in a very weird group. I challenge you to look at the video below and claim otherwise :D

But, I agree, it will be a long time before they get a chance like that again.

I know it's just Malta, but the fact they've not been absolutely horsed yet, even by minnows, is worrying. I foresee one of those games where nothing goes right when we go to the Algarve, especially if we have to get a result.

I know it's just Malta, but the fact they've not been absolutely horsed yet, even by minnows, is worrying. I foresee one of those games where nothing goes right when we go to the Algarve, especially if we have to get a result.

It can happen...

_40455901_faroe.jpg

When's their first game against a top side? Like Scotland, for example. A top, top side.

Poland in Faro on the 7th of September. Or Germany a few games later. Poland will be the first "big" team they've played at least, in their first international game.