Gibraltarwatch

HibeeJibee

What I don't understand is how Gibraltar's current stadium is not up to UEFA requirements but apparently the stadiums of San Marino and Andorra are.

They can hold friendlies... host the Faroes tomorrow and Estonia and Wednesday. Apparently problem is lack of medical facilities, and other 'behind-the-scenes' stuff, and there isn't space.

Plus its capacity would be too small for their needs.

Yeh, not surprising really given the need for a lighthouse to be built there.

Aye.

I'm no mariner but it must be pretty embarrassing to run your ship aground directly under a lighthouse...

Edited by HibeeJibee

Higginbotham has announced he'll retire after Wednesday's game v Estonia. Although he had previously indicated his intention to retire at the end of this season, it's still a major blow to them, because of his experience. While they have a number of other UK-based professionals available, none of them has played at level Higginbotham has in terms of the English Premier League etc.

Ahead of their game against the Faroe Islands tonight there also seems to have been an outbreak of a "virus" among the Gibraltar squad, which isn't the best preparation.

Gibraltar 1-4 Faroe Islands

Dreadful result for the Rock in their first-ever home international. Shaken by a food bug there was also a surprise in the selection, with Higginbotham and young striker Reece Styche the only UK-based pros in their starting XI... David Artell of Wrexham and Adam Priestley of Farsley Celtic having to settle for the bench, Hernandez (Cadiz) left out totally. Took the lead on 25mins through veteran skipper Roy Chipolina, but 2-1 at HT and worse in 2nd half.

Admittedly this was a weakened Gibraltar XI: 3 professionals unavailable due to the international window rules, while the Faroes were only missing keeper Gunnar Nielsen. Not to mention the pair left on the bench. But from social media it seems clear most locals hoped for a win, having won 3-0 in 2011. So this is not a good result at all. It'll be interesting to see how their full-strength team fare against a substantially more capable Estonia on Wednesday.

Bubble burst.

Edited by HibeeJibee

It's my back as well you and the World Cup media circus know.

In any case, I've signed for Iran on a 3 year deal with my win bonus being as much Iranian beer as I can drink.

An Aberdeen supporting Arab? Very suspicious circumstances.

Estonia are no mugs, having got to the Euro 2012 playoffs - so it's definetely an improvement for the Rock. Moreso as the second goal came at 9min left. Gibraltar seem to have produced a number of scoring opportunities too.

They had another unfortunate selection blow yesterday when Scott Wiseman of Preston North End had to withdraw... his wife had gone into labour! They dropped Reece Styche to the bench, but with Liam Walker available he started as did David Artell. Southampton's youth keeper Will Britt doesn't seem to have made the matchday squad at all.

Apparently that's Estonia now played all 53 UEFA members.

Next up for Gibraltar... Estonia again, return match in May.

People who think that Gibraltar are going to do anything other than take a dry length straight up the farter in every single qualifier they play should probably be locked up tbh.

...but but but they have a player from Wrexham and PNE. No mugs. :lol:

Erm sorry, will look forward to HJ's regular updates of San Marino or indeed the Faroes vastly superior showings compared to the as expected laughing stock status of this barren rock.

I personally find their transition into UEFA quite interesting and always read this thread when there's a new post in it. It's pretty obvious what the content will be in this topic - if you're not interested then don't read it.